HD DVR (soliciting your thoughts)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

aristotlewilde

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 19, 2004
I am about to cancel out one of my boxes (an old Hughes Tivo)due to NEVER using it. In the process, I am contemplating upgrading my current h20 to an HD-DVR.

I wanted some input though...

1) If you have one of these, are you happy with it?
2) What is my best course of action for the least out of pocket to get this installed?

I am not looking for a scam, but is retention giving out decent deals on these? Is it just as easy to ask a regular CSR?

I am about to cancel out one of my boxes (an old Hughes Tivo)due to NEVER using it. In the process, I am contemplating upgrading my current h20 to an HD-DVR.

2) What is my best course of action for the least out of pocket to get this installed?

I am not looking for a scam, but is retention giving out decent deals on these? Is it just as easy to ask a regular CSR?

Theres a waitlist ....for those.

HR20 is good. No issues so far. I basically had it five days after ordering it directly through DTV. I didn't realize there were still shortages...

I'd say get the HR20 since D* is putting a LOT of effort into that box, not only making it more stable but adding functionality. The H20 doesn't even had the "active" feature enabled on it and it's been out since late 2005.

Over at DBSTalk the buzz is that there is a HR20 shortage again so you might have to wait to get one. But I'd recommend going the retention route to see if you can get an upgrade for a very reduced cost. Of course it helps if you're an "A" list customer but you never know until you try. Also check the order hardware section on the D* web site, if you're a good customer they've got the price at $199. Good luck.

I've had the HR20 since October and absolutely love it... I'm a TiVO owner since the original standalone TiVO and while the HR20 is an adjustment, it's still a great piece of equipment...

I would go straight to retention and not bother with a regular CSR...

1. Yes
2. you can probably get one for $199 without to much trouble from D* , they will also come out and set up your new 5 LNB dish ($100. if you were to buy it yourself) for free.
You may do better, but I was happy with $199, I think it's a reasonable price.

Jimbo

I've had the HR20 since October and absolutely love it... I'm a TiVO owner since the original standalone TiVO and while the HR20 is an adjustment, it's still a great piece of equipment...

I would go straight to retention and not bother with a regular CSR...

The going straight to retention is just sickening...

CSRS pick up on people that call in and do that..and because of that, we've stopped alot of the giving stuff aware for free gig.

Just a warning.....

The going straight to retention is just sickening...

CSRS pick up on people that call in and do that..and because of that, we've stopped alot of the giving stuff aware for free gig.

Just a warning.....

I don't mind paying, but as an "A List" customer, I certainly want to be treated as such. $199 seems like a fair price for this.

I just did the bitch and moan thing when D* "accidentally" shut off all of my services (something about a bounced signal) and couldn't figure out how to get my DVR's back up and running, they gave me $20 off for six months. This almost pays for the DVR, so I don't need to play the whole "Comcast wants me back" game.

I deal directly with clients everyday for a mortgage bank. I find it funny when people play the "Retention game" since I loan hundreds of thousands of dollars. I will let them walk and have no regrets if I sense they are trying to squeeze.

I am moving this to the DVR section. You might get more responses there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts