HD DVD: No Way For It To Come Back Against Blu-ray

Yes, I'd definitely return it. You won't be the only one.

I've read that the Universal contract is already over for carrying HD DVD exclusively, and I've read where some think it ends next Jan or Feb. Does anybody know anything to support either way? Uni's contract ends March 2009, I believe. I suspect escape clauses will let them all out sooner, or Toshiba will do a deal or two letting them go. Maybe in exchange for a Blu-ray manufacturing license at cut rates. I would be very skeptical of doing that for them- they've little to negotiate with, and this stupid M$ inspired war has cost too many people too much.

And if major retailers really do start to drop HD DVD, that leaves even less for Microshiba to negotiate away. Really, even if you hadn't already planned on it, wouldn't you immediately phase out HD DVD in your store? As more and more people learn that Blu-ray has won (& don't waste my time with your fantasies otherwise), they'll just be more inclined to return what they've bought from you, angry that you sold them something obsolete.

These decisions will all likely shake out in the next 1-3 months.

Just got my second HD DVD player from amazon. I did not received it yet. Suppose to come in the mail tomorrow. I guess I will return it without even opening the box.
GOOD BYE HD DVD!!!!!

Wow, LoL people sure do over react. I agree with the sending the 2nd receiver back though.

Wow, LoL people sure do over react. I agree with the sending the 2nd receiver back though.
I dont know if I do. Depending on the price he paid, it still makes a GREAT upconvert player(if he actually needs one). This is of course if one assumes that HD-DVD is dead, and I dont think it is YET.

I've read that the Universal contract is already over for carrying HD DVD exclusively, and I've read where some think it ends next Jan or Feb. Does anybody know anything to support either way?

The Wall Street Journal reported that Paramount may be able to get out of its contract early (i.e. by the end of this year).

Now, the focus will turn to the remaining studios in the HD DVD camp. Provisions in the HD DVD's arrangement with Paramount could allow the studio to go back to releasing movies on Blu-ray as early as the end of the year, people familiar with the matter say. And Warner's move could put pressure on Universal Pictures to start releasing DVDs in Blu-ray in addition to, or instead of, HD DVD

Blu-ray Lands a Big Fish: Warner - WSJ.com

Note that they imply there is no reason for Universal not to start releasing at any time while Paramount may be tied up.

Im watcing CNBC and they just blasted Bill Gates for not saying anything about the HD DVD war during his speech at CES! They also showed a snippet from Warner Bros. pres. for reason why they chose Blu-Ray. A full interview is coming up!!!

Im watcing CNBC and they just blasted Bill Gates for not saying anything about the HD DVD war during his speech at CES! They also showed a snippet from Warner Bros. pres. for reason why they chose Blu-Ray. A full interview is coming up!!!

I personally don't think MS is caring right now. They win no matter what. VC-1 and Internet downloads. They even got MGM and Disney for downloadable content now.

This may hurt the relationship with Toshiba though. Time will tell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)