HD Cinema (please) give us the movies in its OAR

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Until HD Cinema does its movies in its OAR, HD Cinema will not get the respect of people here. The only thing HD Cinema does right now in its OAR are 1:85:1 movies. There has been very few movies (I can count them on the part of my hand) that are not 1:85:1 done in its OAR. Most of these movies selection are "B" type movies which will be greatly enhanced by showing them OAR. Please Please give us the customers what we want.

Sean,

I understand where you are coming from, but I think there may also be some drawbacks to broadcasting OAR. While movie buffs and OAR aficionados may want to see a movie in it's original aspect ratio many other people are going to be perplexed or even irritated that they are seeing black bars on their brand new HDTVs when watching HD movies and content. A lot of people don't realize that there are different aspect ratios on different movies and that 16:9 is just an average of sorts between those different ratios. Those expecting somewhat of a consistent experience with their new TVs may be disillusioned with differing OAR ratios. Keep in mind that many TVs will not stretch or zoom and image that is coming in via component inputs. Just my opinion ;)

I've said this before as well, I see no difference in seeing "Mr. Mom" with black bars or without. Personally I prefer full 16x9 viewing ALL the time... it's not the same as cropping to 4:3, I saw Lord of the Rings both TT and FOTR I have them both on DVD in OAR, and I have to say if I rate the DVDs at a 9. I have to give the 1080i 16x9 HDTV broadcast of them a perfect 10. I know I lose what 10% of the scenery but everything seems more "in your face"...

I like it, and for these B movies like Night of the LIving Dead (1965) I don't think it would make any difference. The only difference I think is what txdude pointed out, then you'd have the people with the nice HDTVs they just bought going "DAMNIT I STILL HAVE BLACK BARZ!!!"

When I saw Mr Mom in the guide yesterday, I thought "Hey, a newer movie" LOL, it was 1983! Damn, where did the time go?

I don't know but that's a pretty funny movie, I'm glad to see them adding a few more "well known" like this. Maybe they'll start adding some 80's classics like The Breakfast Club and Wierd Science...This has been the first CinemaX movie I've seen in it's entirety all month. I only caught the last half of Manchurian Candidate (want to see that again) I noticed Monsters is giving the Leatherface Jason thing again...and Gunslingers is actually going to be showing something worth watching soon!

IMO, You are crazy Dvlos if you think HD LOTR is a better movie than OAR LOTR. And if people think they are being cheated because they're new HDTV isn't filled up, than these people need to be educated, not bowed to because of their ignorance.

Sean, I guess you're going to have to start up a poll :)

Personally, I don't mind the black bars. If someone has a small set to begin with, they may make the picture too small. But on my 65" set, not a real problem. Granted many movies don't suffer one way or another cropped, but who's going to decide what should get cropped and what shouldn't (besides ME, that is)? Just don't crop anything.

as for people complaining why the picture doesn't fill their screen, that's what those little infomercial segments with the hd magazine guy is for.

It's also been my observation that cropped movies tend to look worse PQ-wise when cropped. It's like they do the transfer OAR and then zoom into the picture. I have no idea if that's true or not, but it looks that way.

slffl said:
IMO, You are crazy Dvlos if you think HD LOTR is a better movie than OAR LOTR. And if people think they are being cheated because they're new HDTV isn't filled up, than these people need to be educated, not bowed to because of their ignorance.

Yeah I guess call me crazy for having an opinion. I own the movies on DVD, for one 1080i makes a difference in sharpness, but the remaining scenery which IMO isn't a lot, wasn't missed in my book. The battle scenes would have been nice to keep OAR since there is a lot of detail there, but overall it seemed the characters were "closer" and you could see more detail in their faces and costumes.

That's just my opinion, when I only had 4:3 TVs I wouldn't buy the full screen version of any movie, because you do lose tons of footage from the film. From 2.35:1 down to 1.85:1 sometimes it doesn't seem like you're missing all that much. In some movies it surely brings out the imperfections more though.

We had a poll on this already and close to 80% of the people voted for OAR. The problem with not showing a movie in its OAR are two: (1) losing some of the picture & (2) PQ quality is degraded. I alway give the example of trying to zoom the 4x3 picture. Sure you can see it much more closely but there's so much degration in PQ. As far as the zoom in these movies, I rather (my opinion) watched in OAR. If Voom can come up with an aspect ratio button that lets you zoom in the movie, this will also be the solution to those that do not want to see it letterbox.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)