HD 622 Resolution

bigpun334

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2007
On the menu there is a HD setup where you can output the tv, 720p, 1080i, etc. Do you guys have this set at 1080i and does this convert all of the broadcasts to 1080i? I want the tv to do all the upscaling and so would I just set this at the lowest setting?

Thanks for the help.

your results will vary as will the answers to this question, but until they give us straight pass-through the dish receiver will scale. I advise you to first try setting this to your TV's native resolution and see how you like it. Some folks actually get teh absolute best results by changing the receiver output resolution based on whether they are watching HD or SD.

Since this is a matter of what YOU perceive to be "best"... it's kinda up to you.

This depends upon what TV you own. Most TVs will convert any signal to their native display, except CRTs. So it may be that your TV does the conversion better than the Dish box. You can try feeding the TV the resolution it displays, and then try the other setting, and compare the two. Since you say you want your TV to do the upscaling, if the TV is 1080, you can leave the dish box at 720. Frankly, I'd leave it at 1080. BTW, there is no native pass thru of signals from the ViP series of boxes- yet. That seems to be what you (& we) really want.

DO NOT
set your box to 480 - you'll lose the HD.

I set my box to 480p if I want the tv to upscale the sd shows. I don't use it for HD at all. My toshiba does a much better job with sd than the 622 does.

Thanks for the respones. It sounds like I am a wishful thinker, hoping this functionality was already done. Well my tv is new so it is 1080p. I will just mess around with the output to see which resolution looks "best" to me.

And some have noted that subjectively, the component connections look better for SD programs than the HD. But again, that's most likely a function of the TV's processing power.

Here's a link to a good discussion from a podcast about native resolutions.

As quite a bit of the 1080i content is scaled to something other than 1920x1080, having pass-through would only apply to the true 1920x1080i and 720p channels. Everything else would have to be scaled for the television to handle it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)