has anybody recorded in hd from voom

pastafazoule

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
has anybody recorded in hd from the voom box,and if so what is the best hd recorder that works with voom

There is no way to record HDTV from VOOM. You can record the SD output with a standard VCR or DVD recorder.

VOOM announced a HDTV DVR for release in 3Q (September).

what about the dvi and firewire,i though you can record from them

so sean you are saying that if you had a jvc 3000hd recorder you can't record in hd,i heard there was different levels of cp,i thought on a ppv channel its scrambled,other channels its cp free and like hbo you have one chance to copy

pastafazoule said:
so sean you are saying that if you had a jvc 3000hd recorder you can't record in hd,i heard there was different levels of cp,i thought on a ppv channel its scrambled,other channels its cp free and like hbo you have one chance to copy

Not familiar with jvc 3000hd but isn't it recording HD through Firewire? As to the HDCP level, not exactly know what level (if any) VOOM is using, but it was required by the programmers when VOOM signed the contract so I expect it has to be at the highest level through DVI. You can still record the Analog source (component) as it is not protected or downgraded if you have such a device.

what about the dvi and firewire,i though you can record from them
DVI can't be recorded with current technology. The JVC 3000/4000 and Mitsubishi D-VHS VCRs only record HDTV from Firewire, and no VOOM STB (and no Dish or DirecTV box) has functional Firewire output.
you can't record in hd,i heard there was different levels of cp,i thought on a ppv channel its scrambled,other channels its cp free and like hbo you have one chance to copy
This is part of the cable DTV agreement. It applies to cable and cable boxes with Firewire. Again, no satellite box has functional Firewire.

Ken F said:
DVI can't be recorded with current technology. The JVC 3000/4000 and Mitsubishi D-VHS VCRs only record HDTV from Firewire, and no VOOM STB (and no Dish or DirecTV box) has functional Firewire output.
This is part of the cable DTV agreement. It applies to cable and cable boxes with Firewire. Again, no satellite box has functional Firewire.

Not quite true. See http://www.169time.com
(legality of this co. may be in question).

W-VHS would do it, but it's very pricey...

There are machines out there, manufactured primarily by JVC, that do W-VHS recording. Where the JVC HM-DH30000u D-VHS machine will record only from firewire output (and is subject to copy protection flags), the JVC W-VHS decks actually record via the analog component video output of any device that is pushing 1080i. The downsides are: the decks are really expensive ($3-5K), they can only record two channels of audio, they can only record 1080i sources (anything 720p or 480i isn't going to record), and the tapes are darned expensive too ($30 per). The upside is that there is no broadcast flag to deal with, since you are recording the analog component outputs off of whatever HD box you care to plug into it.

Do searches for SR-W5U and SR-W7U if you are interested. I haven't purchased one myself, as they are too rich for my blood...

Jeff

At AVSForum, they had a blow out sale on the W-VHS machines for around $1100 (the sticky is gone, so they must be all gone). The JVC 30K does require firewire to record HD. I have a 30K but have nothing I can record HD from at the moment so I use S-Video on Standard speed on a digital tape and get DVD quality.

The WVHS was $950. They might still be available. I use one, and it is outstanding. Tapes are more like $21, and then only for the very longest of them. It is really outstanding with Voom. With that said... I might be selling mine soon (personal reasons).

-MP

Is D-VHS of signifigant higher quality than a Tivo using S-Video? I use this setup with Voom, and on Best setting HD looks very good. I'm still ancy for some HD-DVR, but can't afford $1,000 for DirecTivo or POS DVR-921.

What about component or DVI input into an HTPC?

Does anyone know if it is possible to record from the component (YUV) or DVI outputs from the VOOM STB into a fast HTPC?

For example, my Fusion III card's software allows my HTPC (3.2ghz HT P-4) to record a 19.2 Mhz HD program flawlessly and with perfect picture quality OTA into a *.ts file (it stands for "transport stream"). Another piece of software allows simple editing (cutting) and conversion of the *.ts file to burn DVDs and DiVx (MPEG-4). There is NO copy protection on the Fusion III HDTV receiver. It takes about 9GHz per hour of recording...

I would just need a component or DVI "Video in" card for my PC, plus the necessary DVR/PVR software.

Any suggestions? Thanks

No. It doesn't exist for less than 10k. Your only option is to use WVHS. That's it. It is the only method to record HD quality (albeit 1080i analog) from component, and there's no way to record DVI.

WVHS quality is great. It is better than SD recordings on a Tivo.

Who makes WVHS and how much does the units and tape cost? What vertical and horizontal resolution max does it support...btw, thanks for the reply...It seems a shame that there isn't a cheap "Component" VIVO card...

Sorry

Sorry, didn't remember the earlier post on WVHS from JVC...scratch the question on WVHS...How about a "component in" on a DVD Recorder for 720 x 480p recording?

Might be, but that's not recording the HD. You'd do just as well to use SVideo and record to a replay or tivo. FOr actual HD recording off component, the WVHS is it.