Harmonic Encoder Improvements? (Feedback Need it)

DarrellP said:
If you guys want to see what HD sports should look like, tune in HDNET if you have it, it will blow you away. This is the PQ that Voom needs to step up to, so if you are reading this, Voom engineers, take a peek at HDNET from Dish and see what they are delivering, crystal clear, rock steady HD at full bitrate.
No need for HDNet to see how sports should look like. Try College bastketball this month on CBS-HD OTA

Walter L. said:
No need for HDNet to see how sports should look like. Try College bastketball this month on CBS-HD OTA
Mr. bad grammer say's great post: we to gooooo

New compression

I would have to say that it is worse than before. The picture quality is if anything, more digitized. More digital trail and loss of definition in SD channels

RJ

It may be me but most of the HD originals look fantascially, clear, sharper and brighter. But it just maybe me eating more carrots....."a What's up Doc?" Also I seem to be chased by a pig with the studder.

Sean, HD is HD and whether I am comparing CBS, Voom or HDNET, what does it matter? It should at least give them a goal to shoot for, no? Sure there is a difference in cams, production, etc, but the problem we're having with Voom is the encoders, not the source, just compare Smart Travels on HDNET vs Smart Travels on Voom, I rest my case, if that is not apples to apples, then what is?

I think the PQ tonight is mixed. I saw major pixelation on Ultra HD & Discovery HD, and the mosquito noise is back on Equator HD.
However, "The Baroness and the Pig" on WorldCinema HD (102) was incredible! I think the Cinema 10 channels have been looking very good for a while now.

DarrellP said:
Sean, HD is HD and whether I am comparing CBS, Voom or HDNET, what does it matter? It should at least give them a goal to shoot for, no? Sure there is a difference in cams, production, etc, but the problem we're having with Voom is the encoders, not the source, just compare Smart Travels on HDNET vs Smart Travels on Voom, I rest my case, if that is not apples to apples, then what is?

There's no HDnet on VOOM to compare. Compare DiscoveryHD and ESPNHD both common channels at this point. But seriously this thread is not about comparing HD from one provider to another. It's about correcting problems seeing on VOOM. As I said before, if you want to create a comparison thread with others providers, by all means, do it but refrain from doing comparison on this thread. You will be posting the wrong thread.

All the channels, maybe except cinema 10 , look just basically overcompressed to me in the last couple of days.

I subscribed to VOOM to see great HD tv. What I have seen so far questions my need to stay with VOOM. I see a better picture from cable or OTA now. The only reason I made a switch was the picture quality and amount of channels VOOM offered. So why does VOOM feel a need to lower the quality to squeeze more crap in. Please just wait to deliver more channels the way VOOM is known for. That being High Quality HD TV.

The Pq has to improve. Worldsport basketball is unwatchable with the pixelation and video noise, even the premiums are looking soft. Cmon Voom, no more channels for now, just give us good pq on the current channels and add channels when there is more bandwith and not compressing the current.

Response time of the STB in changing channel or displaying PG is really bad. Sometimes as much as 10 seconds from the time you hit change channel or info to the time it displays. If almost acts like a computer that has its memory crammed and is trying to cache and can't catch up fast enough.

Yep, I say fix picture quality first, and only then, if you can, continue adding channels (and really the focus should be on HD).

But PQ, together with the HD exclusives, is what makes Voom different and worth a premium.

GO VOOM :clap :clap :clap

On my Sony GWIII, I was just comparing USA between Voom and my cable provider (Brighthouse). This would be a Svideo input on a standard def channel.

What I found is that the cable signal appeared a tad sharper. Looking at text during some ads, I could see why. The Voom signal is fairly clean, while the one from Brighthouse has edge enhancement. Never the less, when making comparisons to D* and E*, check out text and see if you see some edge enhancement that doesn't appear with Voom. If you prefer the sharper image(I do)then adjust your sharpness setting.

riffjim4069 said:
I haven't had time to sit-down and analyze the PQ...however, I rebooted 2 hours ago and still no PG.
I see the same problem. Sometimes it takes DAYS to get a new PG.

SmiGump said:
Okay, while the rest of you debate whether or not VOOM will be around come April, I'd like to discuss the impact that the "technical upgrades completed" had. I don't only consider it a placebo at best, I am positive that the picture quality is not better, but worse. Of course that's just my opinion. I never saw the microstutters from months past for instance, but I have always seen the mosquito noise and other motion artifacts. Today, those motion artifacts are more pronounced with the obvious being more blocking than usual. Can anyone honestly tell me the basketball game now being played on World Sport looks better than before? Even Discovery HD (usually my HD reference) doesn't seem up to par.

Okay, may the flaming commence... just my two cents, but I'm not happy (so far) with the "improvements". Sure, maybe the new encoders are using much less bandwidth and are therefore "better" than the previous ones. That'll give us more HD now (before new birds come online), but at what price?

P.S. Had to reboot today and have not received any guide info yet (2 hours and counting). Is this another "improvement" or is it not related?

And here is my 2 cents:
A Harmonic Encoder is a brand name. Harmonic makes an encoder. Lets say it is of the MPEG-2 variety; As I understand, the way it works is that it removes the noise. Thus, it improves the picture and also makes the size of the file or stream just a little smaller. I do not know if fast action will appear to step as with slow bit rates or MPEG-4 (non Harmonic). Technical comments welcome.

Enough talk about this problem, let's fix it already! While image quality with little or no motion may be improved a little, motion artifacts are often pretty bad. Did CVC lay off anyone with the technical knowledge to fix it?

I have to add, I see more loss of signal now. Meaning I'll get a row of blocks that freeze then disappear after 10 seconds. This never happened before. I think VOOM should go back to the old encoders that they had before and lose half of the garbage SD channels. Then they could improve the signal of the few SD channels everyone wants to see. I know I could live without 5 or 6 SHO or Cinemax or HBO's. How about C-Span 1 and 2. Who watches them. I only want HD so I chose VOOM. If I intend to watch a movie I'm only going to watch HD. So loose about 10 channels in SD right there and then give us these new channels you've been giving out lately. Even on a SD TV I would see a better picture from a HD signal, so even someone with a SD TV shouldn't care to have only a few movie channels.