HBO/Cinemax and Non W5 services To Be Deauthorized December 29th

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just received this:

It's time for us to complain directly to the source.

Go here: Contact : Discovery Communications
Under "Question Regarding" select "Corporate Information" then click to go to the next page and then under "Select Type Of Information Needed" select "C-band Satellite/4DTV" then type your complaint.

Ya, I find it interesting that they have that selection available.

Thanks, I took your advice and sent them a letter telling them how I've been subbing since the 1980's. Told them I will miss their programming even though its in a format we can recieve under Comcast HITS, AND will be contacting my gov't reps regarding this denial of service.

and Showtime? and The Movie Channel?
All I heard was Viacom was being jerks maybe dirty pool from Charlie that never got out. Think about how that EVIL bastard works. Is there a pattern?
At least Starz/Encore is cool. They're also the cheapest and the most channels for the money on any provider.

Notice the masters are staying beyond the 29th, great company.

One has to realize that the programmers had no intentions, in the early days of c-band, for us to receive their channels. When lots of folks shelled out money to get their ITC channels, they encrypted them. This caused a minor backlash (Think Captain Midnight) There were over 1,000,000 subs in early 1990's, the programmers were happy to take our money, even though they still hated us.

The programmers such as HBO, Viacom, Disney, and DIscovery have never wanted to sell ONE channel to us, thats why they love pizza dish and cable companies, with their packages. They get tall dollars for junk channels and help cover costs of their premium channels. Its all about the money folks, always has been.

By all means, if you can get what you want on W5, subscribe. These folks have been around as long as us and still willing to take money for programming on your owned equipment. No contracts, no hidden charges.

In our house, it is a matter of losing too much at once. We "need" TLC, Food Network, and now Discovery that are unavailable via c-band, hence we subscribed to DirecTV, got all channels back, two receivers, dvr (my new favorite toy) 3 months of Starz/Encore and Shotime all for $40/mo for 10 months.(you can email me for info if you want my opinions on Direct picture quality) Direct comes with a dreaded 2 year contract, but in hindsight I paid NPS around $60/mo for programming this time last year.

I am sorry c-band but the devil (charlie) made me do it. I plan to keep the BUD for a long time, and my antiquated 4dtv. I may sub to MTV mini pack after new year for kids room.

It's been a great ride, hasn't it! BUT-All great rides must end- Good Luck to all of you and never forget Charlie Ergan/Dish Network is the cause of this.

Discovery Contacts

"Be Nice Not Nasty"

Deborah A. Myers
Executive Vice President
Washington, District of Columbia
debbie_myers@discovery.com
HQ Phone: (240) 662-2000

Mr. Bruce L. Campbell
President, Digital Media and Corporate Development
New York, New York
(212) 548-5848
bruce_campbell@discovery.com
Discovery Education Inc
Headquarters: One Discovery Place 5Th Floor
Silver Spring, Maryland 20910

Mr. Peter Liguori
Chief Operating Officer
Discovery Education Inc

Marina Anglim
Senior Vice President, Media Planning and Partnerships
Baltimore, Maryland
marina_anglim@discovery.com
Discovery Education Inc

Michelle Nowell
Operations Coordinator
Maryland
(240) 662-4297
michelle_nowell@discovery.com
Discovery Education Inc

Tammy Shea
Vice President, Corporate Communications
Maryland
(240) 662-6509
tammy_shea@discovery.com
Discovery Education Inc

Bill Goodwyn
Chief Executive Officer
bill_goodwyn@discovery.com
Discovery Education Inc

Sent polite note to Discovery's networks outlining the attractiveness of Discovery's packages to those of us on C-band, stating I hope the absence is temporary. They have been an attractive part of SRL's packages on 4D, and...on DS-410! Similar note to HBO.

I submitted a note at Discovery corporate (under 4dtv) .. I was nice as well !

If thats really the problem that the main discovery is not being transmitted. then use altv's former slot (now color bars). I'm sure someone must have thought of this?

As far as Hbo, Cinemax and Showtime also now Discovery, I think all of these combined will turn a lot of People off to w5 /x4's future

I hope you guys can persuade Discovery to work with us. But from what I know they want the basic Discovery Channels sold also. Right now that is impossible due to technical limitations. One of two things must happen (I got a big mouth but you need to be informed) HITS need to reuplink those basic channels on W5 for us or if the multi satellite tests work next year we may be getting the masters back. Time will tell, Good luck with e-mailing Discovery keep them nice.

