HallmarkHD Feed Being Used For SD Feed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TheTechGuru

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
Texas
This just started today. I noticed my D12 on a tube tv showing Hallmark HD and was rather confused. Is this DirecTV or Hallmark's doing? Now 4:3 programs on the channel are in a 4:3 box in a 16:9 letterbox on a 4:3 screen. This is ridicules. ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1396240103.226300.jpg

Posted Via The FREE iOS SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I am pretty sure it is Hallmark (or at least the programming it is showing). It appears to be an episode of The Golden Girls. If I recall correctly, We TV (when it had the rights to The Golden Girls) used to stretch the picture to fill the screen on its HD channel.

Ah, I was thinking of the Hallmark Movie Channel which doesn't have an sd feed, channel 312, the Hallmark Channel does. I just checked and the sd feed is there. Since you are watching on a D12, there shouldn't be a "hide sd channels" setting, so it sounds like an anomaly. Have you tried resetting the receiver through the menu?

I'd say it's likely Hallmark or DIRECTV's doing - Hallmark commanding DIRECTV's distribution receiver to convert the HD distribution feed to SD like that, or DIRECTV changing a SD output setting in their distribution receiver to output the SD equivalent feed of the HD channel in that way.

Does the D12 receive Ka-band transmissions and internally convert HD to SD? If it does, it may even be DIRECTV deciding to save bandwidth by eliminating some SD feeds and use the existing HD feed with the D12 doing the internal conversion to SD for displaying on a tube set.

No, you are really overcomplicating this. There's nothing going on in the D12, or in DirecTV's distribution. The content on both the SD and HD feeds is controlled by Hallmark.
I just checked the Hallmark SD and HD channels. The HD channel shows a regular 16:9 picture. The SD channel shows the same 16:9 picture letterboxed in a 4:3 frame. If the HD channel is showing something from a 4:3 source (like an old TV show) the HD channel will show the 4:3 picture pillarboxed inside a 16:9 frame. The SD channel will show the same 16:9 picture, but letterboxed inside a 4:3 frame. So what you see is the original 4:3 program pillarboxed to 16:9, and then letterboxed to 4:3 as well. The actual program only occupies a relatively small part of the screen.

This scenario has become quite common, where channels only generate one source (the 16:9 picture) and then use the same source on the SD version of the channel.

All of this is of course ignoring any TV settings you might have to stretch or crop if you have an HDTV. An old SDTV won't have any of these picture adjustment features.

Some channels still create the 4:3 version of their signal by cropping the 16:9 frame to fill a 4:3 screen, but this has its own issues in that you lose picture content.

Look at the picture he posted. It is from the hd feed, but it's on a D12 receiver!

Yes many of the distribution platforms are now HD only, so the feed is downcoverted to SD at DirecTV. Directv is still contractually obligated to provide an SD feed even though all they get is the HD feed.

Yes, but I don't think Hallmark is one of them. When I checked the sd feed, it didn't have the hd logo on it.

My point is if they wish to do this, they need to do the cropping. I now have reason to complain for a free swap of my D12 for a H24/H25 because now I need one to do the cropping.

Look at the picture he posted. It is from the hd feed, but it's on a D12 receiver!
No, it isn't from the HD feed, it's the SD feed. As I posted, the SD feed uses the HD feed set into a 4:3 frame. There are several channels that do this. It's OK until the HD feed has a 4:3 program set into it.

No, it isn't from the HD feed, it's the SD feed. As I posted, the SD feed uses the HD feed set into a 4:3 frame. There are several channels that do this. It's OK until the HD feed has a 4:3 program set into it.

It's a problem for me either way, because on my tube I want the picture cropped to fill the screen.

If that's true, why does the hd feed come from 103ca and the sd feed comes from 101? When viewing an upconverted show on hd, there is an hd logo on the black sidebar, but not on the sd feed. If they were the same, wouldn't they both have the hd logo?

How many of your SD locals have the "HD" icon on it during the news? Most of mine do. There is no Hallmark Channel SD. Directv just downgrades the HD to the SD, so the HD logo is there. Same thing with locals. Most locals do not broadcast HD and SD of the same thing anymore.

How many of your SD locals have the "HD" icon on it during the news? Most of mine do. There is no Hallmark Channel SD. Directv just downgrades the HD to the SD, so the HD logo is there. Same thing with locals. Most locals do not broadcast HD and SD of the same thing anymore.

Are you talking about channel 565 or 312?

Are you talking about channel 565 or 312?

Technically, both. The SD feed of channel 312 is the same thing as the HD feed, there is no separate feed of it that Hallmark sends. They do not need to do with the other channel because it is only sold to HD customers.

Technically, both. The SD feed of channel 312 is the same thing as the HD feed, there is no separate feed of it that Hallmark sends. They do not need to do with the other channel because it is only sold to HD customers.

But why is there a feed for the sd channel of 312 on 101? And why doesn't the hd logo show on 312 sd if it's really the same feed?

It's a problem for me either way, because on my tube I want the picture cropped to fill the screen.
Won't happen. Fewer and fewer of the channels have a cropped SD feed. They don't think it's worth the money, for an ever-decreasing SD market.

But you will notice it isn't consistent.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)