HD, 8PSK?

I think he's talking about 'Free to Air' (FTA) satellite. You can still put up a large dish in your yard, point it to the satellites, and use (both analog and digital) a receiver to watch programming for free. There are sources on the web (lyngsat.com is one) that tell you what's on (not the show, but who is transmitting) a specific satellite. They include all the information you would need to watch a show (provided the signal isn't "scrambled"--- requiring a decoder key).

There are also web sites (do a search for "rick's wildfeeds") that will tell you how to watch the backhaul (from the event back to the network) of a sporting event. These feeds generally don't have commercials, and will generally be able to watch what happens during commercial breaks.

Of course, in addition to the dish, you would need at least one, if not multiple LNBs, plus a way to rotate the dish.

This might be a little OT but I've always wonder how those great big "screen-like" antennas I see in some yards get their signals from? Do they have to go through E* or D* too? I remember years back (about 30 or 35) when I lived in Chicago, my friend's Dad, who lived in Kentucky, had one, but I never knew if he had to pay a provider for the signal, or just purchase the receiver and programing was free. Also, I remember my friend telling me that when they watched certain programs like Johnny Carson & live sporting events, they seen what was going on while broadcast TV showed commercials...I never witness this myself, so I always wonder if this was true.
Can any "Old Pros" out there set me straight on this?
Ghpr13:)

you're talking about FTA and we have a dedicated section for it

Free To Air (FTA) Discussion - SatelliteGuys.US

whatchel1, digiblur, JimK2, Jim5506, sam_gordon, & Iceberg,
Thank you all for the many replies. Sad to say, with me being new to satellite I don't know what a "BUD" is, and I'm really not sure what I was asking about applies to FTA or satellite.
Like I said, there's a few houses I pass on the way to church that have these great, big (about 8' in diameter), black, see-through, dish-shaped antennas, and I just have always wonder what they were for and how do you use them...No one on my block has one or I would just walk over and ask them about it.
I did enjoy the info you all supplied me with, so thanks again.
Ghpr13:)

Info=Knowledge=Understanding=Better TV!

Like I said, there's a few houses I pass on the way to church that have these great, big (about 8' in diameter), black, see-through, dish-shaped antennas, and I just have always wonder what they were for and how do you use them...
They're BIG, they're UGLY, and they're a DISH. This defines the acronym, "BUD".

Don't believe the lies they try to spread here. The big dishes are for people to receive extra-terrestrial transmissions, sent by their alien puppetmasters. Contrary to popular belief "Alf" was not a sit-com, it was actually one of the first reality TV shows.

Don't believe the lies they try to spread here. The big dishes are for people to receive extra-terrestrial transmissions, sent by their alien puppetmasters. Contrary to popular belief "Alf" was not a sit-com, it was actually one of the first reality TV shows.

I knew it! That's exactly what I had told my wife about those large dishes! Thanks BuddyBoy! As soon as the sun rises here, I'm going up on the roof and cover it with aluminum foil!
Ghpr13:eek: