HD OTA station not filling 16:9 screen

cableghost

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 29, 2005
Simply put, I receive channel 27.1 KDFI in Dallas, TX (their HD broadcast), however, though the picture is wider than 4:3, it does not fill my 16:9 screen (see image attachment).

I am using an attic antenna connected to my DirecTV H20 HD receiver. Note that I do receive other OTD broadcasts in HD that do fill my 16:9 screen.

This may come down to my lack of knowledge on the subject. I guess my other question would be...can a digital signal be broadcasted that is not full 16:9/1080i?

Thank you!

---------------
Scott

Attachments

• HDTV.JPG
    HDTV.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 272
Simply put, I receive channel 27.1 KDFI in Dallas, TX (their HD broadcast), however, though the picture is wider than 4:3, it does not fill my 16:9 screen (see image attachment).

I am using an attic antenna connected to my DirecTV H20 HD receiver. Note that I do receive other OTD broadcasts in HD that do fill my 16:9 screen.

This may come down to my lack of knowledge on the subject. I guess my other question would be...can a digital signal be broadcasted that is not full 16:9/1080i?

Thank you!

---------------
Scott

A digital signal doesn't have to be HD at all. Most stations aren't capable of local origination in HD, they have to send an SD image for commercials and many programs. They usually add a black bar on each side so the picture doesn't stretch out too much on widescreens. Watch for a network HD program to see what happens.

To add to the above as well, a widescreen program doesn't have to be HD either, or 16:9 aspect ratio for that matter; there are other aspect ratios and also many SD channels that air movies not in the 4:3 but in their original aspect ratios that are other than 16:9

I assume you were hoping the Star's NHL program was HD (its not on 27). Check after the game on 27-1 for a show called "Desire"; it is in HD so you can check your setup. Post back after it starts and let us know,

First, let's see if I understand in general...digital signals are simply how a station may deliver the picture, which so happens to be better quality. An HD picture resolution can only be displayed if the material was initially filmed with appropriate equipment to broadcast in HD.

Desire- the quality is much better, however, it does not fill my screen (see attached pic). To make certain that I have everything set properly, here's a bit about my H20 receiver setup:

TV Type: Wide screen 16:9
Native: Off
Screen Format: set to Pillar Box
Resolution is set @ 1080i

Thanks!

Attachments

• HDTV2.JPG
    HDTV2.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 266
Although the local guide and EPG say tonight's eps on 27-1 is HD, it does not appear to be so. So my bad on that one, sorry.

Check your same setup with 11-1 or 5-1 for Letterman and Leno, both 110% HD and yell back; FYI commercials will not be HD or 16:9 aspect.

Check Leno, he has Kristin Davis on right now. And if you miss these two shows, Conan on 5-1 is also in HD.

First, let's see if I understand in general...digital signals are simply how a station may deliver the picture, which so happens to be better quality. An HD picture resolution can only be displayed if the material was initially filmed with appropriate equipment to broadcast in HD.

Correct. They can also upconvert as well.

Desire- the quality is much better, however, it does not fill my screen (see attached pic).

See above. Odd. Fashion House is also listed in the guides as HD but not showing that way either.

To make certain that I have everything set properly, here's a bit about my H20 receiver setup:

TV Type: Wide screen 16:9
Native: Off
Screen Format: set to Pillar Box
Resolution is set @ 1080i

I am setup 99% same, except I choose stretch mode; for all the SD DBS channels.

Last edited:
Letterman is in perfect HD. With that said, someone appears to not be spending money on HD equipment. Would that be KDFI in this case, or are they simply buying the rights to present the Stars with another outfit doing the actual filming?

Thanks again for the input. BTW, from reading your Home Theater bio, it appears you may be able to sell tickets to shows at your place...even at $4.00, people would get a reduced ticket price now days with the same entertainment :)

------------
Scott

LOL! tickets; that would get me in hot water with the feds, but my kids bring there buddies over all the time and I have also become football and basketball central in my neighborhood.

As far as the Stars and their home broadcast on KDFI your guess is as good as any; it is a crying shame in this day & age that ANY pro sport has telecasts NOT in HD. I am in Phoenix and can't speculate on their issue; try calling their engineer dept, they can be very helpful. Be sure to mention that their listing in the local guide and the EPG shows HD for those specific shows, you mught get some good help. On the Stars, try calling their offices. Your RSN may have the carriage rights.

Here is a nice guide too: www.hdsportsguide.com

http://www.hd.net/nhl.html

I a nice read: http://www.checkhd.com/aw/info.aspx?page=FAQ

Last edited:
Found this: http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/nwsltr/sports/stars/stories/101906dnspostarsletter.1e656fe.html

Q: As an avid Stars fan, it pains me to see that 99% of the Stars games are not broadcast in HD (at least not on Time-Warner). Various writers and fans (including myself) will tell you that HD can help "save" hockey on TV. However it's getting harder for me to believe this when close to none of the Stars games are in HD. It's getting harder and harder for me to prove to some of my hockey-hating buddies that hockey is a completely different sport in HD. I have nothing to back it up with. Any thoughts/ideas/insight on the lack of an HD broadcast for the majority of Stars games?

• • •

HEIKA: The problem, it appears, is money. The cost of the HD feed is about $5,000 extra per game, and neither the Stars nor the broadcast partner wants to pay that right now.

In addition, there doesn't seem to be a plan with the cable providers, which probably makes it silly to pay the money. The Stars have scheduled HD telecasts for Oct. 27 (against Detroit), Nov. 22 (against Nashville), Dec. 8 (against Edmonton), Dec. 14 (against the NY Rangers), Dec. 29 (against Nashville), Jan. 11 (against Anaheim), Jan. 26 (against Pittsburgh) and Feb. 14 (against Detroit). All of those games are on FSN-Southwest, but you may not get the HD feed on your service provider (whether that be cable or dish). It's just a transition time right now.

Desire and Fashion House won't be in HD if they are delayed because of a game. 65 in Orlando shows both shows in HD, but if a Magic game is on, they show the shows afterwards. In regular format. I would assume they can't record in HD, so they are stuck showing the regular version.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts