HD "movers" beware

Status
Please reply by conversation.
"According to the memo in the OP, the replacement receiver will be activated as "owned".

Ill believe that when I see it. It takes an act of congress almost to get csrs to activate bought receivers as not leased these days.

Now you don't think they would force you to replace an "owned" receiver for a "leased" one , would you? That would be what lawyers call conversion.

Im sure you can do it with some effort, but I doubt directv is going to offer that option without some hassle. CSRs are now conditioned for a lease only world.

newsposter said:
i dont understand the 5 month thing? Where do you get that? I thought only west coast was announced so i'd be paying an undetermined time until they did east
My bad. I mis-read the previous post of "5 a month". I thought it said you'd be paying for "5 months", suggesting that was your estimate on when it got to your area. Anyway, it'd probably still be a pretty cheap replacement. But you never know with DirecTV.

-JustBob

directvrep said:
The replacement receiver will be activated as an "owned" receiver, which will be at the customer’s discretion to continue service on.

I will just activate my old receiver, get a new upgrade one, wait a couple months deactivate, and wait on the new HD-DVR to replace my tivo HD-DVR and at that time get the new dish. Maybe the slim 5 lnb will be out.

Can directvrep reply to some of the questions that have been posted in this thread?

hiker said:
Now you don't think they would force you to replace an "owned" receiver for a "leased" one , would you? That would be what lawyers call conversion.

You need to start posting that legal term in some of the other threads. I've heard warranty replacements being 'converted'

directvrep said:
Well, the time has come. Those who have "moved" are about to be sorted out. D* is now drop-shipping MPEG 4 HD receivers to customers in PST and MST to replace the MPEG 2 HD receivers currently owned.

Effective 5/15/06
All customers 1)in the markets with HD locals in PST and MST zones; or 2) live in PST or MST zones and have HD- distant networks from LA; 3)and an MPEG 2 receiver that is active and has not been "swapped" for the MEPEG 4 locals will automatically receive a drop-shipped, address confirmed receiver.

This offer is automatically fulfilled at no cost to the customer. Shipping dates will be staggered due to availability.CSR can NOT order, and the customer can NOT request this offer.

If the customer has multiple MPEG 2 HD receivers all, they will all be replaced. If multiple receivers are shipped, they may not all arrive at the same time.

At that time, if the package is returned "undeliverable", "package refused", or "not a resident of this address" then the subscriber MUST contact D* and update any address variations in order to continue services.

If the package is confirmed as "delivered" the new HD receiver must be activated with the card that comes with the receiver. The old receiver will at that point be disconnected and no longer be used. The replacement receiver will be activated as an "owned" receiver, which will be at the customer’s discretion to continue service on. The replacement receiver will not be re-shipped without confirmation that the original shipment was returned to D*. Any receiver shipped must be activated at the address, and on the account it was shipped to.

Once the receiver is activated the customer will be prompted to upgrade their satellite dish to ensure future compatibility.

No HD-DVR is currently available for swap.

The hell with DirecTV. I'm not giving up my Hughes receivers, which have worked perfectly, for your cheaply made & underperforming pieces of crap. If you want to cancel my subscription for this refusal, go ahead and do it.

"Those who have "moved" are about to be sorted out"

That is an interesting statement, i can read a lot into it. Maybe they are trying to get HD users to make the switch now avoiding problems when mpeg 4 only hd broadcast start

Last edited:
directvrep said:
Effective 5/15/06
All customers 1)in the markets with HD locals in PST and MST zones; or 2) live in PST or MST zones and have HD- distant networks from LA; 3)and an MPEG 2 receiver that is active and has not been "swapped" for the MEPEG 4 locals will automatically receive a drop-shipped, address confirmed receiver.
Ok, I'll bite. According to this statement I'll be getting a new receiver. WooHoo!:hungry: Now let's ask a few questions:
  • The statement makes no mention of 'Movers'. Why would D* want to spend the $$$ just to catch people?
  • No mention of waivers. If someone has a waiver will they be getting a new receiver?

If the package is confirmed as "delivered" the new HD receiver must be activated with the card that comes with the receiver. The old receiver will at that point be disconnected and no longer be used.
  • What do they mean 'no longer be used'? Why not? Not even for analog?

Once the receiver is activated the customer will be prompted to upgrade their satellite dish to ensure future compatibility.
Sorry, not until the new 'slimline' comes out. My dish needs to be mounted to a tower. Not an easy task. So, I am only willing to do it once.
....jc

newsposter said:
You need to start posting that legal term in some of the other threads. I've heard warranty replacements being 'converted'

My component outputs failed on my H10 last week. They replaced it with a refirb. H20 unit & switched it to a lease. This doesn't bother me as I was being charged for a second receiver anyways so it was a wash.

Now if they try to charge me a lease fee when they replace my HR10-250 that won't fly with me!

Im not sure im buying any of this, but here are my questions:

Will UPS be dropping these recievers off or will they be showing up with a local installer?

are we going to be notified a week, a day or whatever in advance??

I AM a "mover" and im looking for an H20-100 and cant find them in any stores in my area and i am NOT settling for a slow -600 series that runs hot.

So i will just have to warn my aunt at my "service" address to be on the lookout for a free directv reciever

by the way, i installed my own AT-9 and it was a piece of cake

If the original OP is legit, here is my read:

1) Someone makes a statement that the memo makes no mention of "movers". It really doesn't need to. I believe the OP realized the implications and was giving a warning. If you have a bogus address or a relative, the OP should get a thank you for the heads up as it allows you to plan accordingly.

2) Notice the # 2) live in PST or MST zones and have HD- distant networks from LA besides the other West Coast Markets. This seems to indicate to me that the LA HD MPEG2 feed is disappearing from 101/110/110 so anyone that gets DNS service or waivers will need an MPEG4 IRD if they want to continue to receive the West Coast DNS - which may not continue to be from LA in the future.

3) Installer or in the mail? a drop-shipped, address confirmed receiver. Drop shipped -not installer. The address confirmed on shipping means that confirmation must be made where the Receiver ended up - and will almost certainly have signature confirmation required.

That means if you have moved with a forwarding address etc, they will know where the H20 actually goes. Probably not to bad if you have a legit relative - very bad if you have a made up address.

4) If the package is confirmed as "delivered" the new HD receiver must be activated with the card that comes with the receiver. The old receiver will at that point be disconnected and no longer be used.

Less clear but I read this to say once they get tracking/delivery confirmation, if you do not activate the H20 within a certain period (whether days or a week or 2) they will cut the MPEG2 unit off and you will be forced to call them - at which point they will tell you that you must plug in the other shipped unit to continue service.

Again, this is only the way I read the memo the OP posted. If the memo is even legit, who knows - but it does have some logic to it considering the 5-24-2006 for some that have DNS locals in HD LIL markets.

Last edited:
how does directv lose money by people having 'moved'? Dont people have to pay 1.50 for distance networks? I just can't see where they are losing money but i know someone will tell me

Doesn't make sense to me. Following is from http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=127160&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=858077&highlight= on the Directv web site. See area in RED.
Why do a free switchout when they want existing customers to pay $99 to exchange receivers?

"News Release

View printer-friendly version
<< Back
DIRECTV Activates Four New HD Local Markets
WHAT: DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading digital television service provider, announced today that it has begun offering local HD channels via satellite to customers in four new markets: Milwaukee, Phoenix, Salt Lake and St. Louis.

DIRECTV's roll out of local HD channels is part of a nationwide expansion of HD programming that will culminate in 2007, when DIRECTV will have the ability to deliver more than 1,500 local HD channels and more than 150 national HD channels, establishing DIRECTV as a leading provider of HD programming.

DIRECTV customers today have access to more than 900 hours of HD programming each week, as well as hundreds of hours of special event, movie and sports coverage.

DIRECTV offers local HD broadcast channels in 24 cities with plans to launch in an additional 26 cities later this year, offering access to DIRECTV-delivered local HD channels in more than 65 percent of U.S. television households.

WHEN: Beginning Wednesday, May 17, 2006
HOW: Customers who subscribe to a programming package that includes local channels receive both the standard and HD signals at no extra monthly charge. Customers in each of the four markets can receive local HD channels by purchasing a new H20 HD receiver and satellite dish. Existing HD customers can upgrade their HD receiver and dish for $99 per receiver. New residential customers can take advantage of a $100 Advanced Product Rebate through July 1, 2006. Receiving equipment is available at major consumer electronics retailers like Best Buy or Circuit City, and through DIRECTV.
Robert Mercer
310-964-4683
PainePR for DIRECTV
Danielle Kowalski
212-613-4912

Eligibility for local channels is based on service address within certain designated market areas as defined by Nielsen Media Research, Inc. Visit DIRECTV.com for more information."

NVBlue said:
Doesn't make sense to me. Why do a free switchout when they want existing customers to pay $99 to exchange receivers?

They are only sending out the receiver it seems. The dish will be extra. They will most likely still get the $99 in the end.

newsposter said:
how does directv lose money by people having 'moved'? Dont people have to pay 1.50 for distance networks? I just can't see where they are losing money but i know someone will tell me

They don't loose money. They violate their license agreement with the rights holders.

hiker said:
What is the significance of 5-24-2006?

That is the night they supposedly turn off HD DNS to a number of markets where people have H20s installed.

So Directv is suppose to go out and track everyone down, to make sure the address is correct? Also, they have to do that to protect the local stations, that are doing so good at provided HD? Yeah, I know the law, and what a silly thing it is. How about Dish, are they going to track everyone down also?

Well, maybe they should also check the mirrored receivers, because I have a feeling they aren't all where they're suppose to be either.

This is kind of interesting since I actually have second home in the NC mountains, that's in a white area, and I get the DNS there. Thats the only place I use Directv, I have cable everywhere else.

But, I don't receive mail there of any kind and that includes UPS or Fedx. Its hard too find and the road isn't the type they want to travel on. I don't need to get things delivered there anyway. So, of course everything goes to my office and thats a different address than where Directv has for the location, of courst. They have it down as the billing address though.

They can do what they like, but if they pull something crazy like that with me, and won't send the equipment somewhere else, then they can turn the account off if they like, and lose the $150 a month.

I'm only interested in the HD dvr anyway, something they can't seem to build for their Mpeg 4 signal. Still, if they won't let me buy the DVR, if it ever comes available, and act crazy because it cannot be delivered there, then thats up to them.

Its in the Charlotte market, so I guess they will turn it on sometime in June. I've paid Directv that amount a month for 12 years, and recently they are doing everything they can to run me off. I don't like the lease, their HD programming, lower resolution, dropping Tivo, the 2 year commitment, and now this, if its true.

If it is true then I really don't understand why they took that attitude all of a sudden, but maybe thats the way they are now.

Last edited:
Robert l said:
So Directv is suppose to go out and track everyone down, to make sure the address is correct? Also, they have to do that to protect the local stations, that are doing so good at provided HD? Yeah, I know the law, and what a silly thing it is. How about Dish, are they going to track everyone down also?
I dunno Robert, we'll just have to see what happens. Now, they do know everyone that has 'moved', so maybe they are just going to check them.

Any why are they doing this(if they are)? Maybe it's an agreement with the local stations?

If the wording on the original post is correct, I'll be getting a new receiver. Do I expect one to show up? Nope. I have never 'moved', but I do have DNS.

And the law SHREVA, what a joke. I have read quite a bit of it, and I have yet to find anything that benefits the consumer. It's balatently obvious that it was crafted with only the broadcasters in mind. Don't get me started!:devil:

D* is really their own worst enemy. They've bumbled the HD rollout, and they just keep shooting themselves in the foot.
....jc

Status
Please reply by conversation.