Hard Drive Bargain Watch

Toward the end of the video a question was asked about storing music on the external HDD. Does anyone have any more info on this?

-Funk

Maxtor External 750 Gig

Hello all,

OfficeMax has a sale on a Maxtor 750 GIG 7200 RPM 16 Meg Cache External Hard Drive for $189.99, you can pick it up at your local store.

I also had a Free $10.00 Off any $50 purchase in the mail a couple of days ago so the Hard Drive was only $179.99.

Now I'm ready for Dish Network to "ALLOW" me to enable that Drive for the "Bargain Price" of $39.99.

BRING ON EXTERNAL STORAGE!!!

John

FYI, courtesy of Fatwallet, I just ordered the Seagate FreeAgent Desktop 500 from Amazon for $116.95. Cart price is $129.95, but apply coupon FREEAGNT for $13 discount. Don't forget to select free shipping.

FYI, courtesy of Fatwallet, I just ordered the Seagate FreeAgent Desktop 500 from Amazon for $116.95. Cart price is $129.95, but apply coupon FREEAGNT for $13 discount. Don't forget to select free shipping.

Nice drive, + seagate 5-yr warranty..
Rats,, Amazon back up to $146.99, but coupon still takes off $14.70
Free shipping and no tax.

Here's a very nice external from TigerDirect:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB 7200 16MB ATA-100 EIDE OEM Hard Drive with Ultra Mini Portable USB 2.0 Firewire External Hard Drive Enclosure at TigerDirect.com

TC3J-2259-main.jpg

just an FYI; I have had 2 of these units from tiger direct and both had VERY NOISY FANS...so loud, I ended up ebaying both of them...
The problem I had with mine was it would die in the middle of USB 2.0 transfers. The Firewire wasn't much better. Quite a disappointment. I ended up buying an IOMagic enclosure from Staples and it has been solid.

I ordered a LaCie 500GB from Amazon (using the SatGuys store, I hope the other Amazon shoppers remembered!) for $125 delivered.

Just some friendly advice from someone that's been a serious PC hobbyist for 20+ years. Those of you buying these "bargain" external drives are going to be very sad when your drive fails a few months down the road due to heat issues. If you plan to connect an external drive to your 622 and leave it running, do yourself a favor and spend the extra $20-30 and buy a quality enclosure that actively cools the hard drive it houses using a quiet built in fan.

A 500 gig bare internal hard drive can easily be found online at lots of reputable vendors for around $100. Placing one in a quality enclosure that actively cools the drive is VERY easy to do - only takes a screwdriver and 2-3 minutes of your time.

I'm using AMS VENUS 3.5" enclosure and a 500 gig drive I purchased from Newegg. Total cost < $150 shipped. Did it cost more than a "bargain" $119 external unit? Sure! Will it operate 24/7 and not suffer a premature failure due to being enclosed in small plastic coffin... you bet! The hard drive also has a 3 year warranty.

These bargain external units just weren't designed to house and operate a hard drive 24/7 which is what you'll want your 622's external drive to do. The drives selected and used within them are also often the very cheapest units the manufacturers can get their hands on and they often only include a 1 year warranty or less.

Caveat emptor!

Last edited:
Question, kinda wrong forum but I have a cooling fan under the unit and do I need a USB Hub or is that not how to work the Ext HD and cooler ?

I went just in case and got a usb 2.0 hub for 10 bucks and a 119 dollar WD drive ( yes it's 8 mg cache ) but it's cheap

Anyways, is this going to work ok with both connected to that one USB port ?
I mean I assume yes but you know what happens when you assume!

These bargain external units just weren't designed to house and operate a hard drive 24/7 which is what you'll want your 622's external drive to do.

I agree entirely about the bargain drives. However, I surely don't plan on leaving my 622 drive on 24/7. There is no reason for that. Turn it on when you want to transfer to it or play from. Otherwise, it's off. Why tempt fate?

I ordered this and it arrived yesterday. It will be hooked up to my 622 today just waiting for the day that it can be activated.

Just some friendly advice from someone that's been a serious PC hobbyist for 20+ years... blah, blah, blah...
Caveat emptor!

Discussed at length with links to studies and other data.

You might want to read the thread all the way through, and the other thread on 622 External Drives.

However, a reminder every now and then can't hurt.

Supercharged_Z06, that's one thing I checked for on the LaCie drive (it does). I agree; that IoMagic enclosure doesn't have a fan and I leave it off except when I need it, and the enclosure is warm to the touch when I'm done with the backups.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)