HBO/Cinemax and Non W5 services To Be Deauthorized December 29th

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It Works!!!!!

Lets kill them with kindness!!!

Got back to my desk and had a voice-mail from discovery.

Returned call but got voice mail left msg.

The bigger culprit here though appears to have been Comcast, which is not a surprise considering they are running their own HITS service. Now if small cable ops want those channels they may have to get them from hits.

I just got a call back from nate at discovery comm.

And its not looking good.

He said they can't bend the rules we have to have the core channels.

He said they are meeting later this week and will call back with the final word.

However he did say that he did not think things would change.

BOO!!

I just got a call back from nate at discovery comm.

And its not looking good.

He said they are meeting later this week and will call back with the final word.

However he did say that he did not think things would change.

BOO!!

I have a netflix account... & Alot of the Discovery shows are on there for instant streaming .. But you guys think dish and direct have some digital artifacts!!!!!

Doesn't sound like they (Discovery) are ruling out the possibility of an eventual feed of the "main" channel, then correct? Only that without the core we don't get the mini package meaning in the immediate future.... (or am I reading this incorrectly?) Seems like our kind of subscription service is now back to its "infancy" in terms of potential and what people may want. I'm impressed that you got a call!

I think its time for a review by the justice department. Everything I read leads me to believe their is collusion among the the uplinkers and the pizza people that is not in the publics best interest.

With Comcast, trying to get DOJ approval for their merger NOW is the time to let Washington know something doesn't smell right.

Last edited:

So that means Discovery East, The Learning Channel, and Animal Planet all must be put on W5 before we can have the suite correct? There should be room, swap ALTV color bars for Discovery and squeeze in TLC and AP somewhere. Might cost less to just come up with a way to authorize the master's with HITS's auth system.

So that means Discovery East, The Learning Channel, and Animal Planet all must be put on W5 before we can have the suite correct?

Yes

However perhaps if comcast / hits could auth on other birds we would be in business.

The problems with the maps even out of the gate.

They planned for total control over the receivers so everyone would be dependent on them.. ie.. job security.
Then they found themselves in a conflict of interest situation when they first tried putting up the maps on the correct satellites. The first ones to balk and threaten GI / Motorola was PBS ! Then the concept of generic mappings came into play.

Failure to update the product or introduce new products as technology changed.

By the time their short-sightedness caught up to them they had already fired those who knew the most about the workings of the receiver and those who were left were only there collecting a paycheck.

Poor overall support by GI all around.

When Motorola took over from GI the word was the 4dtv had a 10 year life span and it would be finished. It (4DTV) lasted longer than they planned it would by just a couple of years.

If Star Choice / Shaw Direct had changed over to a DVB format the end of the 4d would have been much earlier, even though this was a separate department they rarely shared info to the other side.
So you may want to add : Lack of communication to your list of their failures as this was their biggest one.
They, (GI) had all the info at their headquarters as to every DCII signal up on satellite but the lack of communication prevented them from taking the steps to gather it all together and add it to these receivers.

I could go on but wanted to wait till after the 4th to see what they have in store for the bud users with the 4d receivers.

Seriously, these companies are pathetic. Time for the feds to bust up the exclusive contracts, forced packaging by programmers, free equipment but at a higher sub cost, you scratch my back i'll scratch yours, ect.....
Every time the feds have tried there has been serious lobbying to block it:

"People need ESPN. It must be included on the basic tier of any cable/satellite package. People not wanting / not watching ESPN is unthinkable."

"If you remove packages and move to a la carte, nobody will pay for the channels that nobody watches."

So that means Discovery East, The Learning Channel, and Animal Planet all must be put on W5 before we can have the suite correct? There should be room, swap ALTV color bars for Discovery and squeeze in TLC and AP somewhere. Might cost less to just come up with a way to authorize the master's with HITS's auth system.

There is more room on W5 then most know about but will Comcast want to double things for free? Going after the masters may be cheaper, I know the price but can't say. The best solution that can happen IMHO is to change the modulation on SES-1 but doubtful. I have been saying this right along. The Discovery issue may be able to get worked out but it will not happen overnight. Get used to waiting or get shafted like me and get in a 2 year contract with Direct. I'm still kicking myself lately for that mistake. Right now I can get out of my contract for a low price of $360.00 :eek: could have bought a Manhattan for that and have change left over for W5 subs.

There is more room on W5 then most know about but will Comcast want to double things for free? Going after the masters may be cheaper, I know the price but can't say. The best solution that can happen IMHO is to change the modulation on SES-1 but doubtful. I have been saying this right along. The Discovery issue may be able to get worked out but it will not happen overnight. Get used to waiting or get shafted like me and get in a 2 year contract with Direct. I'm still kicking myself lately for that mistake. Right now I can get out of my contract for a low price of $360.00 :eek: could have bought a Manhattan for that and have change left over for W5 subs.

I inquired about DirecTV today and it's $300 up front then $30 a month for choice xtra for 12 months then who knows how much a month for the ramaining 12. Probably $80.

I inquired about DirecTV today and it's $300 up front then $30 a month for choice xtra for 12 months then who knows how much a month for the ramaining 12. Probably $80.

What equipment you looking for? With Choice + you get a HD DVR and a HD receiver for free

If they want $300 up front you have credit problems. I payed nothing up front and started with choice for $24.99 a month. I now have Choice Xtra and pay $29.99 a month Plus $3.20 for Milwaukee's locals, thats $33.19 a month for all SD. The cost will go over $70.00 a month in 6 more months for me. Then I will downgrade to the unadvertised family package for $29.99 a month for the last 12 months and I'm done with contracts. In the last 12 mo 4DTV will have some good subbing from me. It will probably be about the time things fall into place.:)

The low price looks good in the beginning but the second year they hammer you. unless you downgrade. If you jump there is a bailout fee $20 for each month remaining. IMHO there come on rates are too high for the 90% garbage I see.

Choice Xtra with one NON-DVR HD Receiver.

Choice extra $34.99 first 12 months goes to $36.99 in Feb.
$10.00 HD access per month unless you do auto pay.
+taxes

Year 2 Choice Xtra $65.99 last 12 mo
$10.00 HD access per month unless you do auto pay.
+taxes

Direct technically works okay for the most part. I have a problem with the way they enslave you with the contract and screw you after the first 12 months. They want a slave for life. You have to keep on your toes too because they will offer you free Showtime etc for 3 months. If you don't cancel it they charge you. It don't run out like c band. If you pay your bill a day late, late fee is charged. You have to pay for either a protection plan or a new receiver that they lease to you if something goes wrong. Lots of hidden games.

Choice Xtra with one NON-DVR HD Receiver.

they gave you wrong info or your credit is horrible. When I go to directv site and select Choice Xtra (sorry I keep thinking its choice +) the receiver screen shows ALL receivers free as the 1st one (see pic)

The $30 a month is right with the $5 credit they have on top of the existing ones. HD fee is $10 unless you have auto pay then its free

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 141
If they want $300 up front you have credit problems. I payed nothing up front and started with choice for $24.99 a month. I now have Choice Xtra and pay $29.99 a month Plus $3.20 for Milwaukee's locals, thats $33.19 a month for all SD. The cost will go over $70.00 a month in 6 more months for me. Then I will downgrade to the unadvertised family package for $29.99 a month for the last 12 months and I'm done with contracts. In the last 12 mo 4DTV will have some good subbing from me. It will probably be about the time things fall into place.:)

The low price looks good in the beginning but the second year they hammer you. unless you downgrade. If you jump there is a bailout fee $20 for each month remaining. IMHO there come on rates are too high for the 90% garbage I see.

I don't really have any credit because I've never had the opportunity to establish any, will they take a 6 year letter of credit from my cell phone provider (which I did not have to pay anything up front BTW)? It's just not worth it for me for the price. I need a basic HD line up that includes TBS, USA, Spike, and all Discoveries for under $48/mo with no contract.

I have no credit to speak of & they required a $300.00 hold on my account. No credit means you're haywire. Plus to get what I wanted would have been more money than what I really want too spend. And if work slows down, I have no way of canceling services for a couple months. So basically, if I can't afford the 50 bucks one month, then they'll make me pay 300 bucks as a form of punishment.. So here I sit with 3 ota channels to pick from.

I have no credit to speak of & they required a $300.00 hold on my account. No credit means you're haywire. Plus to get what I wanted would have been more money than what I really want too spend. And if work slows down, I have no way of canceling services for a couple months. So basically, if I can't afford the 50 bucks one month, then they'll make me pay 300 bucks as a form of punishment.. So here I sit with 3 ota channels to pick from.

I really think the FCC needs to step in and force them to offer something reasonable without a contract to those of us that live outside the reach of cable. Even if it's special plans where you must prove you can't get cable or something.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts