H2H Subscription Soon to be Cancelled.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NotTy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Wa
After a long & friendly discussion with my wife, we decided & agreed to end our subscription to H2H in the near future. It's time to move on to better things. We just haven't decided what is really better.

As my monthly subscription nears it's end, I thought I would try alacarte since we watch only a few channels but alacarte only carries like 3 of the channels we watch regularly & we would be paying about half of what we pay now. Ala Carte is nothing to what it once was. Very disappointing.

So we looked at the pick ten and found a couple more channels we watch. So between the two choices, it would cost us about the same amount as what we're paying now & still not get all we want off of H2H. To get what we want, we have to get the "Get It All" pack, which in reality is still only a small part of what you can really get in the real world.

There has been a lot of promises of good things to come to H2H but none of them have materialized. So the Discovery channels stayed, so what, not really that big a deal in the overall scheme of things.

It's Retro TV at it's best. Or worst?

I paid $2,700.00 in 1992 for my BUD system & spent a week putting it all together myself, an additional $695.00 for my 922 receiver & $400.00 for a used HD Decoder that is all but useless now.

But overall, during the past 16 years I subscribed to C-Band, I can say the money I saved on subscriptions has paid for my BUD and then some. But those savings have stopped as I pay $34.00/mo for mostly crappy channels.

I still plan to keep my BUD for FTA & will probably get a separate Satellite dish mover in the future.

I have been a Big Dish subscriber exclusively since 1992 and it's sad & difficult to let it go and as I looked at a list of over 600 channels that once could be gotten, not to mention hundreds more in the form of feeds, it's kind of sad to see what it's become.

I remember in 2005 I had subscribed to 29 HBO feeds, 19 Showtimes & 24 Starz for a fraction of what cable or the small dish charged for just a couple feeds of each. Plus 2 HBO HD & 1 Discovery HD that had a truly amazing & breathtaking picture.
There were even subscription channels not offered by the others.

But it's a new era I guess.

I'm not sure what we'll go with yet, whether it's the small dish or cable. Or maybe we'll go with FTA for now.
For me, the only way my BUD is going to live on is thru FTA, which I am fairly pleased with.

Being a BUD user since 1984, when everything on was free, I do understand. FTA is what keeps my BUD -Beautiful Usefull Device - active and going strong. I am sure there is something out there that will fill in the old with something new.:)

RT.

I agree with you on subscription C Band. I have been in C Band, purchased my first C band dish which I was 18. Most kids saved up for cars, me I wanted a C Band dish. :)

Get yourself one of these new receivers which can do DVB-S2, while not as much to watch as the good old days there is still alot of neat stuff up there to catch. I still wouldnt get rid of my C Band dish. :D

Being a BUD user since 1984, when everything on was free, I do understand. FTA is what keeps my BUD -Beautiful Usefull Device - active and going strong. I am sure there is something out there that will fill in the old with something new.:)

RT.

My setup is that old also. We fought scrambling back then and lost and now we have what was predicted. Leave it to corporate greed and intellectual property laws to create the dismal situation that now exists. What could have been................
:mad:

it reminds me of typical american corporatism, it is like a magic wand made of feces that can ruin anything good with a little stroke of the wand by the greedster at the top.

Its not expensive to go DVB and DVBS2.
lots of stuff to watch c-band still.
You got the dish, heck, you might as well play with it some.

I do own an OpenBox & enjoy that more than what H2H has to offer for the most part. But it's confusing for the wife plus she wants channels that H2H doesn't carry.

I do own an OpenBox & enjoy that more than what H2H has to offer for the most part. But it's confusing for the wife plus she wants channels that H2H doesn't carry.

There you go bashing on 4DTV again! Don't you have anything good to say about H2H! :D

There you go bashing on 4DTV again! Don't you have anything good to say about H2H! :D

Na, never said a word about the 4DTV other than the mass channels it used to get for an excellent price. The 4DTV is an excellent & durable receiver that has lasted me 10 years & has never given me a lick of trouble & in fact still operates like new. I'm just not liking the choices offered by my satellite provider any more.

Na, never said a word about the 4DTV other than the mass channels it used to get for an excellent price. The 4DTV is an excellent & durable receiver that has lasted me 10 years & has never given me a lick of trouble & in fact still operates like new. I'm just not liking the choices offered by my satellite provider any more.

All joking aside! I agree! 4DTV is dead without a new HD receiver! Are you listening SRL? Skyvision? God, it's like talking to a brick wall!:D

What good is bitching to SRL and Skyvision going to do? What can they do about it? Nothing, they at least tried to give those that did not want to go to the DBS companies or Cable for a few cable channels something. SRL and Skyvision do not have the means to manufacture a new HD 4DTV. Even if they did Motorola owns the patent to DigiCipher II and would not license it to them anyway.

What good is bitching to SRL and Skyvision going to do? What can they do about it? Nothing, they at least tried to give those that did not want to go to the DBS companies or Cable for a few cable channels something. SRL and Skyvision do not have the means to manufacture a new HD 4DTV. Even if they did Motorola owns the patent to DigiCipher II and would not license it to them anyway.

Who said anything abot having to manufacturer a whole new unit. A modified $100-$200 shaw box sounds like the right thing to do. They were able to get the 410 going. So, i wouldn't count them out yet.

If they can do this for businesses they can do it for home viewers too! :rant:

Did you bother to look at the prices? Its $20 to START....and that gives you locals + all the knockoff shopping/religious channels before you can add anything

Did you bother to look at the prices? Its $20 to START....and that gives you locals + all the knockoff shopping/religious channels before you can add anything

Yeah, your right! Maybe you can get around that by paying the $6.00 service fee? But, anyways this is just wrong as it seems tiered ala carte is alive and well. Even overpriced ESPN is offered.

But, anyways this is just wrong as it seems tiered ala carte is alive and well.

"They" did offer ala carte to consumers in 2000 and I fell for that one! :eek:

I watched the big $29 a month pack for a month and then decided what I

wanted. When I went to choose,the ala carte option disappeared (Bait &

switch???) and I got sucked into a 1 year contract, later received a credit for

some problems which evaporated, ended up with a credit for overpayment

after I canceled out after the contract was done and it was supposed to be

there "forever" if I ever wanted to come back and I could of used it for

reactivation fee but that vanished too! The welcome mat was there if I

ever wanted to come back but with a reactivation fee of $50! (My wife

sent the payment in for that month and when I inquired about all the

service problems and ended up canceling, I was told that I would receive

a refund check but found out later after waiting for the check which

never came that refunds are credited to accounts only. I should of let

the sub run out but the guy was nice enough not to tell me about that

minor issue. I said to run it another month but to do that I have to

pay the reactivation fee!) It sounds like "Peggy" got the best of me!!

I was thinking of service for my dad which was 10 years after that and have the

bill sent to me but could not do the promotion for him because I am considered

a old customer (Billing address has to be same as service

address I was told so I never did subscribe for him!), thought about month to

month for dad too but one says you can and others say not possible! Dad

would never pay for TV but I thought that I would get him

some fancy TV channels for him to enjoy before he passed away...

oh how I wish he would of let me place a BUD in his yard for 4DTV.

Last edited:
As to H2H, I'm keeping mine. The MTV mini-pack has music channels that show, hang on, MUSIC VIDEOS! :eek: what a concept, no?

As to the Dish business thing, yeah, the price is still crap, but look how for that, they can just turn on small groups of channels at a time.....hmmmmm :rolleyes:

Status
Please reply by conversation.