Hauppauge?

Lord_Vader

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Richmond, VA
Does anyone use a hauppauge DVR with a Dish STB? I would like to use windows media center long term and thought I might try it out with my existing service first.

I see that hauppauge has a new HD unit now.
HD PVR Product overview

Thanks in advance

It's been out for some time and works with both satellite services as well as cable. You control the Dish receiver with an IR blaster. They've recently upgraded their drivers to work with Win7.

I don't use one myself, but I've seen a lot of discussion about it on other forums like BeyondTV and AVS where there are threads dedicated to it. If you want to record HD from either satellite or cable it's your only option right now.

I've used it with Windows Media Center and with Sage TV for my Dish. The unit works very well with the latest drivers. The Sage setup is more mature at this time and easier to get running. The drivers for media center are new, and a work in progress. Setup is a bit of a pain, as the guide info needs to be configured manually, but once your done, it's smooth sailing. The picture quality is very good. The folks at the green button can help you get it setup for media center.

I might add, once you have this setup you won't want to use a normal DVR again. You also have the flexibility to change your tv provider, or mix and match, without having to retrain the family on a different companies DVR.

Is there any way to rig this to record sequentially several recordings from a ViP722 DVR? I understand I could call up the program, press play and then press record on the Hauppauge. But is there any way to use it's IR blaster to tell the ViP DVR to play two or three or more DVR'd programs and record them? If I ever decide to move from Dish to Fios, I'll need to record hundreds of hours from EHDs.

I've used it with Windows Media Center and with Sage TV for my Dish. The unit works very well with the latest drivers. The Sage setup is more mature at this time and easier to get running. The drivers for media center are new, and a work in progress. Setup is a bit of a pain, as the guide info needs to be configured manually, but once your done, it's smooth sailing. The picture quality is very good. The folks at the green button can help you get it setup for media center.

I might add, once you have this setup you won't want to use a normal DVR again. You also have the flexibility to change your tv provider, or mix and match, without having to retrain the family on a different companies DVR.

The ability to change is the primary reason I am looking into it. I think I may eventually go to FIOS, but would be willing to do Dish / WMC for a while. I don't want to change to much on the kids at one time. :)

The other reason is that I can't seem to get a stable DVR from Dish anymore. I'm churning through the 722s about every 4-6 months. They've all failed from bad hard drives. I have them in cool air and the temps look ok. Not sure whats going on.

What STB should I use? The 211?

Is there a 1 to 1 time ratio when recording off of your 622? I have 10 EHD's that I'm thinking of archiving. That would be a lot of time.....

And I guess you could then store those recordings on a different EHD for your computer to play?

Yup 1 to 1, then cut the commercials, I have a 2TB that would be full, but I nuked a folder I shouldn't have and lost 2 seasons of edited Survivors, some SGA's & some Sliders... :eek: I use a WDTV box to watch... I have 1 folder full of concerts & music videos from various programs...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)