have a transponder question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hanson

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Apr 15, 2009
ky.
hello, everyone ,this is my 1st time posting. kinda new to the fta ,my question is on galaxy17? at 91 degrees. on trans. 3800 h 30000 my signal goes up and down,then when i scan no channels are found and the quality is down to 0,takes a minute to come back up. the other trans. quality is 70-80 percent,but this one stays around 40-50 percent. i have a 10" dish with a califonia lnb and an old fortec star ultra reciever i picked up at a flea market a few months ago. didn't realize how much fun this hobby is,ican't wait till i can get some free time so i can start searching the skies.

hello, everyone ,this is my 1st time posting. kinda new to the fta ,my question is on galaxy17? at 91 degrees. on trans. 3800 h 30000 my signal goes up and down,then when i scan no channels are found and the quality is down to 0,takes a minute to come back up. the other trans. quality is 70-80 percent,but this one stays around 40-50 percent. i have a 10" dish with a califonia lnb and an old fortec star ultra reciever i picked up at a flea market a few months ago. didn't realize how much fun this hobby is,ican't wait till i can get some free time so i can start searching the skies.

That transponder is usually encrypted. Your Ultra has a couple options for what channels to scan in, and if you have chosen FTA, it won't scan in encrypted channels. If you chose one of the other options, normally it will, and you won't be able to view them, however this particular mux doesn't have the A/V PIDs listed in the PMT, so the receiver has no way to know what PIDs go with what channel. You'll probably need to wait until it goes FTA, and then scan them in, or enter the PIDs manually.

However none of that explains the S/Q jumping around. The Ultra has a big problem in that if too many transponders or channels have been saved, it kind of goes beserk. I'd recommend that before doing anything, first make sure that it has the most up to date firmware in it, and if not, load it up. I think the original firmware had a bug whereby if you switched to a HD channel, the remote would stop working, but later firmware versions fixed that. {No, it can't play HD, but a HD channel would freeze it.}
Then, get the Gtools channel editor off the Fortec site, and upload the channel file to your computer, and see what channels you have loaded, and check the number of transponders and channels, and active transponders down at the bottom left, and make sure that you haven't exceeded any of the maximums. If you have, the thing will act crazy at times. I would recommend wiping out all the unused channels and transponders, leaving 1 transponder on each sat you intend to use.
Hopefully, starting from a fresh slate, the receiver will be more stable. It's a good receiver. The blind scan sometimes takes two scans, one at low SR and one at high SR, but it comes up with the right freq/SR, unlike the more recent Fortecs like the Mercury/Dynamic, which are ALWAYS off freq/SR.

how do you do a low sr and high sr scan?

I forget the exact menu items, but when you do a power scan, I think near where you select polarity, there is an option to scan either below 7.5 or above 7.5 (ie SR of 7500). There is also an option to scan all SRs I think, but that never worked well for me. I usually had to scan both in low range and high range or else it would miss some transponders.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Any HD on AMC1 at 103W?

Signal Meter Sensitivity??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)