HD Receiver Promotion ???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

levibluewa

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 25, 2006
WA, OR, CA
Helping a friend set up their system. They upgraded their service to HD about a month ago (I switched to Directv in November) and want to add an HD receiver to another room. Called today, figuring it was going to be $99. The CSR says wait a minute, I can get you a better deal...$19.95 plus tax! I said but we need a new line to the receiver...oh, that's included :)

I called later in the day and guess what...$99.00 :(

Any ideas out there about what's going on? what I should do to get the same deal.

Bruce

When you call back in mention the deal that you were offered. If they don't give it to you call back again. The other option is to say cancel during the voice prompt (you don't have to threaten to cancel, it just gets you to retention) and just mention that you want to upgrade let them know about the deal you were offered. That group normally does a much better job at providing discounts.

Helping a friend set up their system. They upgraded their service to HD about a month ago (I switched to Directv in November) and want to add an HD receiver to another room. Called today, figuring it was going to be $99. The CSR says wait a minute, I can get you a better deal...$19.95 plus tax! I said but we need a new line to the receiver...oh, that's included :)

I called later in the day and guess what...$99.00 :(

Any ideas out there about what's going on? what I should do to get the same deal.

Bruce

When you call back in mention the deal that you were offered. If they don't give it to you call back again. The other option is to say cancel during the voice prompt (you don't have to threaten to cancel, it just gets you to retention) and just mention that you want to upgrade let them know about the deal you were offered. That group normally does a much better job at providing discounts.

levibluewa,
The retention group has more authority for adjusting deals.
The 1st level has very few options available to them.

Jimbo

Isn't the case here that the first call was for his friend's upgrade and the second for his own? If that's true then two different offers is not necessarily wrong. Sounds like the friend has been with DirecTV for awhile and just recently upgraded to HD. The OP, on the other hand, has recently signed up to DirecTV.

I signed up with an HD DVR a couple of months ago. I wanted to do the whole house since I was happy with it but the online system wanted to charge me $70.00/ each for 4 SD receivers ($280 total), $200 for another HD DVR and $80.00 for install.

I called and simply said cancel at the voice prompt. I imagine I was pushed to retention because I got the HD DVR for $99.00 and four SD receivers for free. The install will be free also. It really depends on who you talk to and how nice you are.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)