Harmony remote. This one will challenge your level of tech knowledge

dvzzz

Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
I have a very interesting situation here that at this point, that I cannot solve on my own, so I am looking for s solid advice.

I am on 5th Harmony now and on 3rd Dish 811 receiver. Here is what happening.

I am having a hardest getting any of the Harmony's to control my Dish 811. This is really puzzling since I tried 1 688, 3 880 and 1 720 and they all have the same problem - they control only from your certain angle or only when reflected from the ceiling. Interestingly, they all control if you quickly press the same button twice, but single press is randomly changes anything at best. I have tried changing repeats 0-5 (Logitech Level 2 Support even tried 7 for me), changed delays between device, keypresses, powerup. Tought in Raw via 811's blaster, also did confirm languages, changed infrared languages manually. It gets a little bit better but never gets consistent.

Repalced Dish 811 twice and, "Yes" I have it set to channel 1. UHF remote from Dish works like a champ, it is Harmony's that cannot do it well.

I am totally stomped at this point, not sure where to go from here. One thing that I know is consistent that if I press anyh button for 811 twice fast I get that to execute. I searched all forums but nobody seems to have that problem.

Very curious in your ideas and suggestions. This question is for the persistent folks. I am not giving up.

BTW, all Harmonies control my LCD and DVD just fine.

Dima.
dvzzz is online now Report Bad Post Report Post
Edit/Delete Message

Instead of investing top dollar in Harmony remotes to test things out, try an inexpensive One-For-All from Wal-Mart. Right now, you're comparing a UHF remote to an IR remote. Try a different IR remote. If the problems persist in the same manner, that would suggest something either with the 811 or the "local environment". Is there anything unique about where you're keeping your 811? Is it behind a glass door perhaps? Here's another option to consider, too, an IR blaster. My DLP came with two two-head IR blaster cables. Since a coffee table blocks the line of site to my AV and satellite receiver, I ran the IR blaster cables from the back of my TV to both units. Now, the TV passes the IR signal from its IR receiver behind the screen to the sat. and AV receiver. A similar arangement may help you out, if it turns out your problem is caused by where you keep your 811.

Really strange! I agree with griz_fan: since you tried 5 Harmony remotes and three 811s, and you are still having a problem that no one else seem to be having, something might be wrong with your environment. For example, a glass door might be blocking IR light while passing visible light. Is there any dirt on the remote?
Take the 811 and Harmony to another room and see if it works there.

Also, make sure to put fresh batteries. My H688 usually starts misfiring when the batteries are about to run out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)