HITS need to reuplink those basic channels on W5 for us or if the multi satellite tests work next year we may be getting the masters back. Time will tell, Good luck with e-mailing Discovery keep them nice.

[FONT=&quot]I hope in a year we can all look back and see how important patience is.[/FONT]

I also sent a friendly request to Discovery. Like tvropro said if we stay civil about this we will have a better chance at getting something done.

If any one has a sub to discovery family of channels Thur direct or dish.

I wonder if we can could use w5 for passthur?

[FONT=&quot]I hope in a year we can all look back and see how important patience is.[/FONT]

Lets look at history. 6 months ago (when I ordered Direct) I was told by everyone thats it 12/31 toss your 4DTV including SRL & Skyvision. Now look we are marching on, a no brick fix too. I'm the fool that jumped the gun and got Direct now I wish I didn't. I'm not looking forward to major price increases when my 1st year is up and honestly 90% of Direct is crap repeats, garbage and infomercials.

I see people here getting bent and not looking at the whole picture, I didn't either. I just wanted to watch tv. Now I can't wait to see the 4D move even farther ahead and tell Direct Bye Bye on my 2 year anniversary date. If I was patent I probably would not be locked into a stupid contract now that I honestly hate.

Thats my take on this.

If any one has a sub to discovery family of channels Thur direct or dish.

I wonder if we can could use w5 for passthur?

I doubt that. I have them and if anyone wants to take them out of my Direct box you can. In fact take it all including my contract :eek: :D

I only used the corporate form, it was before the contacts were posted. (in fact at almost the same time.) How is everyone doing this? By a carbon copied note to each of the individual addresses, or custom writing them? Just curious. Better if we don't sound "form letter-ish"...but I think a cc to each of the addresses given would be appropriate. Will re-send to them specifically after watching this thread! Way to go, folks! Keeping it positive and polite may just work!

Of course. Because Charlie is behind EVERYTHING. I understand he's also to blame for the extinction of the dinosaurs and the eventual heat death of the universe. Look, as much fun as it is to have a bogyman to blame things on, I doubt Charlie or the CEOs of DirecTV or Comcast care enough about a few thousand CBand subscribers to formulate some nefarious backroom deals to cut off channels from CBand.

Exactly, and Comcast has nothing to do with trying to get rid of Net nutrality which would help them push people to their over priced online service inplace of things such as Netflix!
Terry

This situation does not look good. Possibly the whole deal is falling apart. Motorola appears disingenuous. There is possible action due to restraint of trade on various parties involved. This would be criminal investigation.
Acronyms to contact:
FBI
DA
Anyone in Congress or U.S. Bureaucracy that deals with commerce and trade issues.

Legal consult will be needed.

Imagine any of these entities getting 10,000 complaints against the communications / broadcasting entities for the same actions?

Of course. Because Charlie is behind EVERYTHING. I understand he's also to blame for the extinction of the dinosaurs and the eventual heat death of the universe. Look, as much fun as it is to have a bogyman to blame things on, I doubt Charlie or the CEOs of DirecTV or Comcast care enough about a few thousand CBand subscribers to formulate some nefarious backroom deals to cut off channels from CBand.
Actually word I am hearing is Comcast and DIRECTV had more to do with it then anyone else.

Charlie has a lot to be blamed for but this is not his fault. If blame is to be laid the true failure of C Band and 4DTV should be blamed on General Instruments who killed 4DTV at birth. I got to be honest 4DTV lasted a lot longer then I ever imagined it would.

The delay getting the product out the door origionaly.

The problems with the maps even out of the gate.

Failure to update the product or introduce new products as technology changed.

Poor overall support by GI all around.

Actually word I am hearing is Comcast and DIRECTV had more to do with it then anyone else.

I guess with all the praise Directv's been getting from the 4DTV guys.:eek: They must have figured they could steal a few.:D
Seriously, these companies are pathetic. Time for the feds to bust up the exclusive contracts, forced packaging by programmers, free equipment but at a higher sub cost, you scratch my back i'll scratch yours, ect.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)