Having more than one antenna?

Well Ben it's a little more complicated than that. While stacking UHF antennas for more gain is possible you must be careful how you do it. You are basicly creating an antenna array and if you don't maintain the correct antenna/element spacing the two antennas can add out-of-phase and make reception worse. Even when you are careful about proper antenna spacing it's becomes increasingly difficult to maintain proper phasing over the entire UHF spectrum with increasing array size.

This is also true of having more than one antenna on the same pole, even if they are pointing in different directions they are still going to interact with each other, usually in a negative way.

As far as using a splitter as a combiner as already stated, there is no free lunch. There will be a net negative effect regardless of how careful you are. For example, when you connect one antenna directly to your digital box (or DTV) and say you get a decent signal quality, you will almost certainly realize a loss when you connect anything else up. This loss may or may not be enough to effect your television viewing. A lot of it depends on location.......location of you relative to the TV transmitter, the location of your antennas in relation to each other and many other factors such as signals bouncing off of or being blocked by buildings etc. as well as many other things.
With antenna systems, especially with all the changes we're seeing at the present time there will be a lot of trial and error required to figure out what is sufficient. For me, I'm thinking the only logical way to go is to have an outdoor antenna on a rotor. The main reason being is the distance from me to the transmitters and the fact that they are in many different directions. It used to be in this area there were a handful of known OTA channels and the method to receive them was pretty much the same, one UHF antenna for the major networks which all transmitted from the same area so one ant. did them all and one VHF antenna for one other local broadcaster. The only variable was your distance from the transmitter. The farther you were from the tower, the better the antenna. If you had the best antenna you could find then you added an amplifier. Failing that you were S.O.L. and satellite was the only fix.
Now things are different and some trial and error is definitely in order.

Come to think of it, I have a book on antenna design which covers many of the ideas presented here. It also came with a CD with a program to help design DIY antenna systems.
I think for the most part, commercially available antennas give you the most bang for your buck and have likely been aligned properly. I'll see if I can find the book and see what it says on this topic.

Going reverse through a splitter (assuming the antennas are properly phased) will GAIN you 3dB, not lose them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)