H21 Software Release 0x42eb

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Shall I assume that SatelliteGuys.US does not care or support H21 owners?

I don't know what's new between what it told us was new in the "Your receiver has been updated!" pop-up, but performance-wise the new firmware is terrible for me. It is SO UNBELIEVABLY SLOW to respond to button presses, even slower than it used to be (which was much slower than my SD box) and the worst part is that it seems like about 1/4 of the time when I change channels my TV just shows "No video signal" or "Invalid video format". Sometimes pressing the guide button will make the picture show, other times I have to channel channels back and forth until it shows up.

Problems that I had with previous firmware still exist. If I have it on a channel with an overlay (every sports channel) when I turn on my TV, it does not work until I press the guide or info button. And my same old problem of SD channels 50% of the time not having sound still exists, but has been extended to happening to some HD channels sometimes as well.

I don't know if those problems are the fault of the TV or the receiver (probably a combination of the two not working well together), but it has been very annoying and disappointing.

I assume there's no way to go back to the old firmware...

Last edited:
I don't know what's new between what it told us was new in the "Your receiver has been updated!" pop-up, but performance-wise the new firmware is terrible for me. It is SO UNBELIEVABLY SLOW to respond to button presses, even slower than it used to be (which was much slower than my SD box) and the worst part is that it seems like about 1/4 of the time when I change channels my TV just shows "No video signal" or "Invalid video format". Sometimes pressing the guide button will make the picture show, other times I have to channel channels back and forth until it shows up.

Problems that I had with previous firmware still exist. If I have it on a channel with an overlay (every sports channel) when I turn on my TV, it does not work until I press the guide or info button. And my same old problem of SD channels 50% of the time not having sound still exists, but has been extended to happening to some HD channels sometimes as well.

I don't know if those problems are the fault of the TV or the receiver (probably a combination of the two not working well together), but it has been very annoying and disappointing.

I assume there's no way to go back to the old firmware...

Yes SatGuys covers the H21 rec. in the CE section.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...61-h21-h23-ce-release-v-4339-7-17-7-18-a.html

Thats where you'll find update info normally unless it's one that D* pushed ....
I don't use the H21 so I don't know what the current National Release (NR) is.
Is this software you mentioned the NR or a CE (cutting Edge update) ...
If it's a CE update, YES you can go back to the NR, but if it's a D* sent one, no you can't.

From the issues you've mentioned, it sounds to me like your having issues on your end as well.
If you have the protection plan, have D* come out and check the rec'r ... if it's bad they will replace it. I'm thinking from what you said, it's a rcvr, not your TV, but haven't kept up on your issues either.

Yes SatGuys covers the H21 rec. in the CE section.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...61-h21-h23-ce-release-v-4339-7-17-7-18-a.html

Thats where you'll find update info normally unless it's one that D* pushed ....
I don't use the H21 so I don't know what the current National Release (NR) is.
Is this software you mentioned the NR or a CE (cutting Edge update) ...
If it's a CE update, YES you can go back to the NR, but if it's a D* sent one, no you can't.

From the issues you've mentioned, it sounds to me like your having issues on your end as well.
If you have the protection plan, have D* come out and check the rec'r ... if it's bad they will replace it. I'm thinking from what you said, it's a rcvr, not your TV, but haven't kept up on your issues either.

I don't do the CE, it was a normal update that is being pushed down to everyone AFAIK. No protection plan. I could just buy a new receiver for less than I would have paid in "protection".

When I first got DirecTV a year ago I did a lot of research into the problems I was having and basically and came to the conclusion that there are HDMI negotiation problems between the HD receiver and my TV... whose fault that is, nobody seems to know. It sounded like HDMI "standards" were a moving target and TV and receiver makers are in a constant back-and-forth to try to solve these kinds of issues. I emailed a detailed explanation of my problems and my setup to both DirecTV and Philips and both of them ignored me with a canned response... so I gave up.

stlpaul;

Can you use component connections from your H21 and your TV? If so, I would suggest that you use it to connect the video to your TV. This means that you will have to connect the audio with an additional cable.

You are correct that there are handshaking issues with some TVs using the HDMI connection.

It is obvious that SatelliteGuys.US does not support us H21 owners any longer.

stlpaul;

Can you use component connections from your H21 and your TV? If so, I would suggest that you use it to connect the video to your TV. This means that you will have to connect the audio with an additional cable.

You are correct that there are handshaking issues with some TVs using the HDMI connection.

It is obvious that SatelliteGuys.US does not support us H21 owners any longer.

Is there not a link above directing you to a thread dealing with the H21 ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.