HD DVD: No Way For It To Come Back Against Blu-ray

I wouldn't assume it was a last minute decision because the PR dept had no comment the other day. PULEEZE. And this person writes for a major cable network. Warner obviously meant to time the announcement to the start of CES and wasn't about to leak any exclusives prematurely.

Who knows. The PR machine for Sci-Fi kept telling people that there was no Sci-Fi HD channel even though their own technical web site listed the specifications for the channel and DirecTV was showing it.

a_090BillPaxton.jpg

GAME OVER MAN.....GAME OVER

Yes, this is big news! I wonder whether BlockBuster will begin to sell off it's HD DVD inventory now. 4 for $20 HD DVD only. :) When I was there they were in the process of expanding the shelf space for both BD and HD DVD. they also added a large collection of both retail sales but at premium pricing. I think Block Buster is about to expand their offering of Blu Ray now.

I feel bad for those who have $$ stock in HD DVD. At least I got mine for free. But I have spent about $100 on HD DVD media. Should be interesting to hear what the HD DVD group will respond with at CES.

Yes, this is big news! I wonder whether BlockBuster will begin to sell off it's HD DVD inventory now. 4 for $20 HD DVD only. :) When I was there they were in the process of expanding the shelf space for both BD and HD DVD. they also added a large collection of both retail sales but at premium pricing. I think Block Buster is about to expand their offering of Blu Ray now.

I feel bad for those who have $$ stock in HD DVD. At least I got mine for free. But I have spent about $100 on HD DVD media. Should be interesting to hear what the HD DVD group will respond with at CES.

I spent over $700 on mine. I'll go back to renting SD DVD's. I went with HD-DVD since pr0n and "Digital Video Essentials" were only available on HD DVD. I don't regret it one bit. I will see if anyone wants to unload their XA2/A35's for dirt cheap.

Let's see- something like 70% of releases now becoming Blu-ray exclusive? What percent of HD DVD sales were from Warner? 40% or so?

With some major retailers expected to announce a move to stocking Blu-ray exclusively, and the Blockbuster decision, will HD DVD fans move to online purchases mostly, and from the HD DVD selection carried in stores that also sell LPs and 8 track tapes?

How long before Universal decides they're leaving money on the table? How long before Paramount reaches the end of their HD DVD exclusivity contract? March 2009? Or do they have an escape clause that will let them out early? Or Toshiba decides to staunch the blood flow now that M$ will not fund them anymore?

Weinstein moving to Blu-ray exclusively, as rumored, and actually returning to releasing movies in high def?

And that Funai Blu-ray player, and the Chinese Blu-ray player, both to be announced at CES?

Face it- you're glad you bought that PS3.

Oh did Paramount switch too?

I will be interesting to see what Paramount does. If Universal goes purple as expected, Paramount will be caught. I wonder if there is an out in their contract. Still Paramount will still probably come out ahead. They probably do not have to sell another HD-DVD in the year left on their deal... The big money up front probably would cover all BD profits lost. The market is still tiny, even if it grows 10x in the next year, Paramount still will not lose out on much.

They can't, HD-DVD cancelled their show @ CES, this blow was the death blow to HD-DVD.
Game over :)

They can't, HD-DVD cancelled their show @ CES, this blow was the death blow to HD-DVD.
Game over :)

So far they only canceled/postponed Sunday's HD-DVD press conference. They will likely still have some messages out at CES.

But even they can hear the Fat Lady warming up in her dressing room.

The warner stuff has played its course, HDDVD took a major blow with it. The next rumor(from same insider I said two weeks ago was touting BD and Warner) is Universal is planning at least neutrality. Once Uni goes neutral, its OVER.

Im gonna unsub from this thread and wait for the next goodie of news for BD.

Just got my second HD DVD player from amazon. I did not received it yet. Suppose to come in the mail tomorrow. I guess I will return it without even opening the box.
GOOD BYE HD DVD!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)