ipad 1 and 2 owners- What will make you upgrade?

rockymtnhigh said:
Remember, with iOS 5 you can transfer photos to iTunes wirelessly; and if you have a mac, you can transfer them right into iPhoto or Aperture. Plus, the camera connection add-on works fine for putting photos on the iPad.

One major appeal of the iPad (and of any other tablet for that matter) is that it allows people to travel without a laptop. So, being able to read photos and videos from an SD card directly without carrying any extra cables or connectors would've been a huge plus, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

One major appeal of the iPad (and of any other tablet for that matter) is that it allows people to travel without a laptop. So, being able to read photos and videos from an SD card directly without carrying any extra cables or connectors would've been a huge plus, IMO.

I get that, but the connector is so little, it really isn't a big deal. AND unless they are going to provide open storage on the iPad, I don't see them ever putting in an actual SD card slot.

Nothing mentioned so far would make me want to upgrade from my iPad 1. Can't think of anything that would other than my original wearing out or breaking...

Don Landis said:
I'm glad more people don't use the ipad2 camera in public.
Using it as a camera in public would be crazy. But for videoconferencing and for quickly capturing family moments - it might be practical. Imagine you are sitting in your chair reading news or browsing web on your iPad and you see your baby doing something cute or funny. So you take a quick snapshot with just a couple of clicks. Great! But then you discover how bad and grainy the picture looks... :(

IMHO, either don't put the forward-looking camera on the iPad at all or give it the quality at least on par with those in cell phones. Otherwise I don't see a point.

rockymtnhigh said:
unless they are going to provide open storage on the iPad, I don't see them ever putting in an actual SD card slot.
Yeah, I don't see them doing that any time soon. But if they did, I would consider an upgrade. ;)

Like most seem to be here, I can't think of anything that Apple can do to make me want to buy a new iPad to replace the 1st gen one that I have now. It does all I want an ultra-portable to do.

Like most seem to be here, I can't think of anything that Apple can do to make me want to buy a new iPad to replace the 1st gen one that I have now. It does all I want an ultra-portable to do.

I could see going from iPad 1 to 3, smaller form factor, faster processor, higher resolution, but only if you had plenty of disposable income, or wanted to give the iPad 1 to a family member and upgrade for yourself. :D

I could see going from iPad 1 to 3, smaller form factor, faster processor, higher resolution, but only if you had plenty of disposable income, or wanted to give the iPad 1 to a family member and upgrade for yourself. :D

Well, since I've retired, income is a bit different... :)

None of those reasons would make me upgrade. I like the 10" screen and wouldn't want smaller, faster processor wouldn't make Angry Birds run faster; or video to play quicker or books easier to read, and a higher resolution would most likely make the damned fonts smaller... :)

Well, since I've retired, income is a bit different... :)

None of those reasons would make me upgrade. I like the 10" screen and wouldn't want smaller, faster processor wouldn't make Angry Birds run faster; or video to play quicker or books easier to read, and a higher resolution would most likely make the damned fonts smaller... :)

Yeah, apple does have a tendency to make the fonts way too small. :) Took me a long time to get used to the 13" mbp with a 1280 resolution, when any other computer I would use at that size would be 1024.

squeeze - zoom to the rescue! I prefer to see the entire page width and then thumb and finger expand to what's comfortable. Already have that so that is not an issue for ipad3 for me.

squeeze - zoom to the rescue! I prefer to see the entire page width and then thumb and finger expand to what's comfortable. Already have that so that is not an issue for ipad3 for me.

That's what I do when I'm traveling. At home, the iPad is relegated to reading books, in which case I just change the font for the particular book I'm reading. And a bit of video sometimes in the evening after I've gone to bed. I don't have a TV in my bedroom since I usually just read for 1/2 hour or so before dropping off, but the iPad makes it very handy to watch recorded things from my iTunes library and the Dish app.

Seriously, at this point I can't think of anything that would make an upgrade from my iPad2 a "must have" but here are some things I would like to see.

1. Announcement from dev-team that it is jailbreakable, and they have a way to allow restores of jailbreakable firmwares. Prior to this, the device is "defective by design"
2. A non-glare screen would be nice.
3. How about breaking the bank and actually putting more than one speaker in the thing.
4. Multi-user support.

Last edited:
I don't think you'll ever see your #1 - that just isn't Apple's style. You want to jailbreak it, fine, but it is at your risk in total. Personally I don't have a problem with that, but I would understand why others would.

And I doubt that #4 is going to happen with either the Android or iOS tablets, although the Android bunch might want to take a flyer on that to do some differentiation that could get them some good sales on their tablets.

I agree on #4. This is not marketed as a family device. It is a personal device. Probably aimed at an older audience that is uncomfortable with an ipod/iphone 's small screen (i.e. me :) )

Nothing mentioned so far would make me want to upgrade from my iPad 1. Can't think of anything that would other than my original wearing out or breaking...
...or being lost/stolen, my sentiments exactly. I have only begun to scratch the surface (figuratively, fortunately, altho' scratching it literally seems to be difficult!) of what the "1" is capable of, let alone a more complex version. Another reason I might consider an upgrade is if I stumble into an application I absolutely have to have and the "1" won't support it. That could be software or hardware (e.g., connectivity) related...

I would upgrade if there was a new feature that could be used to improve the apps that I am developing or if I had a concern about compatibility due to screen resolution or other changes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts