Have you called E*

Did you call Dishnetwork to complain?

• Yes

Votes: 94 35.1%
  • No

Votes: 174 64.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
People get over it already. VOOM has been dead for the last couple of years. THey have had nothing on but repetitious reruns that I had already seen years ago. The elimination of these channels will allow more mainstream hd channels that people will actually watch. Besides if DISH doesn't catch up with more of these type of channels soon there will be no more new subs for DISH. THey are churning as fast as they can. DIRECTV has more hd channels that people actually watch, has better advertising that has impact and maximum effect in attracting new subs. DISH sat on their laurels when they were the hd leader for too long and now they have suffered a major setback in their satellite launch. THe elimination of VOOM will allow them to get back in the competition with DIRECTV. AND my advice is that they better add the rest of those channels that they said they would plus the missing Fox family of channels or there will be no catching up. Especially when DIRECTV gets their newest satellite that DID launch up and going by this fall-little more than 3 months away. Because DIRECTV will then have capacity to add another 50 or so hd channels. Once DIRECTV gets associated with the most hd out there in the minds of the public , it will be to little- to late for DISH in the hd channel additions. Eliminating VOOM was the wisest and most expediant thing that DISH could do. THey now free up at least 2 hd transponders and they can add about 15 or more mainstream hd channels that the public watches.

AMEN

THey have had nothing on but repetitious reruns that I had already seen years ago.

That is simply not true. They were adding new HD content almost every month with exclusive movies you simply can't get on ANY other channel period! You can't say that with regards to the 19 new channels that were added. Well with the exception of the Hallmark movie channel and maybe a handfull of stuff on MGM and Disney. ;)

When people like me have all the Channels, collect Blue rays, HD DVD's etc. you start to value hard to get movie content. Something that many simply do not understand yet. Now Dish's content is just a poor man's Direct TV.

If I was a new subscriber, why on earth would I pick a provider with the same exact HD channels minus 20 and pay about 20 dollars more for it.
The only selling point Dish has now is the DVR.

THey have had nothing on but repetitious reruns that I had already seen years ago.

That is simply not true. They were adding new HD content almost every month with exclusive movies you simply can't get on ANY other channel period! You can't say that with regards to the 19 new channels that were added. Well with the exception of the Hallmark movie channel and maybe a handfull of stuff on MGM and Disney. ;)

When people like me have all the Channels, collect Blue rays, HD DVD's etc. you start to value hard to get movie content. Something that many simply do not understand yet. Now Dish's content is just a poor man's Direct TV.

If I was a new subscriber, why on earth would I pick a provider with the same exact HD channels minus 20 and pay about 20 dollars more for it.

You're overestimating the intelligence of the average American. ;)

Didn't call, but I did write. Told them the truth, that as a $120+/mon 11-year subscriber, I had decided to switch to D* about a week ago. Then just before I made that phone call, I saw the large addition of HD channels on E*. So I decided to re-evaluate. Then E* took down the 15 VOOM channels.

So now I'm waiting a few days to see what happens. But from where I sit, after all of these changes, I consider D* to continue to be the stronger option. So if it stays the way it is now, I'm going to switch.

That is simply not true. They were adding new HD content almost every month with exclusive movies you simply can't get on ANY other channel period! ;).
Name some . Brain Eaters??? Well that one your right about, Because it sucks! No network in their right mind would rebroadcast that movie. Which is why my guess Voom is gone. Planet of the apes? Nope seen on National TV as well, Halloween, Com'on Not a Voom exclusive.

Name some . Brain Eaters??? Well that one your right about, Because it sucks! No network in their right mind would rebroadcast that movie. Which is why my guess Voom is gone. Planet of the apes? Nope seen on National TV as well, Halloween, Com'on Not a Voom exclusive.

Okay...Even if you don't think they're is a market for the B-type horror movies (which you're EXTREMELY wrong about), where else are you going to see the mainstream/classic horror movies in HD?

Friday the 13th 1-8
Halloween 1-6
All The Nightmare on Elm Streets
Stephen King movies like Pet Sematary, Cujo, Creepshow
Night of the Living Dead
The original Mummy, Dracula, Wolfman, The Ghoul
Hitchcock's like Psycho, The Birds, Frenzy

etc, etc, etc.

Do you seriously believe there is no market for that, really? Wow......:eek:

Everything on the HD Ultimate package is a repeat. NHL Network plays yesterday's hockey games in SD. HDnet recycles old Discovery programs and old movies. Universal HD replays old sporting events and old movies over and over again. MGM HD plays old (and many bad) movies over and over again. Smithsonian HD rehashes the same old programing over and over again.

VOOM and HD DVR were the only things that held Dish subscribers. Take away VOOM and what is left? An empty HD DVR.

VOOM and HD DVR were the only things that held Dish subscribers.

That is a VERY broad statment. I'd imagine that VOOM subscribers were a small percentage of the overall subscriber base. In fact the numbers say that they were losing subs despite having VOOM. It's been said time and time again but the things that sell and retain subs (HD-related) are HD Locals & "Branded" HD Channels.

Not to discount VOOM totally, since the past few days have shown that VOOM has many fans, but I'm not sure they represent a HUGE part of the E* subscriber base.

Not to discount VOOM totally, since the past few days have shown that VOOM has many fans, but I'm not sure they represent a HUGE part of the E* subscriber base.

Well I think the answer to how many Voom fans there are is showing in the poll results. I am assuming the Dish HD customers are just voting and I see close to a third of them are upset about Voom.

That seems like alot to me and enough for Dish to really reconsider this move.

Well I think the answer to how many Voom fans there are is showing in the poll results. I am assuming the Dish HD customers are just voting and I see close to a third of them are upset about Voom.

That seems like alot to me and enough for Dish to really reconsider this move.

