ipad 1 and 2 owners- What will make you upgrade?

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
There are rumors about an ipad3 this Fall. Regardless of what it is called what feature or collection of features would make you compelled to spend the money to move from your present ipad to a new model this Fall or next Spring?

People who don't own an ipad now need not respond.

Not sure what would convince me to upgrade, but here are some features I do miss in the iPad 2:
1. Much better camera
2. Higher screen resolution
3. 4G
4. SD card slot.
5. Phone capability (so I could share the iPhone's SIM card without missing any phone calls)

I have always been interested in new and improved gadgets, but going from the iPad to an iPad2, to a supposed iPad2HD, or even an iPad3, no...... I am about where my parents were way back then. If Apple came out with one that had adobe, I might would consider one, but then again I would be pissed.;) I guess what I am trying to say is this market is changing way to fast for me..............
Heck my iPad battery is still good!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
"People who don't own an ipad now need not respond."
You gave me a good chuckle with that one.:D

I guess what I am trying to say is that Apple over engineered the first one. I am at the point in my life that needs override my petty desires to upgrade something that works for me just fine ....
I don't have a "required" update budget, do you?
If Apple gave me a reasnoable rebate on my not so old one, maybe.

Last edited:
The only way I'd upgrade at this point would be if Apple made a point of making the new iPad VERY easy to jailbreak, which obviously they won't, so basically I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade. I can live without a Retina display, I don't need a better camera, and I don't care about 4G/LTE since I have a WiFi model and I see no point in spending extra for the cellular models when I can just tether to my phone. Also, I'm hoping that by the time the 4th generation iPad comes out, the Android tablets will be a more compelling purchase than they currently are now.

The only thing I can see that would make me upgrade is new apps that wont run with my current hardware. As far as any specific hardware updates that might come out, my feelings at this point mirror yourbeliefs.

I also share the same thoughts as others here. There is really nothing that would come out that would make me want to upgrade right now. The only one would be if new apps no longer supported the iPad 2. If Apple was to do that, my iPad would soon find itself on the shelf and would soon be up for purchase.

When I had the iPhone, I was always about what is next but for some reason I do not have the same feeling about the iPad. There is really nothing hardware wise that would really make me want to upgrade.

Even if Apple came out with everything I wanted on a 3rd generation iPad, all it would do is scream one word at me. Sucker...................

Not sure what would convince me to upgrade, but here are some features I do miss in the iPad 2:
1. Much better camera
2. Higher screen resolution
3. 4G
4. SD card slot.
5. Phone capability (so I could share the iPhone's SIM card without missing any phone calls)

Are you really going to walk around with the iPad taking photos? Yeah, the camera sucks, and its resolution should be better, but the idea of walking around with a 10" tablet shooting photos screams #Fail to me.

That said, I think the front facing camera should be a bit better for purposes of face time and skype.

I don't see a SD card ANYTIME soon, for the simple reason that the way iOS 5 works, storage is compartmentalized by apps; one of the biggest short-comings of the OS; but I'd suspect it would take a fundamental re-working of the OS to make a SD card function the way that people want it to.

For me, the retina display would be a nice upgrade, I just don't want them to change the form-factor of the device; make it so iPad 2 accessories work with iPad 3.

Would I buy it just for a higher resolution? Probably not -- but since the one I have is officially property of the state (due to a screw up in how reimbursements work), and my dept chair intends to pay me a supplemental contract so I can buy ONE that is MY property (and of course then she gets the iPad 2 for herself :) ), I will probably get an iPad 3 when it comes out. But if it were my own money, I'd stick with the iPad 2.

I have an open trouble ticket on my iPad2 for severe light bleed through around the edges of the screen. Apple already said the will replace it within the one year warranty period. Not in any hurry to send it in and be with out it for a few weeks, I'm waiting on the Apple store to open up in Little Rock this fall to do an exchange. If I can exchange my current one for the newer one with out them trying to rip my head off, I'll upgrade. Other than that, it's gonna have a butt load of newer features before I upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

rockymtnhigh said:
Are you really going to walk around with the iPad taking photos? Yeah, the camera sucks, and its resolution should be better, but the idea of walking around with a 10" tablet shooting photos screams #Fail to me.
The camera sucks so bad, that I don't see any point in having it there at all. If they decided to put the camera on the iPad, then why not put the same camera as on the iPhone?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The camera sucks so bad, that I don't see any point in having it there at all. If they decided to put the camera on the iPad, then why not put the same camera as on the iPhone?

Fair enough, but would it really be the reason to drop another $600 or $700 on a new iPad?

rockymtnhigh said:
I don't see a SD card ANYTIME soon, for the simple reason that the way iOS 5 works, storage is compartmentalized by apps; one of the biggest short-comings of the OS; but I'd suspect it would take a fundamental re-working of the OS to make a SD card function the way that people want it to..
I'd like to have the SD slot not so much for external storage, but to be able to quickly transfer pictures from a camera. That could be done without any major redesign. But you are right, once the slot is there, people will want to use it as a storage. So, I don't expect Apple to put it there any time soon.

Happy iPad2 owner here. I don't think the iPad2 HD will interest me knowing an iPad3 is likely coming soon. iPad3 will need to be noticeably lighter and/or thinner for me to take the plunge.

rockymtnhigh said:
Fair enough, but would it really be the reason to drop another $600 or $700 on a new iPad?

Of course not! :)

Happy iPad2 owner here. I don't think the iPad2 HD will interest me knowing an iPad3 is likely coming soon. iPad3 will need to be noticeably lighter and/or thinner for me to take the plunge.

Why do you think that they will introduce an iPad2 HD/Pro/3 and then introduce a NEW model with a lot of very different changes immediately thereafter? That makes no sense - and as the rumors keep pushing the ipad 2Hd/Pro/3 back towards Thanksgiving, I am just not seeing any real incentive for a brand new device four months later in March.

I'd like to have the SD slot not so much for external storage, but to be able to quickly transfer pictures from a camera. That could be done without any major redesign. But you are right, once the slot is there, people will want to use it as a storage. So, I don't expect Apple to put it there any time soon.

Remember, with iOS 5 you can transfer photos to iTunes wirelessly; and if you have a mac, you can transfer them right into iPhoto or Aperture. Plus, the camera connection add-on works fine for putting photos on the iPad.

Why do you think that they will introduce an iPad2 HD/Pro/3 and then introduce a NEW model with a lot of very different changes immediately thereafter? That makes no sense - and as the rumors keep pushing the ipad 2Hd/Pro/3 back towards Thanksgiving, I am just not seeing any real incentive for a brand new device four months later in March.

Apple is currently selling every iPad2 they can make. It doesn't make economic sense to me to produce an iPad3 yet. They don't need to. I'm not sure iPad2 HD really make sense either but the rumors are pretty strong for that one. I'm fairly new to the Apple world but it seems they are pretty regular with their product updates. Heck the iPhone refresh is running late.

I find no one here has suggested my reason for upgrading. But more on that later... :)

Re- SD card slot. For those who would like this, fine but were you aware you can have an SD card slot now, works even with ipad1 ! As Rocky stated, the SD card implementation is what is different and as such is quite specific as to what you can do with it. I regularly transfer images with the adapter from my camcorder. I did a PDF file once too. But it definitely is app specific.

Personally, I feel the way ipad works is one of the most difficult and awkward things for a PC mindset to get used to. I'm not suggesting Apple change that, just that compared to an Android device, not being able to freely manipulate files is something that still makes ipad awkward for me. Unfortunately this seems more of an iOS issue than a ipad hardware issue ( for me).

The quickest reason for me to want to upgrade would be if my battery stopped working or my current iPad broke.
I'm currently interested in 3D so having a glasses free 3D screen and be able to play 3D SBS or Frame compacting would be an incentive.
Screen bright enough to see easily in bright sunlight.
Nothing else I can think of is compelling enough to want to upgrade.

I really have no desire for the camera features and would probably never use it regardless of quality. I saw one person so far ( at Disney) using an ipad2 camera and he was obnoxiously annoying with that big view blocker in the crowd. I'm glad more people don't use the ipad2 camera in public.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts