Hawaii Five-O: Season 1

I was talking about Wo Fat (Kiegh Dengh ?).

I think I created the confusion by misreading your reply and I apologize. Keigh Deigh wasa grood actor. Interestingly enough he was not even Chinese. His real name was Kenneth Dickerson and he was a mix of Asian and North African ancestry.

Butt his is going to turn into a walk down memory lane about Hawaii Five ) (TOS)

The very same years I went to school, from grade school to senior year of high school: 1968-1980.
I graduated in '81...so perhaps my memories are a bit clouded after buying a '67 Chevelle SS 396 in '79 and two Baracuda convertibles (383 and 440) in '80. Oh, and driving across the border to pick-up mondo cases of Molson Brador, doing power hits of sinsemilla and chasing tail may have something to do with it. :p

I finally got to watch the premier episode of Hawaii 5-0 and was thoroughly unimpressed. I counted no less than 10 situations taken from the "100 most over used cop show clichés" book of screen writing. The person I was watching this with was about to shoot me as I would recite lines from the show or mention how a situation would play out seconds before they would happen on the show.

The show started with the absolute most used and most disturbing and my personal least favorite motivator for the main character. The character McGarrett was brooding and angry and two dimensional. He was in the original series as well so I kind of accepted that. And then you have the obligatory divorced dad with the small child who in an upcoming episode will be put in harms way. I haven't seen any episode spoilers, I just know. It's #11 in the "100 most over used cop show clichés".

Then there was the ending where the bad guy gets his due... or does he? Tan-tan-tum!!!
We never saw the body resurface or recovered, so I predict that #34 in the "100 most over used cop show clichés" will be used sometime later and this ubber-evil baddie comes back from the dead.

Overall This show was innocuous. I tried to keep in mind that the original series had every cliché in the book as well. The original series along with such "classics" as Cannon, Barnaby (Geritol) Jones, Streets of San Francisco and Baretta were responsible for me being completely turned off the police drama until CSI hit the air. Holding this series to the reality, not the memory, of the old series is the only fair comparison. And IMHO it deserves another viewing or two.

I finally got to watch the premier episode of Hawaii 5-0 and was thoroughly unimpressed. I counted no less than 10 situations taken from the "100 most over used cop show clichés" book of screen writing. The person I was watching this with was about to shoot me as I would recite lines from the show or mention how a situation would play out seconds before they would happen on the show.

The show started with the absolute most used and most disturbing and my personal least favorite motivator for the main character. The character McGarrett was brooding and angry and two dimensional. He was in the original series as well so I kind of accepted that. And then you have the obligatory divorced dad with the small child who in an upcoming episode will be put in harms way. I haven't seen any episode spoilers, I just know. It's #11 in the "100 most over used cop show clichés".

Then there was the ending where the bad guy gets his due... or does he? Tan-tan-tum!!!
We never saw the body resurface or recovered, so I predict that #34 in the "100 most over used cop show clichés" will be used sometime later and this ubber-evil baddie comes back from the dead.

Overall This show was innocuous. I tried to keep in mind that the original series had every cliché in the book as well. The original series along with such "classics" as Cannon, Barnaby (Geritol) Jones, Streets of San Francisco and Baretta were responsible for me being completely turned off the police drama until CSI hit the air. Holding this series to the reality, not the memory, of the old series is the only fair comparison. And IMHO it deserves another viewing or two.
I stopped watching after 10-minutes last night and hit the rack. I thought it was because I was tired, but I am not taking a shine to the characters, plot, dialog, etc. It's not terrible...but I keep thinking that I have more important things to do with 40-minutes of my time.

This one is not your father's Hawaii Five O. Much more light hearted. It is in some ways an homage to the original (the Dann-o jokes, the opening of the first episode etc. ) but in other ways it goes off in its own direction.

I still have the timer set and likely will for awhile. It is certainly a break form the procedurals (L&O, CSI, NCIS etc. ) and i think that is a good thing. Let's see where it leads.

This one is not your father's Hawaii Five O. Much more light hearted. It is in some ways an homage to the original (the Dann-o jokes, the opening of the first episode etc. ) but in other ways it goes off in its own direction.

I still have the timer set and likely will for awhile. It is certainly a break form the procedurals (L&O, CSI, NCIS etc. ) and i think that is a good thing. Let's see where it leads.
Same thoughts here...

I was a huge fan of the original series. Very disappointed in this new version. Gave it two showings. Two too many, I think the writers should have tried to stay a little closer to the original. Dano acts like a smart a$$ on this new version, instead of a subordinate of McGarrett. Just my thoughts. To each his own, I guess.

The 2 big things this show has is the theme song and the name recognition. Otherwise it could be just about any other cop show.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts