H21-100 Setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lilgary98

Original poster
May 12, 2013
Crivitz, WI
I have a question on setup. For two years I have used my H21 in our park model trailer at our permanent site. Just had to hook it up and did not have to redo setup. Last fall at home I changed to the whole house setup -SWiM. This receiver is normally in our basement rec room. Yesterday I connected it in the camper and I am getting message 775 that the receiver is not communicating with the dish. I went to rerun the setup and this has changed so I need help. I am a novice. What needs to be changed to rerun setup to go back to the slimline setup with a straight run connected to RV using b band converter.

When you re-run setup, you need to tell the receiver what kind of dish setup you have at the park. This will have to be done each and every time you visit the park.

Coming home, it should recognize that it is connected to a SWiM system.

The setup is our dish setup and not the parks. It is a once a year setup because it is a permanent site. I changed the setup to slimline 5 and multiswitch and ran it and it still gave me the same error message 775.

I changed the setup to slimline 5 and multiswitch and ran it and it still gave me the same error message 775.
Try running a system test. If it tells you that you have a SWiM failure, you weren't successful in effecting the setup change.

I have a nagging recollection that the 775 error is the SWiM version of the 771a communications failure error.

You need to connect the receiver to the trailer dish. Then go to satellite setup. Select "multiswitch" first and then the dish type.

And if it is an HD dish, you will need a B-band converter attached to the receiver.

so long as the dish at the trailer park is a slimline 5, you should just need to add the bbc, then rerun setup (repeat satellite setup, slimline 5, and multiswitch) continue, etc. If that doesnt work then try to "reset everything" from the menu. Also in the setup screen you should be able to check the signal strength, make sure the dish is peaked.

i just got back up here and tried the setup again. Same message 775 came up so I know it did not get through the complete setup because 775 is the SWiM error. I changed the cable to the dish and no luck. Then I tried the cable inside and no luck. Then I decided to remove the BBC and run the cable direct, It then went through the whole setup but of course I did not get any HD channels. But at least the multiswitch setup took because I see the 771 error on the HD channels. I then put the BBC back on and redid the setup and it would not complete. So apparently my problem is a bad B Band Converter. At least I can get the regular channels until I can get to the directv dealer.

Is this at your home where the swm setup is? If so, then you don't need the bbc.

Yes, but how can you get a 775 error message on a non swm setup?

You can't get a 775 on a non-SWM system, unless the receiver was not reset to non-SWM status. I suspect this was initially not done correctly. The receiver needs to be connected to the non-SWM dish, go into satellite setup, set multiswitch type to "multiswitch", then set the correct dish type.
It looks like the OP finally did this, and got SD channels only because his BBC was faulty.

My problem is at our trailer in the campground which is a permanent site with a fixed dish. For years this unit was working fine with the unit and the original BBC. This year our home setup went to SWiM and they no longer needed the BBC and the tech took all of them back. I had an extra BBC at the trailer that was never used. When I took our basement unit to the campground and tried to rerun the setup to multi-switch, it would not complete the setup getting a 775 error -receiver is not communicating with dish. This is a SWiM error so I know it did not complete. Yesterday I tried the setup again and got the same error. I then tried changing cable inside and out and it did not work. Then I tried rerunning it without the BBC and it completed the setup for the multi-switch with slimline 5 but of course I was only getting regular programming. I then put the BBC back on and it again said it wasn't getting the signal but wasn't a 775 error this time. My plan was to get another BBC and try it again. Any other suggestions?

If you have a faulty BBC this makes complete sense. When you tried to get the receiver back to non-SWM with the BBC connected, it would not do that because the faulty BBC meant the receiver was not connected to the dish, so it stayed in SWM mode and gave the 775. When you removed the BBC, it connected to the dish and went into non-SWM mode but of course without the B-band satellites because there was no BBC. A new BBC should solve this problem.

Faulty BBCs are quite common, Usually it's a broken center conductor somewhere.

Now that I get where you are when trying to get the H21 to work, I agree it's most likely a bad BBC.

Excellent! I'm glad to hear you are up and running again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)