Have 921 thinking about 622, Have Q's

tekone2k

Original poster
Jan 27, 2006
I have a 921 (On my 4th in just over a year and still plagued with issues), I am out of contract and seriously considered going back to D*. I begged E* to send me a 942 and was willing to pay an upcharge but not the $700+ they wanted. If I go to D*, I would get the 10-250 and a second R10 all for $230 after rebates. Anyway, I was wondering if I get E* to upgrade me to the lease program with minimal out of pocket expense would they send tech to install a Dish 1000 or would they charge extra for that. Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have Comcast HD available but don't have anyone to compare their PQ and cost, CS, etc.

tekone2k said:
I have a 921 (On my 4th in just over a year and still plagued with issues), I am out of contract and seriously considered going back to D*. I begged E* to send me a 942 and was willing to pay an upcharge but not the $700+ they wanted. If I go to D*, I would get the 10-250 and a second R10 all for $230 after rebates. Anyway, I was wondering if I get E* to upgrade me to the lease program with minimal out of pocket expense would they send tech to install a Dish 1000 or would they charge extra for that. Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have Comcast HD available but don't have anyone to compare their PQ and cost, CS, etc.
As a fellow 921 owner you have my sympathy. I've had the same one for 14 months but its always something hanging up on it that usually is taken care of with either a soft or hard boot or simply time. Still VERY frustrating! Anyway, the answer to your question is yes, Dish is supposed to provide you with whatever you need--a Dish 1000 or another Dish to pick up 61.5 if need be to get the new MPEG4 HD. Most of the country is supposed to be ok with the 1000, it sees 110/119 & 129 birds. If you're in the Northeast you'll need another dish to see 61.5 instead of 129. Whichever you require is supposed to be provided for a total of $99 (lease) but you do have to return your beloved 921 for which you paid either $549 or $999. :rolleyes:
Ed
Oh yeah, you do have to wait until after 4/1 for the rebate. If you get it sooner its $299, NO REBATE. After 4/1 you pay $299 but are eligible for a $200 "rebate". Don't know but I strongly suspect the "rebate" will be something like $10 credit a month for 20 months???:(

Last edited:
Thanks for the info old corps! By the way I am in SE Michigan (how bout this cold!), anyway are you going to take the plunge and get the 622? I'm not sure I want to give them another 18 months. I'm not sure if I can take the learning curve back to Tivo although I loved it and missed it terribly when I switched to the 921. My only question is will I have to do it again when D*'s new MPEG4 arrives without Tivo.

Thanks again,
Greg

Greg- Yer welcome my friend. Yes indeed winter sucks, don't care for it at all! Yeah, I guess I will probably do the 622 switch, gonna wait & see what the product performs like 1st! It's always something with this damned 921. I've been fortunate compared to some I guess. Lately I've been having the "NO INFO AVAILABLE" problem(AGAIN) with the guide past one hour. As I speak (type?) I'm blessed with 1 1/2 days worth of info on my 9 day guide.:rolleyes: I see on another site that I'm not alone, several posts from 921 people with the same problem. If ya happen to be up & see this check ahead on you're guide wouldja? I can get as far as Tues.1:00pm. I live N. of Flint, S. of Saginaw. Little town of Montrose. Take care!
Ed

old corps said:
Greg- Yer welcome my friend. Yes indeed winter sucks, don't care for it at all! Yeah, I guess I will probably do the 622 switch, gonna wait & see what the product performs like 1st! It's always something with this damned 921. I've been fortunate compared to some I guess. Lately I've been having the "NO INFO AVAILABLE" problem(AGAIN) with the guide past one hour. As I speak (type?) I'm blessed with 1 1/2 days worth of info on my 9 day guide.:rolleyes: I see on another site that I'm not alone, several posts from 921 people with the same problem. If ya happen to be up & see this check ahead on you're guide wouldja? I can get as far as Tues.1:00pm. I live N. of Flint, S. of Saginaw. Little town of Montrose. Take care!
Ed

My 921 has been doing it off and on for the past week, today was back to the nine days. Of course today the 921 also stretched the sd picture to 4x it's normal size and had to 'soft reset' it anyway. Don't really care that much right now though as I hooked up a 622 on Friday and I have not seen a receiver this easy to work in my seven years with E*. (By the way replaced a leased 811 and sold my 501). Figured with sale and reduce bill would eventually make up the $299. If they would give another $99 upgrade for the 622, I would be on it in a flash. I kept the 921 for now for the dvr and ota and was real careful with the activation so that the HD package would remain active. From some other posts I read I feel lucky that my activation worked. Thanks for the heads up on different problems and I thank the skies I have a decent dealer I can trust.

old corps,
Hea were not that far from each other. I am in Macomb, Shelby Township area, near Rochester, etc. I have an Aunt in Flushing and cousins in Mt. Morris, and Flint. I checked my guide mid day and it was thru Tue. the 28th at Noon. Just checked again and same. I even had to soft boot at Noon because my SD/HD button was stuck. Sounds wierd, let me know if you need anything else. Take care, Greg

Greg-We're practically neighbors, I even lived in Shelby Township (22 & VanDyke area) many moons ago-LOL, old fart here. Back when that was out in the boonies! Was down your way Sat. for son's birthday, he's in Sterling Hts. Son #2 lives in Harrison Twp. on Lake St. Clair, by Selfridge ANG base. Let's hope the 622 is MUCH improved over the 921. Gonna wait 'til after 4/1 & keep my eye on feedback as to the 622's performance. I'm up to almost two days worth of info on my 9 day EPG this morning!:rolleyes: Nice Chatting with ya, take care.
Ed

Ed,

FYI, I am in the same boat as you with the guide, I lost it all between last night and 9:00am this morning. Also to make it even a smaller world, I owned a business on 22 Mile and Van Dyke from 99 to 03. I now work for a funding company and sold Real Estate for 4 years all around the area. Nice chatting with you and good luck with your 921!

tekone2k said:
Ed,

FYI, I am in the same boat as you with the guide, I lost it all between last night and 9:00am this morning. Also to make it even a smaller world, I owned a business on 22 Mile and Van Dyke from 99 to 03. I now work for a funding company and sold Real Estate for 4 years all around the area. Nice chatting with you and good luck with your 921!
Small world ain't it, LOL. When I lived there one of the few businesses along that stretch was "Larry's Hardware". Was a big deal when they opened K-Mart at 23. I had my 1st house on Grace St., couple of blocks north of 22. It was a dead end street then. I went down there a couple of years ago and was shocked to find an exclusive subdivision where empty fields used to be at the end of my street. Had a 1/2 acre lot with a SMALL 2 bedroom house, cost $14,900 in 1970. God knows what the lot alone is worth today. Toldja I wuz an old fart! Take care my friend.
Ed

921 sucks

Hi guys...just registered because of your posts. Great info...glad to see that I am not the only one who has had cronic problems with my 921. I saw you guys talking about a $200 rebate on the new hd-dvr. Do I have to trade my old 921 in or do I get to keep it?

Thanks for all the good information!

Dale

Last edited:
dalel00 said:
Hi guys...just registered because of your posts. Great info...glad to see that I am not the only one who has had cronic problems with my 921. I saw you guys talking about a $200 rebate on the new hd-dvr. Do I have to trade my old 621 in or do I get to keep it?

Thanks for all the good information!

Dale
Dale, I'm assuming you did a bad and meant 921?? If so, YES you have to part with your beloved 921 (that you paid big bucks for-so did I) to be eligible for the rebate. You cannot upgrade before 4/1 to qualify. You can order now & get one for $299, no rebate. BTW, this is a LEASE, I believe buying one is something like $700. Hope this helps.
Ed

Yes it helps...and yes I meant 921...(oops). I don't get it. I bought my 921 privately...not through dish network. Does that make a difference?

Sorry, nope.:( I know how ya feel. I guess its no great advantage to own anymore, the 622 will probably be out dated next year.:rolleyes: Still, you'd think we'd be better compensated having paid the big $$$ and putting up with one very buggy product!
Ed

The person I talked with said i should trade my 921 in and I said no, I will trade a 301 lease in and they said fine. But maybe that is just the typical CSR talk to get my hopes up until I commit to the 622 upgrade.

That sucks. I am also very disappointed that when I call Dish Network that they admit that the 921 has many bugs and that there are no fixes for them, nor do they plan on ever fixing them. It is also a bummer that they don't broadcast locals in HD.

Oh well...what choice do I have?

PS Heard your grumblings about the cold...Green Bay Wisconsin here (Born in Ann Arbor) so I feel your pain.

I do have a leased 501 in my bedroom...I would gladly trade that in.

I might just call and see what they say.