Have direct tv but want local channels via ota roof antenna / antenna in connector

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Stevhls

Original poster
Nov 1, 2010
St. Louis
I have direct tv but want local channels via roof antenna as well (don't want them through direct tv) the back of my direct tv box has a "antenna in" connection but this seems to do nothing. Can I get a box that converts both the direct tv and OTA signals? Or what am I doing wrong with the antenna in
Thanks

welcome :wave
what receiver model do you have? The fact you mention an antenna in connection usually means it is NOT a HD receiver. IN most receivers that have that option (antenna in) its just a passthrough and you still need either a converter box or a TV that can decode the digital signal

HD receivers require the AM21 add on tuner for it.

Don't forget about the H/HR20 series, they have ota tuners in them.

I have direct tv but want local channels via roof antenna as well (don't want them through direct tv)

You ARE aware that D* will NOT let you remove local channels off your account if you already have them. (if you're thinking of trying to save money) And even for the folks that already don't have them, it's only a $3/month savings...

Where I plan to save some cash is by removing the DNS from my account once we get our locals from DirecTV.
This can depend on exactly which locals we get. ($3.50/network x 4 = $14 then pay the extra $3 for locals and I save $11/month.)
I still have OTA as well.

I have direct tv but want local channels via roof antenna as well (don't want them through direct tv) the back of my direct tv box has a "antenna in" connection but this seems to do nothing. Can I get a box that converts both the direct tv and OTA signals? Or what am I doing wrong with the antenna in
Thanks
Direct sells a tuner, the AM 21. That allows you to watch & record OTA channels on your HR24. It's about 50 bucks and easy to install. I use one on a receiver that allows me to watch sub-channels on my bedroom TV.

Yes, I just set an AM21 up, was amazed at how simple it was (although equally amazed they didn't just include an antenna input on the back of my HR-22!).

All you do is unplug the power to your existing receiver and plug it into the back of the AM21, then plug it's power plug into your existing receiver, hook that antenna input to the back of the AM21, and run the USB cord out of the AM21 into the back of your existing receiver.

Takes all of 5 minutes.

Now going through the setup takes some time, your existing receiver has to reboot, and then you need to enter the ZIP for your AM21 to pick up your locals, which does a scan that takes a while then downloads guide information which takes a while. Maybe 20 minutes tops.

Will the AM21 work with the H24 HD NON-DVR receiver I just got? It would be nice to have everything (DTV & OTA) together.

Will the AM21 work with the H24 HD NON-DVR receiver I just got? It would be nice to have everything (DTV & OTA) together.

Yes it does, I have an AM21 hooked up to my H24 between Biloxi (15 miles) and Mobile (55 Miles) I get all Biloxi stations and 3 Mobile/Pensacola stations with an RCA Indoor Flat Antenna on top of my "moved" Birmingham locals. If only I knew how to discreetly install an outdoor antenna I could get more channels from Mobile OTA like WALA and WPMI.

Thanks
The answer to "what am I doing wrong " is you have to turn the D* box off, then the antenna will pass thru. I am in an area that I can receive OTA from 3 different markets, that's why I use my antenna and D* locals. But, I have a Television (with an ATSC tuner), so I simply change TV inputs. Or, you could use you $35 ATSC box.

Thanks for the info. This will make it much easier than switching OTA & DTV. Especially on football, where I can receive Cleveland (my DMA), Youngstown, and even Detroit* & Pittsburgh* (*weather permitting)
I just ordered the AM21 from Solid Signal.

You ARE aware that D* will NOT let you remove local channels off your account if you already have them. (if you're thinking of trying to save money) And even for the folks that already don't have them, it's only a $3/month savings...

This is incorrect .....
You CAN remove the locals from your package, I've done it for quite awhile now.
Yes, you only save $ 3 and they charge $5 to add them , go figure.

The answer to "what am I doing wrong " is you have to turn the D* box off, then the antenna will pass thru. I am in an area that I can receive OTA from 3 different markets, that's why I use my antenna and D* locals. But, I have a Television (with an ATSC tuner), so I simply change TV inputs. Or, you could use you $35 ATSC box.

This all depends on what generation recvr he's talking about that he's using.

You CAN remove the locals from your package, I've done it for quite awhile now.

But when WAS the last time you actually did the removing? If you are an existing sub & were to try & do it today, I can almost guarantee you you won't be sucessful at doing it...

Status
Please reply by conversation.