Just keep calling, calling, and calling. Tell them about the form letter you have received through email and how pissed you are about not getting the chance to be heard, etc.

Email is worthless at this point if only Charlie's robot is answering...Chat is an option though. I might do chat and the phone at the same time! !protest:neener

If they're going to waste MY time by not answering emails that were written, maybe I will waste theirs.

The Voom lovers fail to see that they are a very, very small market and it made no sense for Dish to battle with Voom when they could use the bandwidth for something that would both retain existing and draw in new customers.

The fact of the matter is, 3-4 of the new channels added will add more to Dish's bottom line than the whole Voom package.

If Voom were popular it would not be in the crapper...it has been there multiple times and is clinging by its nails as we speak..give it 90 days and it will be gone. It has been an constan flop and disappointing performer..the numbers do not lie.

What does Dish offer? A GREAT HD DVR that cable and D* cannot compete with. I have had both and the 622 blows them away (the Moxi brought me close to postal couple times).

Voom has a minuscule following, you can see that a handful of VERY outspoken folks here think differently...but sometimes it is difficult to see outside the box. The polls here are heavily biased as a support forum is NOT a good smaple, yet the polls STILL reflected than 90% of us could care less... If you conducted an ACTUAL poll which Dish has done countless times via watch statistics...the would see that 99% of viewers don't watch Voom.

It is a sound financial decision for Dish to cut Voom and add some valuable programming that mainstream viewers will watch. If Voom lovers are waiting on some kind of miracle Voom comeback..they are going to be very disappointed. This is not like asking your teacher if you can get off the curb...this is a done deal.

The Voom lovers fail to see that they are a very, very small market and it made no sense for Dish to battle with Voom when they could use the bandwidth for something that would both retain existing and draw in new customers.

The fact of the matter is, 3-4 of the new channels added will add more to Dish's bottom line than the whole Voom package.

If Voom were popular it would not be in the crapper...it has been there multiple times and is clinging by its nails as we speak..give it 90 days and it will be gone. It has been an constan flop and disappointing performer..the numbers do not lie.

What does Dish offer? A GREAT HD DVR that cable and D* cannot compete with. I have had both and the 622 blows them away (the Moxi brought me close to postal couple times).

Voom has a minuscule following, you can see that a handful of VERY outspoken folks here think differently...but sometimes it is difficult to see outside the box. The polls here are heavily biased as a support forum is NOT a good smaple, yet the polls STILL reflected than 90% of us could care less... If you conducted an ACTUAL poll which Dish has done countless times via watch statistics...the would see that 99% of viewers don't watch Voom.

It is a sound financial decision for Dish to cut Voom and add some valuable programming that mainstream viewers will watch. If Voom lovers are waiting on some kind of miracle Voom comeback..they are going to be very disappointed. This is not like asking your teacher if you can get off the curb...this is a done deal.

I agree, but Voom seemed to have a cult following that won't let it die with out a fight. I predict it will die once and for all , by the end of June when their contract ends with cablevison. When they stop showing any VOOm it will die for ever. VOOM is the past now.

Even though Voom might not have been compelling to some, there were about 5 Voom channels that we did watch and enjoy. The HD they offer no is not worth it to me for that extra 20 bucks a month. I have the everthing package, and still get the premiums HBO, SHOW, etc. in HD that they offer.

CNN, CNBC, and most of the other HD is just duplication crap, and it definitely wasn't worth it to me

First I'm talking HD.
Here is a small sample.
OK, starting with Halloween both versions.
Directors cut and non directors cut. Both with different color timing than the blue ray.
Yes, Monsters HD themselves worked with Trancas and other studios and production companies to convert the films.

From Beyond (directors cut). Monsters HD helped put together the new cut
The Friday the 13th movies.
Many Hammer horror films
Return of the Living Dead
Monsterama
Nightmare on Elm Street 4,6
Tombs of the Blind Dead
The Burning
Rawhead Rex (A dvd can cost you $80)
Honestly you can go on and on.
They also have them without interruption. After people complained, they only showed their channel bug once every 30 minutes.

I haven't even started with the many Kung Fu films. I haven't seen these on any other channel because I get every channel. (Well until yesterday)

Okay...Even if you don't think they're is a market for the B-type horror movies (which you're EXTREMELY wrong about), where else are you going to see the mainstream/classic horror movies in HD?

Friday the 13th 1-8
Halloween 1-6
All The Nightmare on Elm Streets
Stephen King movies like Pet Sematary, Cujo, Creepshow
Night of the Living Dead
The original Mummy, Dracula, Wolfman, The Ghoul
Hitchcock's like Psycho, The Birds, Frenzy

etc, etc, etc.

Do you seriously believe there is no market for that, really? Wow......:eek:
Not quite true, Im going to be picky here.
Halloween 2 and 6 are on HDnet 6 was the newest to be transfered to HD. That happened last October.
Nightmare 1 is on Max, but has a massive green push problem
Nightmare 3 is a bad upconvert on MonstersHD, it really shouldn't count.
Psycho, The Birds and Frenzy were all on HDnet.

Another really good one I forgot about is the Fog. It has a better transfer than the HD DVD import. Only on Monsters HD.

Last edited:
Not quite true, Im going to be picky here.
Halloween 2-6 are on HDnet 6 was the newest to be transfered to HD. That happened last October.
Nightmare 1 is on Max, but has a massive green push problem
Nightmare 3 is a bad upconvert on MonstersHD, it really shouldn't count.
Psycho, The Birds and Frenzy were all on HDnet.

Another really good one I forgot about is the Fog. It has a better transfer than the HD DVD import. Only on Monsters HD.

Halloween 2-6 has never been on HDnet. If you mean 2 and 6 you are very correct.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts