H3 - HWS Comparison

Jon J

Jon J

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2005
Music City, USA
A friend recently upgraded his Dish equipment to (what he thought would be) a Hopper 3. When I checked it for him last Saturday it turns out the installer put in a Hopper with Sling. I never had a HWS so could someone please tell me the differences and would my friend be better off with the H3 he was promised?

Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
The H3 can also do 4K, 4 Channel PIP, Youtube, Netflix, is much much faster.

He should get the H3. :D

Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I dont have a HWS anymore... Youtube may be a new addition. But the HWS can not do netflix in 4K. :D

Reactions: pattykay
JSheridan

JSheridan

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2008
USA
Hopper 3 is rarely given for free and most people decline to pay the upgrade charge. It's not up to the tech, they usually just install what's on the work order.

Reactions: charlesrshell
navychop

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Haven’t we had reports here of folks moving to the H3 at no charge?

If I ever decided to move to the H3, and they expected me to PAY, I think I’d balk too.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

JSheridan

JSheridan

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2008
USA
Haven’t we had reports here of folks moving to the H3 at no charge?

If I ever decided to move to the H3, and they expected me to PAY, I think I’d balk too.

There are exceptions to every rule and a very few people actually qualify for a free H3 upgrade.

JSheridan

JSheridan

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2008
USA
When the Hopper 3 first came out they were giving free upgrades to anybody who wanted one. Since then it's been getting harder to qualify for a free one.

T

Tony S

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Hills of Eastern CT
A friend recently upgraded his Dish equipment to (what he thought would be) a Hopper 3. When I checked it for him last Saturday it turns out the installer put in a Hopper with Sling. I never had a HWS so could someone please tell me the differences and would my friend be better off with the H3 he was promised?
I agree with the other posters. A hopper 3 is much better. If your friend ordered a Hopper 3, then that is what he should have. I would call Dish and tell them you ordered a Hopper 3 and you didn't get what you ordered. If they give you problems, tell them you will cancel within your 3 day evaluation period.

On the other hand, if your friend just 'thought' that he was getting a Hopper 3 but didn't really ask or check, then it is not really Dish's fault.

Howard Simmons

Howard Simmons

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
Northwest Florida
I agree with the other posters. A hopper 3 is much better. If your friend ordered a Hopper 3, then that is what he should have. I would call Dish and tell them you ordered a Hopper 3 and you didn't get what you ordered. If they give you problems, tell them you will cancel within your 3 day evaluation period.

On the other hand, if your friend just 'thought' that he was getting a Hopper 3 but didn't really ask or check, then it is not really Dish's fault.
On my bill they are giving me a discount for my HWS. He'll probably be paying $12.00 more a month for the Hopper 3.

Cheddar_Head

Cheddar_Head

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 13, 2008
Colorado Springs
Gee. I really love my little red recording in progress LED.

Every device that comes with one of those little red, green, or blue LEDs needs to have the option to turn the damn things off and NO I shouldn't have to use tape to block the light. My video/network rack looks like a damn Christmas tree with all those blinking lights

pattykay

pattykay

formerly crodrules
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
Every device that comes with one of those little red, green, or blue LEDs needs to have the option to turn the damn things off and NO I shouldn't have to use tape to block the light. My video/network rack looks like a damn Christmas tree with all those blinking lights
Hopper Roxanne (You Don't Have To Put On The Red Light) --- Coming Soon! ;) :D