Aug 2, 2006
Same Issue

Hello, I too have same issue.

My equipment:

CoolSat 5000
DirecPC Dish (on the bubble)
LNBF @ 10.750

Dish settings:

El: 43 AZ:210 Skew of LNBF: 17.8 (5:00 O Clock) facing front of dish with the dish skew @ 0.

(I have also set LNBF @ 6 O Clock with dish skew @ 17.8)

My ZipCode is 25545

CoolSat Receiver installation (Dish setting):

Satellite: 97 OW IA - 5
LNB Power: ON
LNB type: Single (I also tried Universal)
LNB Freq: 9.750
22KHz: OFF
Diseqc Swithch: OFF

Level is showing 89% ( I normally was getting 90's with other LNB's)
Quality is showing never more than 0 to 7 with max of 10%

I use tweaker at dish and really don't hear any difference from one end of the belt to the other.

Oh, I noticed on my other dishes (no longer used) that none of them are set above 40 for elevation, they are pointing in the same vicinity.

I hope this is enough information, please advise to what I might be doing wrong.

Just want to watch FTA and current events as they occur.

Many thanks for your time.

broke off to new thread

Chief3 said:
Hello, I too have same issue.

My equipment:

CoolSat 5000
DirecPC Dish (on the bubble)
LNBF @ 10.750

Dish settings:

El: 43 AZ:210 Skew of LNBF: 17.8 (5:00 O Clock) facing front of dish with the dish skew @ 0.

(I have also set LNBF @ 6 O Clock with dish skew @ 17.8)

My ZipCode is 25545

CoolSat Receiver installation (Dish setting):

Satellite: 97 OW IA - 5
LNB Power: ON
LNB type: Single (I also tried Universal)
LNB Freq: 9.750
22KHz: OFF
Diseqc Swithch: OFF
need to change LNB Freq to 10750 (to match the LNB)

Oh, I noticed on my other dishes (no longer used) that none of them are set above 40 for elevation, they are pointing in the same vicinity.

I hope this is enough information, please advise to what I might be doing wrong.

Just want to watch FTA and current events as they occur.

Many thanks for your time.
for your area, its 41 elevation for the dish and around 212 for the azimuth (compass reading). Skew is +20 so that is right. The LNB Freq being wrong is the issue

Thanks Iceberg.

I changed the freq to 10.750 with same results. I got to looking at the new LNBF from Fleabay, and now not sure it is correct. Following is what they represent and please advise accordingly.

This is not an advertisement therefore I have not included their personal data, just the LNBF's data as advertised. Having said this, hope I do not get banned for copy/paste this info.

--------------------Copy/Paste--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* It compatibles with all FTA receivers
* It works with Telstar5 - 97, AMC4 - 101, Echostar9 - 121 and many other linear polarity satellites
* Great for the international satellite channels
* With this LNB, very easy to attach 2 LNB's together side-by-side to catch AMC-4 and Telstar5 satellite signals on the same dish w/o mounting bracket, just use super glue and cable ties

Model: ZKF-F21N

Dual Pol. Single Output LNB

Input Frequency Range: 11.7 GHz ~ 12.2 GHz
Output Frequency Range: 950 MHz ~ 1450 MHz

Noise Figure: 0.5dB
L.O. Frequency: 10.75 GHz

* Suitable for existing analog and digital reception
* Low phase noise for not only analog also digital reception
* Superior low noise figure and high isolation
* Excellent D.R.O. stability
* Low harmonic distortion
* Super compact tooling
* Best solution for individual and multi-satellite systems
* Waterproof guaranteed
* Meet ETSI standard (CE certified)

Installation:

Under antenna setup, please change the lnb setting to Standard or Single or set Freq @ 10750.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is all I know and was concerned about the input frequency ranging 11.7 to 12.2 GHz. Now, if this LNBF is good to go I must have another problem.

Iceberg, Coolsat level went to 97% after changing to 10.750:confused:

10.750 is what it needs to be

Once you enter that, save it (exit to main menu) and go to manual scan and select the following

12152 freq
H polarity
I dont have the symbol rate handy but its like 20000 or 23000

then try and aim the dish

Again, thanks Iceberg.

Manual Scan on Coolsat 5000 to reveal:

Sat: 97.0W IA-5
Freq: (18) 12.152 GHz
Symbol Rate: 20.000 MS/s
Polarization: H
Search Type: All Channel
Network Search: Off

Level: 97%
Quality: 5-7%

Bumped allignment slowly for best tweak and upon reviewing screen basically no change. The 97% actually remains even without LNB attached. (FYI)

I won't quit, it must be something simple. Just too hot right now.

if you think you are close, do a blind scan (power scan, smart scan). Scann "all" and tell us whats on the channel list (even if scrambled). Then we know approx where you are in the sky :)

Okay, glad that you are still there.

I just performed a blind scan on AMC 4 and Galaxy 4R. Watched some tv. Marked pole for future reference related to those birds

BUT, just having slightly bumped it a little more looking for T-5, I got nothing. A big NO GO.

Wife says give a rest and it will work better when I have rested. Sounds good to me.

At least I know now that the LNBF works. Issue is most likely something stupid on my part. Hey, it is a hobby. Right.

FYI:

I noticed moving from AMC 4 to Galaxy 4R I had to adjust Elevation up . Does this mean my skew is off?

I won't quit and will keep you informed to my progress.

Oh! I did notice that the dish is almost poiting where I think the Canadian birds fly. Seems too far to the South, but what do I know.

I'll figure it out.

Iceberg, thank you for your dedication to the hobby, and patience with us Newbies.:D

Chief3 said:
Okay, glad that you are still there.

I just performed a blind scan on AMC 4 and Galaxy 4R. Watched some tv. Marked pole for future reference related to those birds
well if you are on G4 IA5 is right next door to it. So you are close

At least I know now that the LNBF works. Issue is most likely something stupid on my part. Hey, it is a hobby. Right.
thats what makes this fun :)

FYI:

I noticed moving from AMC 4 to Galaxy 4R I had to adjust Elevation up . Does this mean my skew is off?
no. The satellites go in an arc and you are east (locatioin wise) of IA5. So as you come east with the satellite, you have to raise the dish a little bit. You're very close if you can get G4 and AMC4. I'd raise the dish just a "smidge" and move it a little bit east (maybe 1/16" from the marking on the mast)

Oh! I did notice that the dish is almost poiting where I think the Canadian birds fly. Seems too far to the South, but what do I know.

I'll figure it out.
your azimuth is 212 for IA5. 180 is dead south so its a little off SW

Iceberg, thank you for your dedication to the hobby, and patience with us Newbies.:D

always glad to help :)

One thing to keep in mind with FTA is when you adjust the dish "a little bit" you have actually adjusted it "A WHOLE LOT" =)
seriously though, when adjusting, the tiniest movement can make a differance between TV and NO TV. Take the distance you have been moving the dish and cut it in half, then half again, then half...well you get the idea.
Hang in there...become the dish....

IA5 is a great satellite to aim for. Looking at Lyngsat, and my FTA box, go for 11867 V 22000. Thats a very active TP and has lots of FTA stuff on it. Once you have that setup, go to your scan menu and watch the signal strength and quality bars...and move it a SLIGHT amount till you get it. Basically what everyone else has told you, but I wanted to wish you luck.

Remember, this is the fun part of FTA. When you watch tv, you'll know you put work into it, and you'll be happy about it.

Well hello folks. Thanks for the responses.

Here is what I have other than loosing 5 pounds running between dish and house, Tweaker wants to give all or nothing threashold. I marked the two birds on the pole for future references and now back to what I think is G4. I am leaving skew alone for other birds and the only thing I think should be adjusted are EL and AZ. Right?

Here is what is shown on this bird:

KUIL TV
TV English
TV Latino
Esperanza TV
Hope Channel
ATN
ATN
TV 1`12 (weak)
CNN Airport @ 63% (Scrambled)
MSNBC @ 63% (Scrambled)
CNBC @ 63% " "
ESPN1 and so forth:rolleyes:

KUIL would be AMC-4. You are real close! just a nudge - try 1/8" and I mean just a little nudge! It won't feel like you are even moving the dish.

Instead of running back and forth between the dish and the house, I found that it's best to have a small tv with you at the dish site. I lugged a small 13" tv up to the roof when I set up my system. It makes it sooo much easier to see if you've made progress. Good Luck!!!

Chief3 said:

Here is what I have other than loosing 5 pounds running between dish and house, :rolleyes:

Chief3 said:

Here is what I have other than loosing 5 pounds running between dish and house, Tweaker wants to give all or nothing threashold. I marked the two birds on the pole for future references and now back to what I think is G4. I am leaving skew alone for other birds and the only thing I think should be adjusted are EL and AZ. Right?

Here is what is shown on this bird:

KUIL TV
TV English
TV Latino
Esperanza TV
Hope Channel
ATN
ATN
TV 1`12 (weak)
CNN Airport @ 63% (Scrambled)
MSNBC @ 63% (Scrambled)
CNBC @ 63% " "
ESPN1 and so forth:rolleyes:

you're on G4 and getting a little bleed over from AMC4. Move the dish east 1/16-1/8" and you should be on IA5

Latest update: Sunburn and the following is what is on TV:

TV English
TV Latino
KUIL Fox 64
TAN TV 1 (scrambled)
" " 2 ""
" " 3 ""
" " 4 (open)
Esperanza TV
Hope
ATN
""
Court TV (scrambled)
Starz ""
National Geog ("")
Fox news ("")
Weather Channel ("")
CNBC ("")
ATP ?? (open)
3ABN ("")

Earlier I found a bird that had nothing but DishTV (scrambled) and had no idea how I got it, east of above location. Don't want it anyway.

Using the above location I bumped the dish ever-so-slightly and afraid that I am getting toooooo close to a tree line if I go much further to the East.

Thanks to all that responded. Raining now and I will pick it up again.:hungry:

Your getting there ... Now you are only receiving AMC4 signals. Bump the dish a bit further east for IA5. You are located East of of IA5 so bump the dish elevation up.

Hanover, AR 72560
Latitude 35° 51.948'N Longitude 92° 6.888'W

Sat Name / Magnetic Compass Reading / Dish Elevation / LNBF Rotation (+ = CCW / - = Clockwise
-------------------------------------------------------------
AMC 4 / 193.5 / 47.3 / +12.1

IA-5 / 186.9 / 48.0 / +6.7

Last edited:
Chief, I went through exactly this same thing earlier today (I just got setup today). I just kept trying and left all the gory details out of my post that I have arrived in FTA land. Good luck, you'll get it. If I can do it you can too! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Far away satellites

SMART 0.1 DB Universal LNB

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts