H20 swap-out for heat (reboot) - 2 year commitment??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JonUrban

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Eastern Connecticut
I have an H20-600 and, of course, it has the reboot problem and is hotter than heck. It's one I bought at Best Buy. I got the $200 rebate deal when I bought it a few months ago.

Anyway, I called Customer Service with the problem, and they told me they would send out a new receiver with a new 2 year commitment?? :eek:

When I questioned the CSR, he back pedaled as I informed him that I bought, not leased, my H20. I dropped the point after that, figuring I would take up the argument once the new receiver was here.

My question is this - Is this normal? Should I have to extend my commitment to 2 years because my receiver is defective?

:mad:

They don't want to replace the unit you own, they want to give you a new unit which means a new contract. If you'd purchased the H20 under the lease problem, *then* they would swap it.

Call and ask for customer retention...a friendly conversation works wonders.

_If_ the OP pays the protection plan, it seems to me, they should not add a commitment either, if the OP does NOT have the proterction plan, I suggest he get it, wait 31 days, then do it.

JonUrban said:
Isn't there a warranty? The receiver is only a few months old. This seems very bizarre to me.

I believe (as in not 100% sure) that units generally have a 90 day warrantee (this may vary from state to state, it also possibly varies from model to model). And I agree, it seems unfair, as landlocked suggested, you can try to call retention (800-824-9081), and explain why you don't think it's fair, if your account is in good standing, they'll help you out.

Last edited:
Not really sure what is 'unfair'. The receiver has a 90 day warranty. DirecTV offers a protection plan for those that want additional coverage. Sounds like a very legitimate business plan to me. You want coverage - its available, you want to roll the dice, be prepared to shoot snake eyes - thats whats called gambling IMO.

Whatever you buy, if you do NOT take the time to understand the terms and conditions, warranties, and the such, that is your own fault. It has nothing to do with DirecTV or a department store or whatever.

That being said, the fact remains that if you take the right approach and get an understanding CSR - they will probably try to accomodate you.

I don't see ANYTHING wrong with the policy offered by DirecTV, and if I did, I wouldn't be a customer.

ScoBuck said:
Not really sure what is 'unfair'. The receiver has a 90 day warranty. DirecTV offers a protection plan for those that want additional coverage. Sounds like a very legitimate business plan to me. You want coverage - its available, you want to roll the dice, be prepared to shoot snake eyes - thats whats called gambling IMO.

As I stated, if he has the prot plan (OR he is paying a lease fee for it), they'll cover it, what is unfair is to stick him with a 2 year commit (which is the topic) for what is essentially a swap, not a addition or upgrade, there is a recent user who swapped out (AND added 1 or 2, and, all were bought from valueelectronics (i.e. not D*)) to boot and did not get any commit, urls below:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=70924

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=71828

ScoBuck said:
Whatever you buy, if you do NOT take the time to understand the terms and conditions, warranties, and the such, that is your own fault. It has nothing to do with DirecTV or a department store or whatever.

No argument with that. I agree 100%, but he is asking for help, all we can do is try. :)

ScoBuck said:
That being said, the fact remains that if you take the right approach and get an understanding CSR - they will probably try to accomodate you.

Again, agreed, except I'd suggest retention instead.

ScoBuck said:
I don't see ANYTHING wrong with the policy offered by DirecTV, and if I did, I wouldn't be a customer.

While I don't doubt you for a second, that's rather subjective. :)

Last edited:
My problem is that this heat problem is a design flaw. It's not like it was a random deal that the thing failed. To me, this is something that they should cover.

But that's just me. I will talk with the retention people after it shows up. At that point, I will decide what I will do with regard to D*.

damaged said:
As I stated, if he has the prot plan (OR he is paying a lease fee for it), they'll cover it, what is unfair is to stick him with a 2 year commit (which is the topic) for what is essentially a swap, not a addition or upgrade

Well - we do agree on most, but not this point. What they are saying in effect is - your current receiver is not working, it is not covered any longer by warranty - you chose NOT to have protection plan (that was YOUR CHOICE NOT OURS, WE OFFERED IT TO YOU).

That being the bottom line, what we will do for free (but with a 2 year commitment) is send you a NEW H20 - Which they have NO OBLIGATION TO DO FOR FREE.

I think thats more than fair - new receviers, but they want to make sure that they get a return on their investment of equipment - I see nothing wrong with that.

I had a different problem with my H20-600 and got a brand new H20-100 (because I specifically asked for one) without a new service contract. I was in the exact same situation as you as far as the owned / leased deal, but I said "yes" to the service plan. Maybe that was the difference.

Well, I received a new H20. The new unit was a "100". Much lighter and with a different back end than the 600. This one was made in Mexico, my 600 was Korean.

Quite a big weight difference, I must say. I spoke with the CSR who activated it, and explained the situation. She said I would have no further commitment than my original one, so that worked out. I then told her to sign me up for the service plan! :D

So, all is well. What the heck is the deal with the 600? Is there a thread that goes into why it weighs so much more, and why it gets so hot?

Thanks to all!

I don't have any problems with my 2 H20s, except for the heat, which I must say is quite annoying.

Do you think they would swap for H20-100s just because of the heat?

Has anyone tried one of those laptop computer coolers? I am wondering if you could draw power from the USB port on the receiver to attach it. It would have to stay on all of the time, so I'm not sure this is a good idea or not.

cal87 said:
Has anyone tried one of those laptop computer coolers? I am wondering if you could draw power from the USB port on the receiver to attach it. It would have to stay on all of the time, so I'm not sure this is a good idea or not.

Yes, the Chillpad works great for this.

UPDATE: I received a new H20 from D*, and even signed up for the Protection Plan. However, the new receiver failed within a day. Signal strength would go to ZERO on all transponders until the receiver was reset. I put a signal strength meter on the cable, and the signal was always fine. Resetting the H20 with the "red button" would get everything back, but only for an hour or so.

SO............I called D*, explained the problem, but they told me they could not send me out a new receiver because of a "Searching for Satellite" error unless I had a second receiver that would prove the signal was good. Since I only had the one H20, she said that she could not send another unit - she'd have to send a tech out at $70!! I explained to them that the signal meter indicated that the signal was fine, and after resetting the receiver the signal was fine, but she said no way could she send a new receiver. I told her I would wait the month and then call for service.

However, after fuming for a few minutes, I called to cancel D*. It was not worth it for me, as I only used it for YES anyway. I got right to a person when I said the word "cancel". She tried to persuade me to stay, but I had had it. I've had E* since the days of the 4000 and 5000, and have never had such problems with CSRs. So I cancelled.

Now I don't have to worry about it. The only problem is I have an H20 that is bad, and probably has to be junked. Sucks.

If anyone ever asks me about Satellite again, as they often do, I will gladly recommend E*, but steer them away from D*. That company is a joke, even if they have great sports. I can live without YES.

Status
Please reply by conversation.