HD DVR Upgrade

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

godivajan

Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
:confused:
Good evening all. I'm looking for advice on what I need to purchase to move up to HD. I currently have D**, 2 regular recievers and 1 DVR. I was thinking I'd put the existing DVR in our bedroom and getting an HD DVR for the family room. I'm just a little confused on what equipment to buy and from where. If I go onto D** website, they have several options for upgrading. BestBuy has the HD DVR box on sale, with rebate I think it's $499. But that probably doesn't include the OTA antenna. Do I need a new dish, which means I have to go through D**? Sorry for the questions, but since I'm sort of stuck with D** (due to me and the hubby being HUGE football fans) I'm just not sure which way to go. Of course then I hear about D** getting rid of Tivo and getting new boxes! Is there ever a good time to take the plunge? Ughh!

Thanks to all who read this for your patience. I just hate being confused

Call retention department at D* and just mentioning thinking of leaving D* for cable and ask for the $299 HD Tivo deal with $100 rebate. Also ask for programming credits like HBO, Showtime and HD Package.

1-800-600-8977

The HD Tivo will be good for quite a long time. MPEG4 HD stuff is delayed and wont really hit until next year. And during the transition, the HD Tivo is still good. Also you can ask to have an external antenna installed for a deal to make the HD Tivo with your locals. I dont know your locals or closeness to antennas but it should be possible to get at least a few HD locals depending on your area. There are plenty of good places to look up information including www.tivocommunity.com .

Brewer4 said:
The HD Tivo will be good for quite a long time. MPEG4 HD stuff is delayed and wont really hit until next year. And during the transition, the HD Tivo is still good. Also you can ask to have an external antenna installed for a deal to make the HD Tivo with your locals. I dont know your locals or closeness to antennas but it should be possible to get at least a few HD locals depending on your area. There are plenty of good places to look up information including www.tivocommunity.com .

MPEG4 stuff is delayed until sometime next year? Source please?

Barney

Barneypoo69 said:

Barney

I think our friend is saying that because one of the new Sats is still on the ground, and the one that is up in the sky is still being tested. Those things coupled with seeming lack of preparedness for the installs of the new 3'X2' 5LNB dishes and the new STBs.

But hey... who knows? D* certainly isn't telling anyone.

Barneypoo69 said:

Barney

avsforum, tivocommunity, satelliteguys, etc. Too many sources to name. The MPEG4 stuff is coming but the best we will see is the stand alone H20 by years end. And the MPEG4 content will more than likely be nothing but the top 12 local LIL 4 major networks. D* mentioned November but with one satellite still on the ground and no indications of the Detroit test market, I highly doubt 2005. I am still hopeful, but I would be completely blown away if any HD national content is available this year. Even D* has mentioned the HD DVR's wont be out till next year and that is still open to debate which quarter.

At $199 after rebate with all indications that at least stand alone HD receivers will be replaced for free leads me to believe the HD Tivo's will be replaced for free next year but only when necessary. All indications point to no new national HD channels in the next 6 months. I could be dead wrong but then, I would be happy about that.

I'd go for the current HD-Tivo offer (actually I did) for $199 AR. According to the link above we now have confirmation from Directv that they will upgrade you to the new MPEG4 equipment for free. I'm in market #92 anyway so MPEG4 is still a long way off for me. Luckily my locals come in good.

Been lurking here for a while, have a question now though. I have a 51" hdtv with NO hd channels :( I am with Dish at the moment, but don't want to pay the 700 bucks for the hd 942 and THEN can't get line of site for the 2nd dish.

Would DTV give NEW customers the 199 hd tivo deal? Just wondering. I am a man with an awesome hdtv, with no hdtv signal. Could you imagine living like that? Doesn't bother my wife a bit.

shill said:
Been lurking here for a while, have a question now though. I have a 51" hdtv with NO hd channels :( I am with Dish at the moment, but don't want to pay the 700 bucks for the hd 942 and THEN can't get line of site for the 2nd dish.

Would DTV give NEW customers the 199 hd tivo deal? Just wondering. I am a man with an awesome hdtv, with no hdtv signal. Could you imagine living like that? Doesn't bother my wife a bit.

I've seen some people sign up for Directv and then a few days later after they had their dish installed call to get the HD-Dvr deal. Check the sticky thread at the top of the page. Lol, is Dish still trying to sell that 942 for $700? I remember the other "deal" they tried to do was to put $249 down for the privelage of leasing it :rolleyes:. As an 8 year former customer of Dish, all I can say is get to Directv, you'll be much happier with the way they treat you as a current customer.

BTW, I believe all wives suffer from the "Hardly Different" syndrome. We can only look at them in pity I'm afraid.

YEP. My main concern is DTV's promises. They 'promised' me about 3 years that locals were coming. That's why I finally switched to Dish. Now the family can't live without the DVR. My concern is that the HD channels will NEVER come. While with dish, I know I can receive voom if I put a 300 foot tower on the house ;D

If I KNEW that we would eventually get MORE channels, I would switch. The other thing is, what if they offer a spectacular deal for new customers for HD equipment the day after I get normal. :(

BTW, I believe all wives suffer from the "Hardly Different" syndrome. We can only look at them in pity I'm afraid

You should never say all wives!! I am a "wife", well I will be in 6 weeks, who is the techno freak. I start quoting from my latest edition of Home Theater, Electronic Home, or various web sites and his eyes glaze over. If he can turn it on, and he sees a picture he's a happy camper. It's just funny that whenever I buy some new toy, how much he likes the improvement though! Anyway, thanks to all of your advice, I am having the HD DVR and OTA antenna installed next Saturday for $199. I didn't realize that option existed but they didn't hesitate. Thanks again for your help and a great forum.Jan
:p

well, i called dtv yesterday and since I was a previous customer about 4 years ago, they couldn't hook my system up. Said someone would call me back today that hooks up people who were prior customers. Still waiting for that call :( What happened to all that said DTV's customer service was superior? Customer service in this day and age has dissolved into nothing.

godivajan said:
You should never say all wives!! I am a "wife", well I will be in 6 weeks, who is the techno freak. I start quoting from my latest edition of Home Theater, Electronic Home, or various web sites and his eyes glaze over. If he can turn it on, and he sees a picture he's a happy camper. It's just funny that whenever I buy some new toy, how much he likes the improvement though! Anyway, thanks to all of your advice, I am having the HD DVR and OTA antenna installed next Saturday for $199. I didn't realize that option existed but they didn't hesitate. Thanks again for your help and a great forum.Jan
:p
i'm always tickled when i get into a customer's home and suggest that we try a different input to improve signal to a guy, and see him run for the wife to try and get an interpretation . . there's definitely some sharp women out there, and some with serious toy skills

shill said:
well, i called dtv yesterday and since I was a previous customer about 4 years ago, they couldn't hook my system up. Said someone would call me back today that hooks up people who were prior customers. Still waiting for that call :( What happened to all that said DTV's customer service was superior? Customer service in this day and age has dissolved into nothing.

Call the retention dept. I'm also a previous customer. It took me 3 calls but I eventually got the deal plus programming credits. It all depends on which CSR you get.

Thanks for the info and the phone number

Brewer4 said:
Call retention department at D* and just mentioning thinking of leaving D* for cable and ask for the $299 HD Tivo deal with $100 rebate. Also ask for programming credits like HBO, Showtime and HD Package.

1-800-600-8977

First time post here ~ I come here and read a lot ~ And learn a lot ~ I now have a HD Tivo on there for the price stated here as opposed to the 549.00 on the D** site ~ Thank you so very much for the info ~ !

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)