HD PVR800 FEATURE DVB-S2

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well, that appears to be a functioning blind scan. Thanks for the testing, DVBWorld! I do like the menu structure of the receiver, it reminds me a bit of the Visionsat.

What about testing the S2 on AMC3 or AMC21 and 4:2:2 feeds on G19?
They are in China and can not see those Sats.
Looking at the TP numbers, is seems to show it Locked on a DVB-S2 TP, according to Lyngsat.
lyngsat.com/nss11.html

probably not. I have plenty of receiver made in China that have blind scan listed as options (Coolsat comes to mind) ;)

Its not a "oh we call it this you call it that" scenerio. It clearly states on the menu
AUTO SCAN which scans the existing transponders in the reciever
BLIND SCAN (Pansat calls it smart scan...fortec calls it power scan) but its the same thing. It finds the new frequencies for sports feeds, news feeds, new channels etc

I'm sure the Koreans who built the Coolsat would like to know that they are now Chinese. :rolleyes:

What about testing the S2 on AMC3 or AMC21 and 4:2:2 feeds on G19?

He's in China. (oops, Lak7 beat me too it! ;) )Those satellites are not. If you want S2 tests from those satellites, you'll have to capture the stream data like Pendragon did and put it on an accessible server so that it can be tested.

I think this looks to be an interesting receiver, even if it doesn't do everything that some people think that they are owed. Would be fun for extended testing, at least.

He's in China. (oops, Lak7 beat me too it! ;) )Those satellites are not. If you want S2 tests from those satellites, you'll have to capture the stream data like Pendragon did and put it on an accessible server so that it can be tested.

You can't test S2 that way, it's a modulation, not an encoding. You could test anything you got off of an S2 signal though, like 4:2:2 or MPEG4. But you can get those on normal DVB too.

Ice

Hope your limited requirements are now satisfied. Ooops: when you look at me from your avatar, I don't know where to run. :)

Btw, you mentioned in some post having 3 or 4 recorders hooked each to a different STB. Would you agree that this is not a mass consumer's kind of FTA setup, and usually a typical NA Sat TV watcher would probably have a single USB hard drive hooked to an STB he uses most often, and a younger person would probably be more inclined to hook a PC or network drive to the STB? That's where high bit rate recording and playback comes handy. ;)

How do you record the programs you like? Using Component ports of the STB and Recorder, while watching TV via HDMI OUT port of the STB? Are these analog and digital port types remain both continuously active at the same time in all your STB models?

Ice

Hope your limited requirements are now satisfied.

If having it be able to blind scan DVB, DVB-S2 and play 4:2:2 my "limited requirements" then I guess you're right. I don't need it to do all this weird things. I bought a azbox to play DVB-S2, MPEG4, DVB HD & 4:2:2. I could care less about playing youtube on it or surfing the web or reading some rss feeds. Thats what a computer is for ;) I want it to play the chanenls I want to watch.

Btw, you mentioned in some post having 3 or 4 recorders hooked each to a different STB.
not to each receiver. You must be confused with my setup. (At least I list my setup and not keep it some big secret) ;) Heck its posted earlier in this thread

42" HDTV on top shelf
2nd shelf on left is Shaw Direct receiver and HDD/DVD recorder
2nd shelf on right is azbox & HDD/DVD recorder
bottom shelf on left is DVD recorder/HDD and various receiver (changes...this is usually where I do the testing)
bottom shelf on right is Coolsat 5000 & Toshiba TRX1420 (analog)

now since you threw a jab at me about the "limited requirements" I guess I can throw a jab too and say what a hooker might say "now I showed you mine now show me yours" :p

Would you agree that this is not a mass consumer's kind of FTA setup, and usually a typical NA Sat TV watcher would probably have a single USB hard drive hooked to an STB he uses most often, and a younger person would probably be more inclined to hook a PC or network drive to the STB? That's where high bit rate recording and playback comes handy. ;)
I dont understand the above. There are plenty of folks on here with multiple receivers being used at the same time.

How do you record the programs you like? Using Component ports of the STB and Recorder, while watching TV via HDMI OUT port of the STB? Are these analog and digital port types remain both continuously active at the same time in all your STB models?
Again I could hide the info as a big secret like you do when its asked but since you asked I'll tell you. I have nothing to hide :)
Shaw Direct to the HDD/DVD recorder
Coolsat 5000 to the 2nd HDD/DVD recorder
"test" receiver (whatever one I'm working with) to the 3rd DVD recorder/HDD
Azbox to a stand alone HDD (Western Digital) and if I really want to record a high bitrate SD feed I hook that up to one of the 3 HDD/DVD recorder I have

HDD 1 is component 1
HDD 2 is component 2
Shaw is HDMI1 (since Shaw Direct has DVI connection I need to use an adapter and audio cables)
AZBox is HDMI2
3rd HDD is composite 1
Coolsat is composite 2

all ports are active EXCEPT the azbox has that "protected recording" thing.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/azbox-discussion/193896-azbox-puts-protected-content-programs.html
start at post 47 for my conclusions. If I flip on HDMI2 and want to record I can't. But if I use the setting for the DVD recorder it works fine. This does not affect recording to the exteral hard drive. The manual for azbox mentions that you can't record to an external source but I found the work around ;)

I too am interested in Zam's setup. (ok if i call you Zam;))
I run multiple receivers, wish i had more.
I have a viewsat and a Coolsat hooked to my 40" lcd as well as a pci card in my computer.

Maybe a new thread titled Zam's setup so we can all figure out what your asking in your threads.:)

Thanks Ice! What's the model of your HD/DVD Recorder(s)?

I say what a hooker might say...
New surprise every day. I thought, you are mostly into used car salesmen, but now such intriguing stuff is started getting revealed...:D

tds04

I'm mostly asking for common good. My setup is old analog cable TV in the kitchen, and I'm still thinking through my first "splitter setup simplified". :)

that makes no sense whatsoever. Regardless of satellite name you can still blind scan if the receiver supports it.

I didn't say anything about satellite name? Enter a new satellite, no transponder infomation exists, blind scan it, transponders show up in stb tps list. That is what blind scan is. Were you even directing your comments to me?
Maybe I wasn't as clear as I could have been but I don't think my post was "senseless"

Thanks Ice! What's the model of your HD/DVD Recorder(s)?
I have 3 Radio Shack Accurian models and a Polaroid. I don't think any of them are made anymore but Ebay has them. Thats where I pipcked up the 3rd Accurian model. All have 80GB drives and the Polaroid has component inputs which is pretty rare for a SD recorder.

New surprise every day. I thought, you are mostly into used car salesmen, but now such intriguing stuff is started getting revealed...:D

I was being funny ;)
I guess my humour sucks. Plus I hope a used car salesman doesnt say that to me :p

I didn't say anything about satellite name? Enter a new satellite, no transponder infomation exists, blind scan it, transponders show up in stb tps list. That is what blind scan is. Were you even directing your comments to me?
Maybe I wasn't as clear as I could have been but I don't think my post was "senseless"

no it wasnt directed at you.
But the post made it sound like you HAD to create a new satellite to be able to blind scan. I was making the point that regardless what satellite you pick in the menu you can blind scan. No need to enter a new satellite. The fact that later in the thread they did that proves the blind scan somewhat works :)

If the unit comes with Eastern satellites only, heck we can rename them as our western satellites and remove the TP info if we wanted

DVB World

I wanted to suggest some features thoroughly missing in today's STBs but well deserved to be added:

- when entering a new satellite name, allow the user to enter this satellite's position on the Clarke Belt. It looks like this STB allows it, but it's not clear from the pic. Otherwise in some receivers factory entered records have sat positions, but new sats entered by the user have no position listed and hard to sort and find in the list, as they always end up at the bottom. Not good, since not everyone is used to ChannelMaster, and it doesn't support many new receivers either. ;)

- Try to derive signal info for each channel, such as broadcast standard, modulation type, encryption type, color space, etc. from the processing chipsets and/or by reading the stream data, and show it on-screen. A user may elect to show it by pressing "More channel info" button on the Channel List screen. In most receivers this info about channels is hidden from the user, not listed on the same info line with TP, polarity, data rate, FEC, etc. Add it there, and you have a unique receiver without breaking your bank. Very convenient for a user, and might not require huge programming effort.

To illustrate, looking at your Blindscan results, a bugger like me would have to go through a hard to crack logical sequence to derive that your History HD Channel is DVB-S2, unless you show it on-screen with the other data about the channel. May be I missed something, but there is no FEC data shown either that would indicate what modulation is used for that channel. All this is important, in particular for frequent feeds search and rescans so loved by NA FTA fans.

Last edited:
tds04

I'm mostly asking for common good. My setup is old analog cable TV in the kitchen, and I'm still thinking through my first "splitter setup simplified". :)

now why not tell the truth? Again it seems like you have something to hide

found this in an old post of yours

My setup:

DigiMonster 33" Dish
SonicView 360 Elite
Moteck SG-2100 Motor
Invacom QPH-031 LNB

so why not say that?

Thanks Ice. My last secret got revealed. Wasn't expecting it from you. Did you say "old post"?

Or, wait a minute, haven't you shown me yours...first? Sorry what was that? :D

Don't hijack the thread pls. Where's moderator? :censored:

Last edited:
Now that we have proven DVB-S2 blind scan, can the DVBWorld receiver be tested for recording a high bitrate (~40 megabit) feed? That would be a REAL plus (even a bigger plus than 4:2:2 IMO)... Even if no 4:2:2, this receiver paired with an AZBox sounds like a winning combination...

You can't test S2 that way, it's a modulation, not an encoding. You could test anything you got off of an S2 signal though, like 4:2:2 or MPEG4. But you can get those on normal DVB too.

Yeah, my mistake. I was thinking 4:2:2! Sorry about that!

Now that we have proven DVB-S2 blind scan, can the DVBWorld receiver be tested for recording a high bitrate (~40 megabit) feed? That would be a REAL plus (even a bigger plus than 4:2:2 IMO)... Even if no 4:2:2, this receiver paired with an AZBox sounds like a winning combination...

can u tell me where do i can get the high bitrate TP in sat? i am very interest to test ur suggestion,thanks!!:up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)