HD-DVD PLAYER $98.87!! at WalMart

I see on their site that the hug diffs all the additional disc and recorded formats they support; like all my home burnt DVD-R. But at $98 I will just have to NOT play those for now. I just want to experience that HD on my FPTV.

I see on their site that the hug diffs all the additional disc and recorded formats they support; like all my home burnt DVD-R. But at $98 I will just have to NOT play those for now. I just want to experience that HD on my FPTV.
Chuck, I started out with an A-2 but had HDMI to DVI issues so upgraded to an A-3 but the A-2 did play my home-grown -R dvds.

So far I haven't had any problem with the A-3 playing them either.

What was an issue for my recorded dvds (and a few commercial ones) was the A-3 wasn't always stretching the width to fit my 16:9 screen (black bars 4 sides), even after updating the fw to 1.1.

Then I found after changing the picture setting in the A-3's menu from 16:9 to either 4:3 or 4:3 letterbox, it up-converts fine - at least everything I've tried so far.

What are the differences between the A2 vs the A3? I see a few stores with Black Friday ads for the A3 @ $169[/QUOTE]

From what I read it's mostly audio. If you connect it to your receivee with HDMI it doesn't matter much but if you connect with optical the A2 will convert dolby truehd and dolby digtal plus to DTS at 1.5 mbs the A3 is much lower

Chuck, I started out with an A-2 but had HDMI to DVI issues so upgraded to an A-3 but the A-2 did play my home-grown -R dvds.

So far I haven't had any problem with the A-3 playing them either.

What was an issue for my recorded dvds (and a few commercial ones) was the A-3 wasn't always stretching the width to fit my 16:9 screen (black bars 4 sides), even after updating the fw to 1.1.

Then I found after changing the picture setting in the A-3's menu from 16:9 to either 4:3 or 4:3 letterbox, it up-converts fine - at least everything I've tried so far.

I think I have decided to try to get an A3 or above during Black Friday; if not, I am in no hurry to commit to a format. I am not ready to spend anything north of $225 until I can see which way the wind is really blowing.

The difference between the A2 and A3 is the audio as mentioned earlier. A3 does Dolby Digital 5.1, A2 does DTS. There was a review online (forget which site) but they clearly stated that was basically the only difference. Supposedly the A2 is the better buy..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts