Having problems with Sirius Sportster receiver

Smiley79

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 3, 2004
Evansville, IN
After buying the Sportster a little over a month ago, I had to return the uint within a week (defective LEDs on 2 buttons). After getting the second unit, I was noticing every so often after I start it up, I'd get a "Antenna not detected" message. But after sitting for a couple of minutes, reception would kick in (so I let it slide). As of lately, it would take longer and longer for the reception to come in until a couple of days ago when it wouldn't come in by itself at all. I eventually found out that if you flex on the unit in the right way, you will get the reception back, but it wouldn't stay once you let go.

So after reading a few different message boards, I decided to get the unit tested (being it's after the 30 days, and I can't exchange it at Circuit City anymore). When testing it at CC, the unit worked perfectly (much to my dismay), so I was told it had to be my home docking unit. So I decided to buy another cradle (under the impression that I'd return the original one with the new receipt and have 2 good home units). The only problem is that the new one works exactly the same as the old one (Antenna not detected). Now either the guy at CC has magic hands when hooking up this receiver or I'm missing something here. Anyone have any advice as to where I can go from here?

Are you positive your antenna placement isn't the cause? Take the whole setup out to the middle of your backyard or driveway and give it a go. If it still happens, get another and return the first with the new rec't.

rambler said:
Are you positive your antenna placement isn't the cause? Take the whole setup out to the middle of your backyard or driveway and give it a go. If it still happens, get another and return the first with the new rec't.

Nice thought. Took the kit outside, set the antenna in three different spots (none obstructed by trees or buildings), tried turning the antenna different directions, and it didn't help it at all. Although if I push on the receiver hard enough, I can get full signal (normally couldn't get that strength before).

It's a "memory leak." I had the same problem with my Sportster. Got the "antenna not detected" message first in the car, but it worked fine at home. Then it stopped working at home. Sirius tech support instantly knew what the problem was, but insisted it wasn't common and I believe them. It was probably a defective batch of radios (sounds like you got yours around the same time I got mine, so ....)

Anyway, I got the unit replaced (it's got a one-year warranty, so if CC won't exchange, Sirius will) and it works just fine now.

revox said:
It's a "memory leak." I had the same problem with my Sportster. Got the "antenna not detected" message first in the car, but it worked fine at home. Then it stopped working at home. Sirius tech support instantly knew what the problem was, but insisted it wasn't common and I believe them. It was probably a defective batch of radios (sounds like you got yours around the same time I got mine, so ....)

Anyway, I got the unit replaced (it's got a one-year warranty, so if CC won't exchange, Sirius will) and it works just fine now.

That's what I've been reading on other boards. When I called Sirius yesterday, they told me to get it tested. Even though it tested fine at CC, I'm still going to say it's defective and get another one.

I had a Sirius Sportster in my car and home and after about 1 month of having it, it would turn on and freeze at the nfl or football team logo. So I called Sirius and told them that when I turned it on it would freeze. Sirius told me to check to see if the sirius ID would show by pressing the MENU button when it froze and I wnt to the ID and it was missing. The ID should always be there. I also checked the signal strength and it was gone but the antenna was detected. So they said its a defective unit and they'll send me a new one for no cost. After about 6 weeks I got it and was thinking if there was a way to fix this old one then I would have 2 but I have no idea who to go to or what to do about it. Maybe somebody out there can help me. If you can email me at motoxrider295 at aol about any advice on what to do that would be great.

I was getting the same "antenna not detected" message and discovered that it was the antenna cable connector. If you only plug it in half way it will work fine but if you plug it in all the way you will get the antenna not detected message. I had this problem with 3 different docking units (2 for the car and one for my home). Now I only plug both home and car antenna cables in half way and have no problems.

One other issue; on both the car and home docking module, there is a switch on the back of the docking station that locks the receiver in the cradle. Because the cradle is plastic, it does change shape with changes in temp, especially the car docking unit. I have found that whenever I have an antenna not detected or signal not detected error, I can fix it by locking in the receiver to the cradle and turning it off then back on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts