H20 OTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lkr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
I plugged the antenna into the H20 OTA slot. How do I scan? There isn't a 'menu' like on E*. Also, how do I enable DD?

well it took forever, but i finally found the expandable menu. the mini menu should be disabled, it doesn't do anything to help

I plugged the antenna into the H20 OTA slot. How do I scan? There isn't a 'menu' like on E*. Also, how do I enable DD?

You can't scan. You input a primary and a secondary zip for 2 DMAs. It will download and show you what channels you "should" be able to get. Select the ones you can.

"Forever"? Did you push the "menu" button? Why would that take forever? It will show you a sub-menu of all the areas )sound) that you can change.
Use the menu button to enter the menu and select the audio options you choose.

There is no "mini-menu". There is a mini-GUIDE!. Two different things. Unless you are talking about the yellow button feature and that is specific to where you are in the system.

When I hit Menu, a little thing pops up and I have to go down to setup and then another large menu pops up. That is what I meant.

Also, whether I crop, pillarbox, stretch, etc, D* stretches my SD channels. If I put my TV on 'Normal' mode, it puts HD channels in 4:3. Do I have to put on Native to keep my SD channels unstretched?

edit: it is actually only ESPN classic on which this happens. I don't wanna see already very bad PQ stretched to look even worse!

You can't scan. You input a primary and a secondary zip for 2 DMAs. It will download and show you what channels you "should" be able to get. Select the ones you can.

The H20s actually can scan for OTAs. I had one for about 2 years. The H20s were the very first of the H model HD receivers for D*. Now the H21s and later and the HR2x DVRs can't scan.

When I hit Menu, a little thing pops up and I have to go down to setup and then another large menu pops up. That is what I meant.

Also, whether I crop, pillarbox, stretch, etc, D* stretches my SD channels. If I put my TV on 'Normal' mode, it puts HD channels in 4:3. Do I have to put on Native to keep my SD channels unstretched?

edit: it is actually only ESPN classic on which this happens. I don't wanna see already very bad PQ stretched to look even worse!

My TV set will fill the screen when watching SD if either the D* box or TV is set to aspect 16:9. I get best picture by doing as much processing of video in TV set as possible, so I use the Native ON, Original Format, 4:3 aspect (D* box only), and set my all the resolutions I can display, 480p to 1080p(all frames).

You may have to set both TV and D* box aspects at 4:3 to avoid the SD stretching.

Channel change will be about 3 to 4 seconds with Native set to ON; it's not the TV set but the D* box trying to match original broadcast and channel surfers find it to be slow. I like Native ON for PQ and don't mind the wait.

But some just prefer fixed resolution with Native OFF and I guess in that setup, Original Format is optional. Whichever works for you is best.

I put it on pillarbox and everything works except ESPN classic...odd

I must say I love the PQ. Much better than E*. I don't know if it was because I was on a community dish being stretched over several miles and being used by over 500 people, or if D* is that much better.

I put it on pillarbox and everything works except ESPN classic...odd

I must say I love the PQ. Much better than E*. I don't know if it was because I was on a community dish being stretched over several miles and being used by over 500 people, or if D* is that much better.

IMO, D* is better now.

E* & D* have swapped the lead in PQ.

When I went to E*, their PQ was better than what I had in late 2008 when I left D*. But when I came back to D* in May, this year, I found a lot of PQ and HD improvements.

The H20s actually can scan for OTAs. I had one for about 2 years. The H20s were the very first of the H model HD receivers for D*. Now the H21s and later and the HR2x DVRs can't scan.

Yes, you are right. For some reason I saw HR20 - which CANNOT scan ( I guess because that is what I have - need to read better :p )

Sorry about that! :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)