Hacking for business and pleasure...

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
As Vint Cerf, one of the founding fathers of the internet (just like Al Gore :)), reminiscent in one of his speeches, hacking used to badge of honor. Now it is a label synonymous to terrorist...

And although hacking as we know it today is a grey area at best, there are cases when you just feel happy this activity doesn't have its own Gitmo... yet
http://torrentfreak.com/french-hadopi-3-strikes-anti-piracy-company-hacked-110514/

Diogen.

Interesting event related to hacking
Fight back against Sarkozy's EG8 -- an exercise in censorship and control dressed up as a technology summit - Boing Boing
Copyfight: EFF co-founder enters e-G8 "lion's den," rips into lions

It's no surprise the French initiated this event.
They still can't get over "marveling at their own magnificence" by passing the three strikes law.
The monitoring body HADOPI got hacked, but why would that stop Sarkozy?

Cory Doctorow
I was invited to the EG8 and declined...I now have a dandy handwriting sample from Sarkozy should I ever need to establish a graphological baseline for narcissistic sociopathy.

Perry Barlow
Trying to optimize towards scarcity, as you are by all of your methods, is not going to be in the benefit of creation, I promise you. It's not IP enforcement that gets you guys properly paid.

First time I read the last sentence, I read "laid" instead of "paid" Works, too...:)

Diogen.

Barlow speech, that didn't make it to the e-G8 web site

Favorite line:
"I may be one of very few people in this room who actually makes his living personally by creating what these gentlemen are pleased to call "intellectual property.
{More interested in} incentivizing creativity by people who create things, and not large institutions who prey on them and have for years."

Diogen.

Last edited by a moderator:
AES-256 broken in about 40 minutes....
I'd take this announcement with a grain of salt if it wasn't from Elcomsoft
Apple iPhone encryption cracked by Russian firm - Techworld.com
ElcomSoft has gained a reputation in the last three years for cracking encryption systems used in a variety of technologies, including the digital camera image verification systems used by Canon and Nikon, WPA2 wireless security, as well as a range of individual applications.
And not to forget, their name is known for breaking Adobe PDF "protection" some 10 years ago...

Diogen.

AES-256 broken in about 40 minutes....
I'd take this announcement with a grain of salt if it wasn't from Elcomsoft
Apple iPhone encryption cracked by Russian firm - Techworld.com

And not to forget, their name is known for breaking Adobe PDF "protection" some 10 years ago...

Diogen.

Well they managed to try all 10,000 combinations of the default 4 digit passcode in 40 minutes. Not really breaking the AES but by breaking the passcode. They use several techniques to unlock the phone. Once unlocked they can get at the data.

I have mine set to erase in 10 trys. I actually tested it out on my last iphone before I gave it away. It took overnight since after a few tries it starts to make you wait a long period of time (hours at the end).

But, essentially they proved they can break in the phone using techniques that the common criminal probably will not have access to. If you lose your phone the first thing you should probably race to do is change your email password(s). Then start with other accounts like iTunes that you might have saved on the phone.

The company said it had been aided by subtle weaknesses in the security architecture used by Apple, starting with the default passcode length of 4 digits. This yields only 10,000 possible number variations, which the company said most users would likely use to secure their devices without question.

The only limitation in breaking this key using a bruteforce attack was the need to run through the possible combinations on the iPhone or iOS device itself, which took between 10 and 40 minutes, far longer than would have been the case using a desktop PC.

My thunderbolt uses a draw pattern in place of a number code. The phone can be answered or call to 911 but otherwise everything is disabled until the correct pattern is drawn on the screen.

If it's Android 2.2 (your TB, Don), there is also a password and Pin option in settings/security.

My 2.2 is set to password due to employer requirements.

My wife has a company owned phone and it has taught her how to swear out loud. I can always tell when she has had her password changed by the geniuses at work and they send it to her in an e-mail that she needs the password to open. So she has to call someone using my phone and they refuse to tell her what it is but agree to text it to my phone. LOL!

My thunderbolt uses a draw pattern in place of a number code. The phone can be answered or call to 911 but otherwise everything is disabled until the correct pattern is drawn on the screen.

Thanks for the warning. I'd probably be doomed, unable to use my own phone, I have such poor hand-eye coordination.

I picture more disruptions in our future, much more than the strikes in France cause.

Hacking is slowly getting a political slant...

LulzSec replaced Anonymous as the top hacker-newsmaker.
But they got tired (?) hacking Sony sites (it is getting as easy as finding a hole in IE6) and tried Nintendo.
And here it gets political: no harm was claimed to be done. Is it because Nintendo is good at securing their site
or because hackers wanted to make a point of hacking only sites that "deserve" it...:)

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/nintendo-hacked-by-lulzsec-no-harm-done/

Diogen.

Cheap GPU turns guessing a 9 character password from 43 years (CPU only) to 48 days.
Symbols included? 75 days vs. 7 hours. And if you run 4 high-end GPUs the time to break drops 10 times.
33B passwords/sec vs. 3B passwords/sec. ....:)
Cheap GPUs are rendering strong passwords useless | ZDNet

Diogen.

Egads, I felt fairly safe with 12-14 character passwords for my mail and other important accounts. I guess I will have to come up with 20 character phrases with mixed in symbols and numbers.

I am glad my sony account password was 12 characters, at least it was long enough to be sure they probably did not break the hash before I was able to change it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)