H3 - HWS Comparison

I had a Hopper w sling and was pretty happy with it, then they rolled out the new "carbon ?" UI. I noticed everything had gotten pretty sluggish and after a few months it just got slower and slower. Along with that lots of bugs showed up, it started to really screw things up on my recordings. After a lot of very bad things I finally got a Hopper 3, and will say it is much faster and more reliable than what the Hopper w sling had become.

I really liked my Hopper with sling but for me Dish had killed it with the new UI and I would nor recommend it to anyone.
I don't know if they ever got the software to the point it would run the way it had previously run but I just felt the hardware power in it was not adequate for the new UI so I doubt it will ever be the same again.

Like many others, I'm annoyed with what the CUI has done to my HWS. I could upgrade to the H3 but I suspect also like many others, I have absolutely no need for more tuners than what's in the HWS. I know a few people with the H3 and they also have no need for so many tuners.
The point is I don't want to pay Dish for something I have no need for just to regain the performance I had before the CUI that was forced on me.

Dish should offer an H3 with most of the tuners disabled to take the place of the HWS at the same monthly cost as the HWS. Knowing Dish, that's not gonna happen.

Reactions: gms49ers
Like many others, I'm annoyed with what the CUI has done to my HWS. I could upgrade to the H3 but I suspect also like many others, I have absolutely no need for more tuners than what's in the HWS. I know a few people with the H3 and they also have no need for so many tuners.
The point is I don't want to pay Dish for something I have no need for just to regain the performance I had before the CUI that was forced on me.

Dish should offer an H3 with most of the tuners disabled to take the place of the HWS at the same monthly cost as the HWS. Knowing Dish, that's not gonna happen.
The thing is, for new subscribers, the H3, HWS, Hopper 1, and ViP DVRs (for those who signed up right before Dish stopped offering those to new subscribers) are the same monthly price now, $15 per month. The only reason the HWS is cheaper for you is because you are grandfathered at the old rate. (Okay, new subscribers get an introductory discount, but I was stating the regular, everyday rate, after the discounts expire.)

Reactions: charlesrshell
The thing is, for new subscribers, the H3, HWS, Hopper 1, and ViP DVRs (for those who signed up right before Dish stopped offering those to new subscribers) are the same monthly price now, $15 per month. The only reason the HWS is cheaper for you is because you are grandfathered at the old rate. (Okay, new subscribers get an introductory discount, but I was stating the regular, everyday rate, after the discounts expire.)
Since I haven't looked into upgrading for a pretty long while, I checked and discovered that all the Hoppers do now indeed have the same monthly fee ($15) and I'm grandfathered at $12. In any event, I spoke to a CSR and was told an upgrade to the H3 and one Joey 3 will increase my monthly bill by only $3.
There will also be a one time charge of $100 just for the privilege of upgrading to the H3 and a $95 service charge.
However, since there's pretty much no 4k content available either through the satellite or on Demand, I'll defer any upgrade until there is, if ever.
4k streaming is not an option for me due to my internet service being inadequate.

About a free Hopper3 upgrade.
When I called dish, I was told that I could get a free Hopper upgrade from an old non DVR receiver.
I accepted the upgrade. That was in June 2018. I asked for the hopper3 and a wireless Joey. I got them at no equipment charge and only pay $22 a month extra for them. I also got a free ota antenna, amplifier and ota module installed for free and saved $12/mo on locals.
Long time customer with an ancient receiver.
There was no service charge but I have the protection plan.

Why disable any tuners? You don't have to use them and it would not hurt Dish to leave them all working.

Reactions: pattykay
I am getting near the end of my rope with our 2 HWS/1 Joey setup. The software update in the spring killed them. It is near torture to try and watch recordings from the other Hopper even after the latest software update. Of course if I upgraded to H3 my monthly fees would stay the same @ $29. Not willing to pay $200 for the upgrade though. I would also miss having PIP/SWAP in MBR.