has anyone ever considered....

theph0xx

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 2, 2004
has anyone ever considered....

the possibility that more stations do not take the HD plunge because there isnt enough existing bandwidth for the DBS/cable companies to broadcast their new stations?

what I mean is.... as far as I know.... Voom is currently close to maxed, D* is currently more or less maxed, same for E*... and w/ VOD etc isnt cable maxed as well?

if thats tru... why would more "cable-tv" stations like USA, Sci-Fi, etc go HD since there isnt really room to be picked up. even with Voom's focus on HD they still dont have the room (or the money) in order to get all the available stations (RSN-HDs, PPV-HD, HDnets, InHDs, WealthTV, Etc)

I've always thought about the lack of HD programming from the perspective that providers just didn't think it was worth it money-wise yet.... but i've never pushed it farther to consider maybe it isnt worth it money-wise yet because there is no one who can pay to carry the stations due to bandwidth limitations...

Thoughts? Comments?

this is probably why Voom is adding 2 additional satellites. I'm sure it's mostly for west coast coverage but the one in the middle would be extra bandwidth just waiting to be used.. At least that is my opinion and observations.

Also the development of better compression scheems would help this.

cmslick3 said:
this is probably why Voom is adding 2 additional satellites. I'm sure it's mostly for west coast coverage but the one in the middle would be extra bandwidth just waiting to be used.. At least that is my opinion and observations.

Also the development of better compression scheems would help this.

I only read the press release that stated Voom was adding in a second Sat. that would allow for plenty more channels as well as going to either WM9/MPG4. I didn't know it was a 2nd Satellite. Also from what I've read on this forum it's doubtful the second satellite will simply be used as a "backup" Sat.

Dvlos said:
I only read the press release that stated Voom was adding in a second Sat. that would allow for plenty more channels as well as going to either WM9/MPG4. I didn't know it was a 2nd Satellite. Also from what I've read on this forum it's doubtful the second satellite will simply be used as a "backup" Sat.
Sometime soon they will start using a SAT at around 68.0 (If I remeber correctly). They also just won slots on two very far west birds. So in total it's three new birds but none are owned by Voom...they are just using them.

wasch_24 said:
Sometime soon they will start using a SAT at around 68.0 (If I remeber correctly). They also just won slots on two very far west birds. So in total it's three new birds but none are owned by Voom...they are just using them.

If I'm not mistaken, the two west slots are only orbital slots, no satelliets exist in those locations at the present time.

Voom really needs one-two more of it's own birds, leased transponders on another companies birds have much less future to them. Unless Voom is setting up itself to be acquired.

I'm referring the Sat they are leasing transponders from at 68.0 that's what the elliptical Dish upgrade is for right? I thought in that same press release they reference the capabilities for channel expansion that would give Voom.

I wonder what the West Sat's are for? I thought VOom was already available throughout the country? Could it be for RSN?

Dvlos said:
I'm referring the Sat they are leasing transponders from at 68.0 that's what the elliptical Dish upgrade is for right? Correct I thought in that same press release they reference the capabilities for channel expansion that would give Voom. Yep.

I wonder what the West Sat's are for? I thought VOom was already available throughout the country? Could it be for RSN? It is Nation wide but left coasters have trouble with the low look angle/elevation

this is probably why Voom is adding 2 additional satellites. I'm sure it's mostly for west coast coverage but the one in the middle would be extra bandwidth just waiting to be used..

Does anyone have a link to this press release? Is there a go-live date for this additional satellite? I keep hearing about addition satellites and know very little about the topic/voom's plans. All of this information happened before I subscribed to Voom. I'd also like to read more official statements about WM9 and/or new compression schemes in the plans.

Thanks!

ChetK said:
Does anyone have a link to this press release? Is there a go-live date for this additional satellite? I keep hearing about addition satellites and know very little about the topic/voom's plans. All of this information happened before I subscribed to Voom. I'd also like to read more official statements about WM9 and/or new compression schemes in the plans.

Thanks!

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=149194#post149194

Do a google search

Chet,

Buying a slot and having the cash to insert a bird into that slot are too different things. Voom will not have it's own new bird in the next 12 months. They simply can't afford it.

Selling leased space and selling slots they have bought are easy, if Voom can't make it. They won't turn a profit for a long, long time.

Dvlos said:
Sorry am I getting yelled at? I love you and Voom?
No, not yelling just playing with the size and color tools. Sorry about that. For future reference, if I ever do yell, it will be really big with lot's of exclamation points. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts