Having problems reading ASC1 Positioner

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

billyboy_1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Southeast Missouri
Hey friends I am not having any luck trying to read my ASC1 Positioner. It has 20140903.01 F/W and I am using loader/editor v1.8. The tabs all just grey out when I ask it to read from device and it does not read. The com port is correct and I do have to reset the unit after trying to read it. Any help would be great. Thanks

Are you using an actual serial port built into the computer or add in card or are you using a USB to RS232 adapter?
What cable are you using to connect the computer(or adapter) to the ASC1? Straight or Null Modem?
Does the serial port work with other devices okay?

Are you using an actual serial port built into the computer or add in card or are you using a USB to RS232 adapter?
What cable are you using to connect the computer(or adapter) to the ASC1? Straight or Null Modem?
Does the serial port work with other devices okay?
I'm using the serial to USB adapter cable that came with it. It has worked before on this same computer. The port does show good in devices and printers. I have a laptop that has the serial port I can try.

Plugging the adapter cable in a different USB port on the computer may have installed another virtual serial port. You might try looking for another active port in the dropdown list in the loader program.

Yes, I would give that a try first. The adapters can be so picky. Pull your hair out get one working, then windows gets an update and BAM they stop working. :(

Great advice from KE4EST and Magic Static!

Loader / Editor version 1.8 works best using the driver on the cd that shipped with the unit. If the above suggestions aren't successful, go into the device manager and remove the unit's current driver. Reboot the PC and reinstall the driver from the cd.

Reactions: KE4EST
Great advice from KE4EST and Magic Static!

Loader / Editor version 1.8 works best using the driver on the cd that shipped with the unit. If the above suggestions aren't successful, go into the device manager and remove the unit's current driver. Reboot the PC and reinstall the driver from the cd.
Well having the very same issues on another computer that has a serial port. I can't seem to locate the driver CD. Is there another way to obtain that driver?

Are you using the RS-232 Null type cable that was shipped with the ASC1 or another RS-232?

The suggested Prolific driver would only affect the usage of the USB/Serial Converter that we ship with the ASC1. If it is not connecting on a computer with a serial RS232 port, it is likely because of an incorrect cable type or damaged cable/connector. The RS-232 cable type is null modem, not straight. Also, make sure that that the port is at default settings (9600, etc.)

If you need the Prolific driver, I could zip and email on Monday. Maybe another member could email before then.

You beat me to it Brian. :)
...but yeah the driver has nothing to do with a computer with a true serial RS-232 port.

If you need the Prolific driver for ASC1 USB to Serial, drop me a PM.

I am using the serial cable that was shipped with the unit. I had no problems before so that's why I am confused as to why it won't read now. The unit requires me to power cycle it after I attempt to read it just like it did when I could read it.

When trying to write new file to unit it states "error in receiving data restart box and pc software.
It is saying this on both computers?
Do you by any chance have another null cable to try?

Sounds like a com error, possibly a bad cable, connector, corrupted loader software or satellite list.

Using a blue or a black color USB/Serial Converter? Blue color converter uses the provided Serial RS-232 null cable. The Black color converter is a direct connect null without using the separate Rs-232 null cable.

Is Editor / Loader version 1.8 in a folder without any other legacy library .dll files? If so, delete and reinstall.

Try deleting the current 1.8 software and unzip a new file. Install in a new folder with no other files.

Uninstall the Prolific USB/Serial converter device and driver, remove USB/Serial Converter. Reboot the computer and insert the USB/Serial converter. Install the device and driver from the cd (KE4EST or I will provide).

Sounds like you may have a recent Satellite List? If so, drive the actuator to 0000 position and perform a Global Reset, then power cycle the ASC1. Read the saved Satellite List to Editor/Loader 1.8, then write to the ASC1. Power cycle the ASC1 and it will drive to satellite position #1. Attempt to read the Satellite List from the ASC1 to Editor/Loader 1.8. Let me know if it is successful.

Sounds like a com error, possibly a bad cable, connector, corrupted loader software or satellite list.

Using a blue or a black color USB/Serial Converter? Blue color converter uses the provided Serial RS-232 null cable. The Black color converter is a direct connect null without using the separate Rs-232 null cable.

Is Editor / Loader version 1.8 in a folder without any other legacy library .dll files? If so, delete and reinstall.

Try deleting the current 1.8 software and unzip a new file. Install in a new folder with no other files.

Uninstall the Prolific USB/Serial converter device and driver, remove USB/Serial Converter. Reboot the computer and insert the USB/Serial converter. Install the device and driver from the cd (KE4EST or I will provide).

Sounds like you may have a recent Satellite List? If so, drive the actuator to 0000 position and perform a Global Reset, then power cycle the ASC1. Read the saved Satellite List to Editor/Loader 1.8, then write to the ASC1. Power cycle the ASC1 and it will drive to satellite position #1. Attempt to read the Satellite List from the ASC1 to Editor/Loader 1.8. Let me know if it is successful.
Using a Dtech blue cable/converter. Loader/editor is a fresh install on one of the two computers I am using. Did a fresh install of driver provided. I am afraid if I do a reset and still can't read/write to the unit I will have to manually re-program it I then won't have sat names. So far no luck on either computer.

Yep this is why I get a real add-in card for every computer I have if there is not one built onto the Mainboard.
There are some good converters out there and it don't have to be this complicated....but most of them are junk.

Reactions: Titanium
I have noticed lots of Prolific clone chips which are just a nightmare.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)