H20 Purchase and activation question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JustanOldfart

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 22, 2005
Fredericksburg, TX
Warning, noob question:eek: If I purchase a new H20 off of Ebay can I just have it activated for my present SD programming package and use it for OTA hd locals or will D* require me to subscribe to an HD package? I would eventually subscribe to the HD package when hd locals become available from D*.

JustanOldfart said:
Warning, noob question:eek: If I purchase a new H20 off of Ebay can I just have it activated for my present SD programming package and use it for OTA hd locals or will D* require me to subscribe to an HD package? I would eventually subscribe to the HD package when hd locals become available from D*.

To answer your question, no you would not be required to get the HD package but the receiver will still function as an OTA receiver without being activated.

Jim

Justin, yes you can activate the receiver and not have to subscribe to the HD package and still receive OTA HD. That's what I did for over a year when I purchased my H10. In addition, you should not be made to commit to any thing since you did not purchase the receiver from D*. The reason D* make you commit to a 2 year agreement is when you buy one from them you are getting it at less then cost for them. Since you are getting it from a third party the commitment is off.

gibbsjf53 said:
To answer your question, no you would not be required to get the HD package but the receiver will still function as an OTA receiver without being activated.

Jim

Not my H20. I had to activate it to get the ota channels.

gibbsjf53 said:

Jim
Not "TRUE" anymore!!!!
D* have sneakily made it so you have to have an active account in order to receive HD OTA. Without an active and account a activated H20 receiver, you will "NOT" get OTA HD locals!:mad:

Guys the question was does he have to subscribe to the HD package in order for the receiver to pickup OTA HD and the question is no. Of course the receiver has to be activated but he already has D*.

Also he will not need to order the HD package to receive the locals they are not part of the HD package. As long as he has a package with locals he will receive them in HD when available.

Hey guys thanks for all the info. I called D* today to activate the receiver and can verify that the ota channels don't work until activation. Other than that it was quite painless.

Did they activate the box as a purchased receiver or a leased receiver?
Check your recent activity at the D* web site.

Monthly cost is no different, but if it was activated as leased, you will have to return it to D* if you cancel service. D* will also replace defective leased receivers at no charge.

It was set up as a leased receiver that replaced an existing receiver. As you said the cost is the same and D* will replace it if it breaks so I won't be stuck with a dead box. The odds are very slim that I will be canceling service any time soon.

TulsaCoker said:
Justin, yes you can activate the receiver and not have to subscribe to the HD package and still receive OTA HD. That's what I did for over a year when I purchased my H10. In addition, you should not be made to commit to any thing since you did not purchase the receiver from D*. The reason D* make you commit to a 2 year agreement is when you buy one from them you are getting it at less then cost for them. Since you are getting it from a third party the commitment is off.

I'm not sure about that. In April, I purchased an HR10-250 from a 3rd party and had to fight with DTV to list it as owned vs leased. After trying the unit for 3 days, I returned it due to it's SLOW performance. I canceled DTV service and was hit with a cancellation fee. When I called and spoke to two supervisors, I was told that everytime you add a new or used receiver to your account, they add a 1-2 yr to your contract depending on the equipment. Re-activating a previously owned/activated receiver in your account is ok. When I ask if I could go to Best buy and buy 3 new receivers to replace 3 different brand receivers, they said that transaction would add another yr to my service.

Your mileage may vary depending on who you talk to at DTV.

BTW, I was let off the hook because I did not have the HR10-250 and could prove it to them with the return receipt.

In any event, I went back to DTV 2 months later after our cable company told me they had no immediate plans to switch their analog lineup to digital. Also, they do not offer the NFL network and with the NFL approaching, I decided to get the ST.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)