Ham Radio Field Day - Public Welcome!

VO1ONE

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Ham Radio Field Day - Public Welcome! June 23-24, 2012

I know a few of us have mentioned Field Day on the board in various threads and thought maybe some non-hams might be curious as to what we're talking about. Field Day is the most popular on-air event in North America. Over 35,000 people participate each year. It's held the fourth full weekend in June, so this year it's this Saturday, June 23rd starting at 2PM Eastern Daylight Time, continuing through 5PM Sunday the 24th, although some clubs may end their operations earlier than this either due to a rule which requires them to cease operations after 24 hours if they set up before field day begins, or due to fatigue ;) Saturday afternoon and evening is the best time to get in the action.

Basically, Field Day is an emergency preparedness exercise. We quickly set up antennas and radio equipment usually using non-commercial sources of power in a public spot like a park and try to talk to as many people as possible during the period. We get extra points for talking to as many different sections (areas of states or provinces) as possible, and there are bonus points for many things such as getting the media to visit, having a public information booth, and talking to (or through) the space station. Usually, an amateur radio club will organize a setup but individual hams participate on their own as well. Some take it very seriously and try to score as many points as possible to win the contest, others are very laid back and enjoy the opportunity to fraternize with friends and get outside. Either way, all welcome the opportunity to share the hobby with others and invite the general public to come check out ham radio and even get on the air. FCC (or Industry Canada) rules allow us to let the public operate under our licenses as a third party. If you're mic shy, we can still use help entering the people that we talk to into the computer!

You can easily locate a Field Day site on the internet HERE. This isn't a comprehensive list and it doesn't include sites in Canada, so if you don't see anything local to you, Google ham radio clubs in your area as they are most likely participating. You can read more about Field Day on the Amateur Radio Relay League's website HERE. Hope to hear you on the air!

Last edited:
I'll be at Wells Mills Park in Waretown, NJ with the Old Barney Amateur Radio Club, N2OB (November-Two-Oscar-Bravo) 4A SNJ
Mike Lib WA2ACV

This was nice event i had fun at it i learned about HAM radios.

Glad to hear it! Think you might get your license? I had a good time as well. Didn't get there until 9pm and operated through the night. The club wraps things up around 10AM. I got maybe 45 minutes of sleep! We were 4A, but the fourth station was long off the air by the time I got there. 20m, 40m and 80m were where efforts were concentrated. I tried a few satellite passes but it was just a mess. First year I didn't manage to snag the satellite bonus in a long time. I built a 6m Moxon Saturday morning for the event and it worked good, but the band wasn't nearly as open as it had been during the week. I operated mostly CW through the night. It was fun :)

i got the paper work and info they told me to get started with the 2 meter band. i was at the one for angola indiana north of fort wayne. I got there at 2 pm and stayed till 6 I had to get home to cook supper. but i will be looking into getting in the 2 meter band first. I believe they got contact with the satellite they were picking up everything on saturday. they did have some problems with some of the bands.

Dan Rose

Yes, there are three classes of amateur radio licenses in the US: Technician, General and Extra. Technician is the first, and 2 meters is the most popular band for those operating privileges. Techs do now have privileges on HF, but can only use voice on 10 meters, which is just above the CB and "freebander" bands. General gives you a lot more privileges on HF; you can then operate on every Amateur band, and Extra gives you more frequencies on those bands. HF frequencies allow for worldwide communications. 2 meters is more "local". There are a bunch of 2 meter repeaters around and you can talk 50 miles with a handheld radio assisted by one easily. A decent base station on 2 meters could hit repeaters 50-100 miles away and the person you're talking to could be another 50-100 miles away. Some repeaters are linked to other repeaters for wide coverage systems. Skywarn, the storm spotters, generally communicate on 2 meters. You always hear what's going on before the weather radio even gets it. All satellite uplinks are on VHF/UHF frequencies so if you want to operate satellite, a tech license will let you do that. I see there's going to be a hamfest in Angola on August 4th. Might be able to pick yourself up a cheap radio or three there :)

Wonder if i worked you during the field day here, was using the club callsign VE4MEC
de gls.

Wonder if i worked you during the field day here, was using the club callsign VE4MEC
Was with W8WKY this year. If you worked us on CW, you were talking to me :) I did do some voice too here and there. Been at VO1AA in the past for FD.

Didn't work any CW this year, many of the operators were non-code qualified and two were unlicensed. Works out well to get new and prospective hams involved by getting their feet wet with contesting. Even if they don't operate thay can help put up and take down the station. I am hoping to see two new callsigns in our group this summer. We really need more operators to keep up with our ARES commitments.

I did bring the key along and plugged it into the VHF/UHF rig, hoping to get some 6m, 2m or 70cm action from the twin cities area and there are a few operators in the Grand Forks/Fargo areas as well. Only made 5 or 6 Qs above HF, none were CW as they answered my CQs on voice. We had no rotor for the long yagis which was a problem. Next year we should have a better setup if we do it all over again.
C.

i am really wanting to take my test and get my tech license and get started in the 2 meter band. is the test really hard?

Dan Rose

i am really wanting to take my test and get my tech license and get started in the 2 meter band. is the test really hard?

Dan Rose

No it's not that hard these days. When I got mine 20 years ago it was a lot harder, and you had to learn the code.

STUDY????? For the tech license, My grandson and wife have both passed their test and the are DEFINITELY not tech savvy. They took a one day class. If you are going to study for the license, I suggest getting the study material for the General or above also. Several study guides, "classes" on line.
If there is a radio club in your area they USUALLY have FREE classes. What city are you in or close to? Check ARRL website for clubs, or we can. LOTS of fun more fun than SATS! (In a way!)

rv1pop said:
STUDY????? For the tech license, My grandson and wife have both passed their test and the are DEFINITELY not tech savvy. They took a one day class. If you are going to study for the license, I suggest getting the study material for the General or above also. Several study guides, "classes" on line.
If there is a radio club in your area they USUALLY have FREE classes. What city are you in or close to? Check ARRL website for clubs, or we can. LOTS of fun more fun than SATS! (In a way!)

You do get all kinds of fun bands to play on. I need to dust my general study book off and go take the test I want to play on HF.

I took free ham tests (flash cards) until I was ready. I went here: http://hamexam.org/ Registering is just to keep track of the questions you have trouble with and puts them in more often. I passed one the first try. (and I'm not one to take tests)It's great fun and everyone I have met is exceptionally friendly and are more than willing to help. Good luck. kd8sro is clear.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts