Status
Please reply by conversation.

netbuilder

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Missouri
Handy at Ku, Newbie at C, HELP Please

I picked up an old 6' C band (yes I know 10 feet is better - but I got it free) the other day and I've been dying to get it going. I also found a Uniden 4400 Super / Videocipher II Plus IRD at a flea market of all places.

I was hoping to run the LNB feed into my existing system (see pics and DiseqC diagram HERE ) and use this Uniden device to turn the actuator motor to move the dish and use my Pansat 3500SD to turn the polarotor. I probably wouldn't use the Uniden to view unless I was going to tune in analog.

The dish was taken out from a working status so all the adjustments to the dish are set and it only moved about 20 miles bird's eye view so I probably won't have to mess with that. I'm assuming I just mount the dish where the dish is level pointed due south and the actuator moves the dish and handles the curve by itself (similar to the Ku dish movers).

The part that throws me is the polarotor thingie. My Pansat has terminals for that on the back along with skew adjustments in the satellite setup. How am I supposed to find out what that setting is supposed to be set at so I can set it in the Pansat? It has an adjustment in the system for (-45 to +45) under skew. How do I figure out what bird needs what skew while I'm tuning this thing in so I don't miss it?

I'm also assuming that my C-band LNB will have H and V outputs. I was planning on putting this on 2 open ports of my existing DiseqC. Hopefully my LNB has a single output but I'm not at home to see if it does or not. Could I replace this with a single output LNBF (I'm sure that answer is yes - please correct me if I'm wrong)?

What else am I missing here...? Any other help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I'm also assuming that my C-band LNB will have H and V outputs. I was planning on putting this on 2 open ports of my existing DiseqC. Hopefully my LNB has a single output but I'm not at home to see if it does or not. Could I replace this with a single output LNBF (I'm sure that answer is yes - please correct me if I'm wrong)?

What else am I missing here...? Any other help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I know the Pansat has the skew capability but I haven't tried it. The LNBF from DMS International model BSC621-2 will work fine. It does C and Ku bands with a built in DiSEqC switch.

After reviewing what I wrote, I realized the BSC621-1 has a Universal Ku LNBF. The 621 has a Standard with a 22 khz switch. I use a 621 with 2 cables since I need 10750 for 4DTV on the Ku side.

There are plenty of good C-banders who can help ya out, but if you are in a hurry, give the Geo-Orbit site a good read.
It'll tell ya about everything there is to know about BUDs... though it may take multiple readings to digest it all.
It's where I finally understood the what, why, and how of declination.

But as to your existing 6' dish and LNB, it probably has one actual LNB with a single output.
(I didn't see the promised pictures on your site)
....and it's the polarotor that tunes you between Vertical and Horizontal polarity.
Start here and scroll down a little bit for more direct info.

Hope that helps you get going.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)