HD Hybrid Mode?

BigFunMark

Original poster
May 21, 2004
I currently use a Panasonic HD receiver with DirecTV. I chose this receiver because it supports a "hybrid" output mode where 720p is upconverted to 1080i, but 480i and 480p are presented as 480p over the component outputs. This works very well with my Toshiba 4:3 HD TV. When it detects 1080i HD programming it goes into a 16:9 mode with very good resolution, but will fallback to 4:3 for SD programming. The TV will not display 720p at all, so I can't use the "native" mode, and if I set my receiver to 1080i then SD programming never fills the screen.

Is it possible for Voom to support a Hybrid mode? Is there anyway to push this up the request line? This is especially important as there isn't any way to change the mode from the remote, same as my Panasonic :-(

Here's hoping I can get a solution and move to Voom!

BigFunMark said:
I currently use a Panasonic HD receiver with DirecTV. I chose this receiver because it supports a "hybrid" output mode where 720p is upconverted to 1080i, but 480i and 480p are presented as 480p over the component outputs. This works very well with my Toshiba 4:3 HD TV. When it detects 1080i HD programming it goes into a 16:9 mode with very good resolution, but will fallback to 4:3 for SD programming. The TV will not display 720p at all, so I can't use the "native" mode, and if I set my receiver to 1080i then SD programming never fills the screen.

Is it possible for Voom to support a Hybrid mode? Is there anyway to push this up the request line? This is especially important as there isn't any way to change the mode from the remote, same as my Panasonic :-(

Here's hoping I can get a solution and move to Voom!

BigFunMark,

Welcome. Do not know if this is possible right now. There are many things that the stb is lacking right now. Have Ilya add this to the feature request on this thread:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=11137

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)