HD-DVD PLAYER $98.87!! at WalMart

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I bet the BR fanboys are crapping their pants now. Just think if Toshiba keeps up with supply and the stores keep selling them at $99 through the end of the year. Sounds like a strategy to dominate the HD format market.

That's interesting, since it wasn't on CC's website earlier. They must have gotten or agreed to get another shipment.

After being #11 in line this morning at a store that had then and then calling 4 others during the day, I finally found a Wal-Mart in the boonies that had three left and got mine, so I am now officially purple. :)

It showed in CC's website around 11:00 AM PST, it wasn't there before.

I got one at about 1:30 PM at the closest of 2 local WMs. The store was busy but no "door buster" panic in evidence. I have no idea how many they had to start, or when I got mine. I couldn't find any of the discounted movies, however.

At $100, this impulse buy doesn't constitute an "investment" (like the over $7K I now have in HD TVs!) nor is it likely to give me any guilt later. I wasn't ready to jump into HD DVD, but what the heck! My only disappointment is that the A2 doesn't output in 1080p...

Fry's deal

Just got back from my rounds checking for the same deal some have gotten at Walmart and such. Just fyi.

Walmart-no HD2's at any price. Gone in about 1-2hrs the girl said@$98.87. Not much for movies either. Aero store.

Best Buy- HD3's for $199 + 7 free movies. Mission Valley.

Fry's- HD3's for $98.87 includes 2 free HD movies in the box. Bourne Identity and 300. Aero store.

Needless to say I jumped at the HD3's at Fry's. They had about 5 stashed by the TV salespersons counter. Had to ask to find out about it.

Maybe a new round of salvos for the HDDVD/Blue Ray war. Just wanted to post what I found here in San Diego.

Just got back from my rounds checking for the same deal some have gotten at Walmart and such. Just fyi.

Walmart-no HD2's at any price. Gone in about 1-2hrs the girl said@$98.87. Not much for movies either. Aero store.

Best Buy- HD3's for $199 + 7 free movies. Mission Valley.

Fry's- HD3's for $98.87 includes 2 free HD movies in the box. Bourne Identity and 300. Aero store.

Needless to say I jumped at the HD3's at Fry's. They had about 5 stashed by the TV salespersons counter. Had to ask to find out about it.

Maybe a new round of salvos for the HDDVD/Blue Ray war. Just wanted to post what I found here in San Diego.

What???? Fry's has them? I just looked at their ad and couldn't find it.

What???? Fry's has them? I just looked at their ad and couldn't find it.

Not in their ad. Had to ask a salesperson about it. Kind of lame I guess. Maybe they'll all offer it again at this price. People are saying that this could be a soft Christmas for sales, we'll see. Good luck.

Got the A3 for $98.87. Thank you 69Mustang, I would give you a hug if I had you in front of me. :)

When I read your post, I just took off and went to Fry's by the time I got there they didn't have any A2s so I asked the sales person and he gives me a big smile and he says: "No, we don't have the A2s anymore but I could give you an A3 for the same price". I was like YES... they only had two left.

Just cancelled the CC order. :D

A3 for $98.87? That's really wild! Congratulations!
Did it also have two movies in the box?

Got me 3 "A3's" at Frys Oxnard. $98 and change each.

These will make great gifts next month, of course I am keeping one for myself. :D

having trouble getting this damn player to work on my network. can somebody give me their own ethernet settings on the player so i can see if it helps?

having trouble getting this damn player to work on my network. can somebody give me their own ethernet settings on the player so i can see if it helps?

In the player's setup, go to Ethernet settings:

- DHCP: Set to ON
- DNS: Set to ON
- Confirm: With "Confirm" button highlighted, press the Remote's OK button

Player will take 10-30 seconds, then you should see numbers in the IP Adresss box similar to: 192.168.XXX.XXX
The subnet box should be 255.255.255.0

Toggle down to the OK button, then press OK on the remote.

This should work for most home internet connections. You also need to set the Network Speed, in the Ethernet menu bar. By default, it's set to dial-up speed, 56k (Dumb!). If unsure of your connection speed but you have cable or DSL, set to 1MB.

Player will take 10-30 seconds, then you should see numbers in the IP Adresss box similar to: 192.168.XXX.XXX

This should work for most home internet connections. You also need to set the Network Speed, in the Ethernet menu bar. By default, it's set to dial-up speed, 56k (Dumb!). If unsure of your connection speed but you have cable or DSL, set to 1MB.

That's what I did and got it on the network but it won't download the firmware update. I get a server not found, I'll try later tonight after I read the manual. :)

I did the firmware download and it was very easy - a neat way to update a DVD player.

It took about 20 minutes to download and install the firmware.

It took me forever to download the update. I went the route of download the iso and burn a cd. My broadband speeds were fine (doing other stuff) during the download, but the download of that 35Mb file took an hour! I am not kidding. Toshiba must have been overloaded.

I'm too paranoid to attempt an internet firmware update. Given the potential for my ISP to go down right in the middle of things (unfortunately, a somewhat frequent thing). I'm SO paranoid that I even plugged my A2 into my computer's UPS during the flash procedure! All went well. Given my paranoia, I was nervous when the whole thing took 12 minutes to complete since the instructions say it takes 30. But it was all good. The one problem that I had identified went away after the update. (HDMI connection directly to TV yielded two distinct pops from the TVs speakers every time I hit chapter forward or chapter back. Oddly, these pops occurred even if the TVs volume was set completely to zero. A2 firmware upgrade fixed this though.)

I couldn't find any A2 but I found out best buy is selling the A3 for 199 with two movies in the box, two free movies from the store and a mail in rebate for 5 more.

Having the hardest time getting the lan port on the hd-a2 to recognize my network. Followed the instructions above as well as the ones in the owners manual but to no avail. I am computer savvy (i guess) but not too savvy on network setups. I can usually figure these things out but i am completely stumped. When i set dhcp to on and dns to on the click the confirm button it takes about 10 seconds before it confirms but i get no dns address to show up just : 0.0.0.0:confused:
Any more info would be appreciated.

Having the hardest time getting the lan port on the hd-a2 to recognize my network. Followed the instructions above as well as the ones in the owners manual but to no avail. I am computer savvy (i guess) but not too savvy on network setups. I can usually figure these things out but i am completely stumped. When i set dhcp to on and dns to on the click the confirm button it takes about 10 seconds before it confirms but i get no dns address to show up just : 0.0.0.0:confused:
Any more info would be appreciated.

Make sure you power off your unit after turning the two things to On and pressing confirm. I had this problem but luckily when I searched AVS had an article on how people were forgetting to power down and back on their system. For some reason the changes aren't truely saved until you power off and back on. I did this and updated in about a half hour.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)