Had Voom for 2 weeks not happy yet...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mvitoff

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
I have had Voom for two weeks and I am trying to find out what is wrong. During the first week I kept losing Sat signal during sunny Florida days & had box lockups almost every day several times a day. I had the installer come back out and he re-aimed the dish and got a signal quality of 40-47 up from 23-32. Every day since then Signal quality has gone down, it never stays the same, and on a day we had overcast skies I was without Satellite signal for the entire day. I have had Direct before and never had signal loss unless it was pouring rain and even then just for a few moments. I am getting a new box on Saturday so I hope that works or Voom will have to go. Also thinking about 24" dish if that would help much.

With the weather you guys have in Florida, I would definitely consider a 24" or 30" dish upgrade. The 40-47 signal you have now is not particularly good; the installer should really get you into the 50-55 range with a 18" dish, or the 60-65 range with a 24" dish. VOOM uses 8PSK and a lower FEC rate so they are probably a bit more prone to rain fade than DirecTV and Dish.

Your low / inconsistent signal is probably responsible for at least some of the lockups, and a larger dish would help in that regard. The new box isn't likely to address any of your problems on its own, although the significant software upgrade coming next week might. If I were you, I would buy or request a larger dish, and then give them until the end of March to update the box with better, more stable software.

My installer told me that 40-47 is the highest signal possible for where I am (just north of Tampa, FL). What should it be where I live?

mvitoff said:
My installer told me that 40-47 is the highest signal possible for where I am (just north of Tampa, FL). What should it be where I live?

Is it really possible that the maximum signal strength in Florida is lower than the strength in Massachusetts using the same antenna?

andrzej said:
Is it really possible that the maximum signal strength in Florida is lower than the strength in Massachusetts using the same antenna?

I got about a 47 signal strength. And like others when it was cloudy the signal strength would lower to 30 even to 25 and the box would lock up. I already gave up on Voom ( because of the wife complaining about it)and already switched back to Direct TV. I guess with a little patience Voom will improve. And when they do i might switch back. But even Direct TV will have some more HD channels with a little patience.

klmnoah said:
But even Direct TV will have some more HD channels with a little patience.

D* is not interested in adding more HD channels because the great majority of their subscribers don't have HD-capable equipment. They will do so only if they are forced to do so by the market. You will need a lot of patience, indeed. Good luck. :D

Andrzej

So what is good signal quality for the Tampabay, FL area? Right now mine is in the high 30's but always fluctuates with a signal power of 55.

andrzej said:
D* is not interested in adding more HD channels because the great majority of their subscribers don't have HD-capable equipment. They will do so only if they are forced to do so by the market. You will need a lot of patience, indeed. Good luck. :D

D* just added NBA TV HD programming-rest of seasons HD Games and additional programming on Ch. 84

mvitoff said:
That is just so wrong for so many reasons

Like I have said, I am in eastern oregon. My Voom dish is shooting barely over the horizon, with part of a tree in the way. The original installer could not even find the satellite, so i kicked him off the property and called my own tech. I am getting a Sat quality of 55-60, and power of 65-70....perfectly peaked. Even the other day when they were having problems it didn't drop below 45.

In florida it should be even easier to get a good signal, you dish CAN get a much better signal, you just need it to be peaked up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)