has anybody recorded in hd from voom

As Madpoet points out, JVC W-VHS decks will record 1080i via component. You can still get the JVC W-VHS SRW5 from the boys over at AVS Forum. Everything below was pulled from the thread on AVS Forum posted below.

JVC W-VHS brand new, full warranty:Special.
SRW5 $949
SRW7 $999

JVC W-VHS (AVS Forum Power Buy)

More info on W-VHS Decks:
Link
Link
Link

D9 Video Tape:
Link
Note: You may get a deal on tapes with AVSForum reference (See AVSForum Thread)

Recording Time:
D9 104 Tapes = 3 Hours 5 Minutes
D9 64 Tapes = 1 Hours 55 Minutes

How about a "component in" on a DVD Recorder for 720 x 480p recording?
Nope. Currently available consumer DVD recorders only do 480i recording.

It seems a shame that there isn't a cheap "Component" VIVO card...
We'd better hope they don't become available cheap anytime soon, because as soon as they are, studios will have the ammunition they need to get the "analog hole" closed. The studios already want it closed, but the FCC said no, based on the fact that a) it would obsolete many HD televisions, and b) there was no affordable way to record or digitally encode HD content from analog connections.

As Madpoet points out, JVC W-VHS decks will record 1080i via component.
There is significant quality loss, but WVHS is still far far better than the quality you get with 480i.

The main issue with WVHS recording is obviously the cost of tapes -- they are not cheap. I have heard it might be possible to punch your own, though I'm not sure how well that works.

Tapes are about $20 for the longest of them (~3 hours). The shorter ones are much cheaper. The SRW7 is out of stock, only the SRW5 remains. It really is a nice, if extravagent, purchase.

cyuhnke said:
Is D-VHS of signifigant higher quality than a Tivo using S-Video? I use this setup with Voom, and on Best setting HD looks very good. I'm still ancy for some HD-DVR, but can't afford $1,000 for DirecTivo or POS DVR-921.

:yes I can't vouch for recording, but on playback of DVHS HD tapes, they are incredible, even better than OTA since they have a bitrate of 28 Mbs and the sound rocks too since they have a full bitrate DD soundtrack. U-571 is simply incredible. :eek:

madpoet when you recorded ota hd was that with the voom box,and is that firewire

What about the Holo3DGraph? It's about $1100 but you'll have virtually unlimited storage space (hard disks). Sounds good on paper, anyone have any experience with it?

EDIT: just read the FAQ on their site, and it is as limited as I had feared. Only supports 480i/576i, 3rd party apps for PVRing...etc

Correct. It will not capture HD above 480p I believe. We all hope that some form of PC-based solution comes along. But right now, you're stuck with the WVHS solution as the only one that can record true HD (albeit analog) from Voom.

Hey guys, check out this new digital tuner, it hooks up via USB and will work as a PVR. It doesn't look like it will be HD, just DVD quality, but it still looks pretty cool and only costs $250.

There's already a USB HD tuner here in the states (may be the same one). $250 isn't terribly cheap, unless you have to have a USB version of a tuner card.

That $250 tuner might be DVB (the European/Australasia standard) instead of ATSC (the United States standard) for digital OTA...

NEWS FLASH - HDV (JVC) and Sony HD Consumer Camcorders...

Here in Las Vegas, Sony just announced at the NAB show a consumer-oriented HD camcorder...no details, but will advise as I find out...JVC already announced a HDV unit that uses existing DV tapes...

The Sony handheld 720p camcorder is supposed to be very nice... but I don't think it's going to let you record HD off a set top box. And they are pretty expensive.

The article said it would be distributed here so it has to be ATSC compliant. I'm sure with a $250 list it will probably drop under $200 street price. I still think it's an affordable option to outfitting a HTPC and it's plug & play, how simple can you get?

madpoet, do you know what the existing USB tuner is?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts