HD on 119 / 3LNB vs 5LNB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iks

Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
The DirecTV tech found that he could not install the 5 lnb dish at my location. I have a 3LNB. He swapped out my dtc100 receiver for an H20 and left me the BBC. He said DirecTV will move all their HD content to 119, in which case I will be able to get it (plus local channels I imagine) without the 5LNB. True or not to both questions? Second question: if I purchase the 6x8 wideband multiswitch and install the BBC will I be able to get NESN in HD (channel 623 is available right now in my area but Standard def).

Thanks!

Sounds like he didn't want to do a real site survey or the work in general and cut and run with the most minimal he could do and still get paid; IMHO.

Don't believe this: "DirecTV will move all their HD content to 119"

The wide band multiswitch, or any multiswitch for that matter, is only required IF you have more than four cables being used as receiver inputs, OR you need a second dish for local or international programming.

I agree with charper, it sounds like the guy cut and run. I would call D* back and have them send someone else out. The window for the 3 LNB dish is 18 degrees (from the 101 to the 119), and the window for the 5 LNB dish is 20 degrees (from the 99 to the 119).

The DirecTV tech found that he could not install the 5 lnb dish at my location. I have a 3LNB. He swapped out my dtc100 receiver for an H20 and left me the BBC. He said DirecTV will move all their HD content to 119, in which case I will be able to get it (plus local channels I imagine) without the 5LNB. True or not to both questions? Second question: if I purchase the 6x8 wideband multiswitch and install the BBC will I be able to get NESN in HD (channel 623 is available right now in my area but Standard def).

Thanks!

First off, if you can get 119 with a 3 lnb, it's almost a certainty that you can with a 5 lnb. As far as hd on 119, I think he meant it will be moved OFF of 119, not on. Just getting NESN in sd doesn't mean you will get it in hd, not right away anyway. The new sat will most likely give it to you, but it won't be turned on for a couple of weeks, or so. If you are in the Boston dma, then you will get it right away.

so let me get this straight. For example the chicago, has comcast HD 24/7. So if you live in the chicago area you'll get that right away. But if I do not live in chicago and live in wisconsin, that will be coming once the new satelitte is fired up?? Im curious to see if ill get the HD comcast soon or not.

3LNB alignment vs. 5LNB alignment

Hi there,

Good questions arising from iks' poor installation. If I have a 3LNB that captures the 101 sat at 91% signal strength - with some trees starting to block the signal, and I get the 5LNB dish installed on the same pole, will the 5LNB be aimed lower on the horizon or higher from the horizon than the 3LNB? I am in the Detroit area.

I am scheduled for a 5LNB install tomorrow and have concerns that those trees will block the signal on the 5LNB and DTV will have to find another location. Also, as I recall, the installer on my 3LNB (7 years ago) said that he would charge me to bury the cable from the dish to the house. Is this still true? Any thoughts on any of these concerns? Thanks!

3 vs 5

You need the 5 LNB dish. As I learned from other folks here, Email D* customer service. Keep the email quick (It times out and you lose all your remarks) Tell the customer service what was said and what happened. Tell them you need the 5 LNB dish and ask them not to send the same parts replacer I mean technician to your house because of all the lost time from work and you need someone who cares about solving your problems. Keep it professional and mention your being upset and they will respond within 24 hours. If you call D* ask for technical services. Try not to waste time with the first level CSR's
Read through some of the past BLOGS here, they are full of valuable information. This week I experienced the same difficulty with the first service call that was scheduled from 1 to 5 and the technician knocks on my door at 7:55 pm tired and hot to hang a new dish in the dark. Blamed the trees and left. After following these guys instructions, I had D* back out Wednesday, looked at the system, adjusted the dish, tested signals and found the problem to be a defective HR20 that they just installed and not the dish. Go figure. D* wil respond to your request. Someone here in one of these BLOG's thought some powers to be monitored the emails that come to D* and that's why you get a fast response? Anyway, get your dish and ask for a different tech to install it. One who cares.

topping trees

My questions have been answered. Thanks. I don't think the tech was wrong because I ran into this when they installed the original 2 lnb dish. I ended up having to put a separate dish in an illegal location which is why I can now get the benefits of a triple. So I will give him the benefit of the doubt and take 10' off the top of a couple of pines that are interfering and call DirecTV back to finish the job. I will update this thread once I do. Thanks all.

-iks

Hi there,

Good questions arising from iks' poor installation. If I have a 3LNB that captures the 101 sat at 91% signal strength - with some trees starting to block the signal, and I get the 5LNB dish installed on the same pole, will the 5LNB be aimed lower on the horizon or higher from the horizon than the 3LNB? I am in the Detroit area.

I am scheduled for a 5LNB install tomorrow and have concerns that those trees will block the signal on the 5LNB and DTV will have to find another location. Also, as I recall, the installer on my 3LNB (7 years ago) said that he would charge me to bury the cable from the dish to the house. Is this still true? Any thoughts on any of these concerns? Thanks!

The 5 lnb dish points at the 101 sat, the 3 lnb points at the 110 sat. Never the less, they cover the same area of the sky, except the 5 lnb needs to see SLIGHTLY more to the east to see the 99 sat. Also, you need a 2" pole for the 5 lnb dish. I think burying the cable is not part of a standard install.

Well I got the 5 LNB installed and now get local channels in HD plus NESN in HD. But I am still confused about some things

1. When I use the signal meter in Setup it gives good strength for 101,110 and 119 but 0 for 103 and 99. Is that correct?

2. Also BBC test on 499 says "searching for satellite...."

3. Are the satellites in an east to west line numerically (99 being the most easterly and 119 the most westerly (and lower)?

Thanks

Well I got the 5 LNB installed and now get local channels in HD plus NESN in HD. But I am still confused about some things

1. When I use the signal meter in Setup it gives good strength for 101,110 and 119 but 0 for 103 and 99. Is that correct?

2. Also BBC test on 499 says "searching for satellite...."

3. Are the satellites in an east to west line numerically (99 being the most easterly and 119 the most westerly (and lower)?

Thanks

If you are getting NESN in hd along with your locals in hd, then you are getting either 99 or 103, I'm not sure which one carries the Boston signals. You should be showing some signal from one of them, though.

The bbc's are working like they are supposed to.

You understand perfectly how the satellites are arranged!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)