Harmon Kardon Invoke (Cortana Speaker)

EarDemon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2014
USA
Anyone else pick up one of these during the half off sale?

I just noticed that when I say 'Hey Google' it triggers the speaker but for a split second. The top light ring lights up and does a half of a rotation and then it stops, I can't give the speaker any commands, but I find it funny that Hey Google is a hot word. Just curious is anyone else is experiencing this. Ok Google doesn't trigger it, Hey Google does.

The speaker is the best sounding smart speaker I've ever heard. Worlds better then my Google Home, and the various Echo's I've played with. Harmon did a wonderful job with this.

Does it do the same, or function properly if you say "Hey Cortana?"

If same, it's a bug, otherwise you found an Easter egg.

It functions properly when I say Hey Cortana as I have no problem streaming from TuneIn or turning my lights on and off when using Hey Cortana as the hot word. Just for fun I tried 'Hey Alexa' and and it does they same thing as when I say 'Hey Google'. Ring illuminates, half a rotation and then fizzles out.

Too much of a coincidence here :)

If only they had outfit it with an assistant that actually did something more than voice recognition for Bing queries. The skill set seems very, very limited (a historically chronic problem with Windows devices).

Absent much of the IoT functionality that Echos and Google Homes's claim, it is going up against the likes of Sonos as a really expensive wireless speaker.

Maybe it’s processing “Hey.”

Good thought, but I also tried Hey Siri last night and got no response. Tried it multiple times cycling between Google, Alexa and Siri. Only Google and Alexa triggered the semi response.

If only they had outfit it with an assistant that actually did something more than voice recognition for Bing queries. The skill set seems very, very limited (a historically chronic problem with Windows devices).

Absent much of the IoT functionality that Echos and Google Homes's claim, it is going up against the likes of Sonos as a really expensive wireless speaker.

Agreed. Looking at the Cortana Skills, they are extremely limited, but I'm probably going to use the Invoke for music, mainly. For home control, podcasts and general use I'll use the Google Home. Having just signed up for Audible, the ability to play audio books on the Echo is the main reason I got it. Plus the Echo has the most functionality, so it will be fun to play with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)