HD channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rich67

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
big rapids,mi
why cant we get American Heros channel in HD..? It is so little to ask for. when weve got all these shopping channels in HD. USELESS S--T

Reactions: edisonprime
why cant we get American Heros channel in HD..? It is so little to ask for. when weve got all these shopping channels in HD. USELESS S--T
It ain't that simple!....Those channels you are complaining about pay to be on their, so if American Heros wants to pay directv I'm sure they would have it on...IMO

It ain't that simple!....Those channels you are complaining about pay to be on their, so if American Heros wants to pay directv I'm sure they would have it on...IMO

This is not accurate.

Most programmers are paid by cable-television providers for carriage.

So, American Heroes Channel, which is part of Discovery Communications, is not paying AT&T to be on DirecTV; AT&T, which owns DirecTV, is paying Discovery Communications to carry American Heroes Channel.

In addition to American Heroes Channel, there are a lot of programmers with HD not on DirecTV. Sister programmers Discovery Family and Discovery Life are also available in HD. It would be good to see those two programmers, plus American Heroes Channel, made available to us to watch in HD.

This is not accurate.

Most programmers are paid by cable-television providers for carriage.

So, American Heroes Channel, which is part of Discovery Communications, is not paying AT&T to be on DirecTV; AT&T, which owns DirecTV, is paying Discovery Communications to carry American Heroes Channel.

In addition to American Heroes Channel, there are a lot of programmers with HD not on DirecTV. Sister programmers Discovery Family and Discovery Life are also available in HD. It would be good to see those two programmers, plus American Heroes Channel, made available to us to watch in HD.

Fwiw, there ARE some channels that actually have to pay D* (att) to be on the system, generally they are smaller channels.

It goes both ways, but more like you said above.

I was hoping that this wouldn't turn into ANOTHER I want this or that channel in HD thread ...

So far it hasn't. :amen

Same for having HD content via on demand for AHC but only SD on the channel.

Correct. The point is that its in HD on DIRECTV NOW, but not on DIRECTV Satellite. Ridiculous.
I hear you but, you cannot compare the 2....Directs need transponder space, that isn't a factor at all for a streaming service....I would "assume" That if Direct had all the room in their satellites everything that is offered, would be in HD.
Maybe contract problems, but can't be that big of a deal....

The thread was complaining about why the shopping channels are plenty and in HD, and why not his channel in HD....That's easy, Direct makes money off shopping channels. For channels with small viewership they don't believe its worth the transponder space to make it HD....

Fwiw, there ARE some channels that actually have to pay D* (att) to be on the system, generally they are smaller channels.

Perhaps there are a few channels which pay AT&T for carriage on DirecTV. I don’t know which ones. But, for the most part, programmers get paid so little or many cents, per subscriber, for carriage in a channel lineup by a satellite or cable company.

I was hoping that this wouldn't turn into ANOTHER I want this or that channel in HD thread ...

So far it hasn't. :amen

Here is this thread’s opening post:

I welcome getting into a discussion about programmers who are available in HD but are not yet carried in that format on DirecTV. We are paying subscribers, and people here discuss the satellite companies, so I take it it is a topic of interest.

I hear you but, you cannot compare the 2....Directs need transponder space, that isn't a factor at all for a streaming service....I would "assume" That if Direct had all the room in their satellites everything that is offered, would be in HD
There's plenty of HD space on the satellites. D15 has been sitting empty for almost 2 years now.

I'd love to see Discovery Family in HD as well.

As a Dish sub, I have it in HD, and I can tell you first-hand that it's not the same as when Hasbro used to manage the channel back when it was called The Hub. Those were the good old days... many Hasbro game shows and a ton of cartoon program variety during the daytime, and ALF & Hercules during the night.

Now though as Discovery Family, 90% of the daytime schedule is filled with My Little Pony and Littlest Pet Shop. And after 4 pm, you get all the old TLC/Discovery/Animal Planet programs that no one is interested in watching. Many of the old Hasbro programs were removed, including the reruns of Family Game Night, which was one of my favorite programs. The only sitcom I think they've aired was Blossom, and now that's been pulled too. Ever since Discovery took over majority control, I honestly don't know how the network has been able to survive. Aside from the MLP fans, there's really no other reason to watch it nowadays.

Reactions: pattykay
As a Dish sub, I have it in HD, and I can tell you first-hand that it's not the same as when Hasbro used to manage the channel back when it was called The Hub. Those were the good old days…

Now though as Discovery Family, 90% of the daytime schedule is filled with ….

Well, this goes for the overwhelming majority of cable-television programmers.

(Thank you!)

Bring in Discovery Family HD, anyway, AT&T [DirecTV]!

Reactions: pattykay
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)